I was wondering what people thought about Heidfeld’s chances of finding a cockpit for next year. Obviously it seems to be pretty much status quo at the top teams; as far as I can see, his main options would be:
- Mercedes: should Schumacher decide/be forced to call it a day, it seems logical that the team might turn to Nick as the test and reserve driver. However they might also try to sign Kubica. (Whether Kubica would want to go there is a discussion for another day…)
- Renault: should Kubica move, or Petrov be dropped, this would be another good option.
- Sauber: if De la Rosa retires at the end of the year as he has suggested he might, there would be a possibility here, but I think it’s unlikely, considering that Sauber had the chance to resign him this year and chose not to. Also, with the team lacking performance and sponsorship (= money for development), this would arguably be less preferable to waiting another year for an opportunity at Mercedes.
- HRT: Senna and Chandhok haven’t exactly set the world alight and it’s plausible that the team might decide that having an experienced driver such as Heidfeld in one of the cars could ultimately be preferable to the sponsorship brought by the current pair. However, he’d presumably be ‘in the queue’ as it were behind current testers Klien and Yamamoto.
- The new team? Whoever this might be, they seem likely to get their entry quite late on and not have long to prepare for the new season, rather like Lotus last year. In that scenario they might well go for an experienced hand to speed up development and show the ultimate potential (or lack thereof!) of the car, without having to wait for rookies to get up to speed.
However due to the lack of rumours regarding Heidfeld I can only presume he’s going to wait around for Schumacher to finally hang up his helmet…
What are people’s thoughts?