F1

Heroes and zeros: hypothetical team line ups

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Ned Flanders
    Participant

So, I was lying in bed last night when an idea for a Forum thread suddenly appeared in my mind. And now that I’ve slept through my alarm and missed by lecture this morning, I have a bit of time to waste. Hopefully I’m not just ripping off an idea that’s been done before.

Take the best two drivers from each teams history, and the worst two drivers from each teams history, and put them together to make either a really great or really terrible line up. It doesn’t prove anything, it’s just interesting (I hope). Here’s an example:

Prost:

Best line up: Jarno Trulli and Jean Alesi

Worst line up: Shinji Nakano and Gaston Mazzacane

Hopefully this makes sense. And, to avoid using the same drivers in lots of different teams I’d suggest limiting each driver to a single team, but that’s up to you. Here are a few more:

Ferrari:

Best line up: Alberto Ascari and Niki Lauda

Worst line up: Luca Badoer and Nicola Larini

Renault:

Best line up: Alain Prost and Fernando Alonso

Worst line up: Nelson Piquet jr and Jaques Villeneuve (after he was good)

Lotus:

Best line up: Stirling Moss and Jim Clark

Worst line up: Pedro Lamy and Satoru Nakajima

Jaguar:

Best line up: Mark Webber and Eddie Irvine

Worst line up: Luciano Burti and Antonio Pizzonia

McLaren:

Best line up: Ayrton Senna and Lewis Hamilton

Worst line up: Jan Magnussen and Michael Andretti

And so on…

KateM
    Participant

Minardi has some great candidates:

Best line up: Fernando Alonso and Mark Webber

Worst line up: Paolo Barilla and Alex Yoong

But there is probably a lot of other candidates for the latter :P. I did think Luca Badoer, but I felt bad because I don’t think he was actually that bad in his Minardi days.

David-A
    Participant

Jordan:

Best: Heinz-Harald Frentzen and Giancarlo Fisichella

Worst: Giorgio Pantano and Narain Karthikayan

Williams:

Best: Nigel Mansell and Damon Hill

Worst: Alex Zanardi and Kazuki Nakajima

Brabham:

Best: Jack Brabham and Nelson Piquet

Worst: Eric van de Poele and Giovana Amati

Benetton:

Best: Michael Schumacher and Gerhard Berger

Worst: JJ Lehto and Alexander Wurz

Alex Bkk
    Participant

I’m not sure where you are going with this Ned? But I’d say the best Macca line up was Bruce Maclaren and Senna. then Prost and Lauda, Fittapaldi and Alonso, Lewis and Kimi, James Hunt and Jochen Mass, John Watson and Dan Gurney, Jody Sheckter and David Hobbs and Keke Rosberg and Jacky Ickx… to name a few

Worst was David Coultard and Michale Andretti, then Heikki Kovalainen and Pedro de la Rosa, Stephan Johansen and Mark Blondell, Andrea de Cesaris and Alexander Wurz… then the bad drivers names really become obscure… Macca historically seems to hire some very very good drivers… More good than bad and quite a few well above average drivers.

Tom L.
    Participant

Ned, I don’t think Nakano was so bad for Prost. I’d nominate Burti instead – although your “one driver per team” thing may of course be a reason why you chose Nakano instead.

I’d also say Grosjean instead of Piquet at Renault. Regardless of the circumstances, Grosjean never showed anything like Japan ’08 where Piquet drove a solid race to 4th, or Germany the same year – although NPJ lucked into his podium he drove with a cool head once he got there, didn’t stick the car into a wall, fought sensibly with Hamilton and then held his P2. Although Grosjean never had a fair chance, the fact is he never looked like scoring points at any time during his short Renault stint.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Those are fair points Tom, Nakano did show potential in 1997, although he was driving a very competitive car by Prost’s standards. And yes I suppose Piquet did achieve some decent results, but then he was driving a much better car than Grosjean ever did, and he also had a full pre season of testing prior to his debut, whereas Grosjean was really thrown in at the deep end

And Alex- Coulthard may not have been top drawer, but he won plenty of GP’s and had a lengthy career at McLaren so I think ranking him as one of their worst ever drivers is really harsh

Alex Bkk
    Participant

Ned… if DC had been up to snuff, he would have won a lot more GP’s for Macca. He drove for them 9 bloody seasons and had just 13 wins.

I don’t think I’m being harsh… I’m being honest.

Alex Bkk
    Participant

Indeed , I’d go so far to say that DC was Macca’s Rubens Barachello.

JCCJCC
    Participant

Ned, I disagree with you about Prost, Nakano was a nice driver, and he managed to do some good performances in 1997 and even in 1998 with the Minardi. I would nominate Burti and Mazzacane instead.

In Lotus, I don’t believe Lamy deserves that nomination, I would choose instead Bartels or Dumfries.

Minardi: Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber

Nicolas Kiesa, Tuero

Jordan: Frentzen, Hill

Khartykheyan, Baumgartner

Tyrrel: Stewart, Schekter (sorry Alboreto…)

Rosset, Bailey

Arrows: Hill, Patrese (sorry Warwick…)

Inoue, Rosset

Sauber: Heidfeld, Frentzen (sorry Raikkonen…)

Fontana, Boullion

Mercedes Best:Fangio, Stirling

Mercedes Worst:Hans Herman (career best 7th in a very, very dominant car),Andre Simon(never scored a single point in his whole career)

Todfod
    Participant

As pathetic as it is

HRT’ Best Lineup – Senna and Klein

HRT’s worst lienup – Karthikeyan and Yamamoto(unless they find someone worse this season)

Dan Thorn
    Participant

I disagree with JCC’s suggestion of Tuero as a bad Minardi driver – IIRC he was actually quite promising, despite leaving in unusual circumstances.

Great thread Ned!

Ferrari

Best: Gilles Villeneuve, M.Schumacher

Worst: Gianni Morbidelli, Arturo Merzario

I’ll do more later when I’m not half asleep…

David-A
    Participant

He drove for them 9 bloody seasons and had just 13 wins.

Scribe
    Participant

So, I was lying in bed last night when an idea for a Forum thread suddenly appeared in my mind.

You know your an F1Fanatic when…

McLaren

Prost and Senna.

All it would have taken was better man management, I mean really.

Ferrari

Lauda and Villenurve

Lauda scheming his wins, Villenurve godding them out of the car.

I’ll think of some mares later.

f1alex
    Participant

How about:

Williams:(best) Ayrton Senna

Alain Prost

(worst)Alex Zanardi

Antonio Pizzonia (does he count because he only did a few races?)

Funny, I’ve just realised they all start with ‘A’. Spooky!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.