F1

High nose vs Low nose

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Eggry
    Participant

We all know Caterham chose very high nose(and almost flat), but it seems, interestingly, it’s not the only choice of 2012. In an article about 2012 Ferrari on F1.com, it show Ferrari now has low nose concept and…pull-rod front suspension!!

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2012/0/930.html

so the first technical battle of 2012 will be high nose vs low nose. since Mclaren would launch their 2012 car today, it would be interesting to check which nose they have.

raymondu999
    Participant

Flat? How is that flat? There’s a huge step change in the middle.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Because the actual nose is defined as the section in front of the bulkhead, which is the point where the step is visible. everything behind the bulkhead is defined as part of the chassis. Think of it this way: in an accident that destroys a front wing, the pit crew will remove the entire front end. This is the nose. Everything behind it is the monocoque.

Mike
    Participant

@raymondu999

Ignoring the bump, the team were trying to make it as high, and therefore as flat as possible. The numb is force on them due to the rules.

This Ferrari doesn’t look quite as “extreme” as I was expecting. Maybe it’ll look more bizarre when I see the real thing.

Those sidepods are really cut in, and I think it’s interesting that the exhausts being used to affect the read wing proves John Beamer correct.

Eggry
    Participant

@Mike yeah, I think the most interesting part of the car is sidepod. or should I say side impact structure? Anyway, Ferrari really did aggressive move.

raymondu999
    Participant

@Mike @Eggry do note that this is a rendition of what Piola thinks/assumes/knows. Piola is a good source, but you never know…

Eggry
    Participant

@raymondu999 True. but I think it’s too radical to be bluff. We will know how accurate it is soon…

Mike
    Participant

True, Still, we’ve got the Mclaren to occupy us today.

raymondu999
    Participant

@Eggry I didn’t say he was bluffing. But that is Piola’s guest guess/estimation; and based on what he might or might not have heard. It’s like I tell you now “Microsoft shares will go up by 6.3% tomorrow.” You have no way of knowing if I know something that you don’t; or if I’m just making an educated guess.

Eggry
    Participant

Indeed. Just one more interesting thing to be seen.

GeeMac
    Participant

Judging from the picture of the car under it’s cover which is on the espnf1 website, the nose will be similar to last years. Looks like the sidepods are where the magic will be…

Calum
    Participant
    GeorgeDaviesF1
    Participant

Mclaren have proved that you dont have to have the “platypus” nose, wonder if any other teams have gone down that route?

I didn’t like high nose 09 cars at first

Zadak

I wander if anyone will try a really low nose this year, like the Brawn.

They proved a really low nose wasn’t useless, but maybe there is just less room to develop, compared to the high noses.

raymondu999
    Participant

@thezadak Hard to see that happening, much as I loved the look of that Brawn car. The reason for that was to keep the car’s CofG low at the front as you used to need to ballast the front with the 2009 tyres. That doesn’t happen now; and also, you want the nose ever higher to allow more air in to feed the diffuser.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.