Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 22 hours, 45 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Highest number of gained places during a race.

This topic contains 32 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Icthyes Icthyes 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Fixy
    Fixy
    Participant

_John told us the answer in the “Who am I?” quiz: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/forum/topic.php?id=906&page=15#post-23741

Profile photo of Ned Flanders
    Ned Flanders
    Participant

Another driver worth a mention would be Mika Hakkinen, who went from 22nd on Lap 1 to finish on the podium at the 1999 Austrian GP, after he was punted off the track at the Remus Kurve by a certain BBC commentator…

Profile photo of Hairs
    Hairs
    Participant

I once got from second to third base during a race.

Profile photo of Boon
    Boon
    Participant

i remember catching this GP2 race in Turkey on the off chance one day… can’t tell you what position Hamilton drops to but he eventually finished 2nd. very distinct memory of ‘woah, he’d be cracking in F1. bit red mist though’

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbjRFd205qo

Profile photo of Mack41
    Mack41

@Ned Flanders Its Jonathan Legard whose to blame right?

Profile photo of Icthyes
    Icthyes
    Participant

David Coulthard!

Profile photo of Mack41
    Mack41

hahaha I know lol. it seems every things Legard’s fault though

Profile photo of Mouse_Nightshirt
    Mouse_Nightshirt
    Participant

In all this vein then, what’s the biggest time deficit made up by someone in a race?

Profile photo of Icthyes
    Icthyes
    Participant

Mansell was something like 26 seconds behind at Silverstone in 1987, but I think there have been greater ones, maybe Fangio.

Profile photo of Pionir
    Pionir

I think The biggest time gap made up is likely to be Fangio at the ‘ring.

In lap terms, it’s worth mentioning Jim Clark at Monza in ’67. In the 60s, Monza was the ultimate slipstreamer race – if you got spat out of the pack, you were considered to have no hope.

Clark lost a lap because of a puncture and came out in 15th, but he managed to get the whole lap back (through pure speed no some yellow flag), overtake *everyone*, and take the lead. The best victory in F1 ever was spoiled when he ran out of fuel.

Profile photo of rabbit
    rabbit
    Participant

@ Pionir

Small correction – he came out 16th , one lap behind the pack . Overtook everyone and regained first place . His car had not been fueled for such a fiery performance , so he had to pull back a little . He finished 3rd .

Profile photo of Icthyes
    Icthyes
    Participant

Mark Webber, 18th to 3rd, 20th at one point has to be up there in the Top 10 or something.

Profile photo of Doance
    Doance
    Participant

Yes but as it has already been said in this thread, Barrichello started 18th and went on to win. Not good enough Webber…

Profile photo of Icthyes
    Icthyes
    Participant

Mark Webber, 18th to 3rd, 20th at one point has to be up there in the Top 10 or something.

Profile photo of Scuderia
    Scuderia

Yes, but Rubens had safety cars to close the field up and help him. Webber had none.

At the start of lap 11 he was 60+ seconds off the lead and in 21st place.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.