• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 37 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Honda to return

This topic contains 45 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of AngrySteve AngrySteve 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author

I’d be quite sad to see McLaren’s chrome livery go, to be honest.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@magnificent-geoffrey – I’ll be happy to see it go, too, if only because I think it’s time for a change. When Vodafone joined the team as title sponsor, they really should have pushed for a new design of their own, instead of just keeping the West silver.

Calum
    Participant

Full Earth-Dreams livery please! O_o

BasCB
    Participant

That is mean @calum! I agree with @prisoner-monkeys – the livery needs an overhaul, its really getting boring by now.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@bascb – I reckon a throwback to the Yardley livery would work very well. It’s made up of thee colours, all of which work well for McLaren and their partners.

Firstly, there is the white, which has always been Honda’s major colour (except in 2007).

Secondly, there is the red, which has been used as a secondary colour for Honda (as a “rising sun”), and is the major colour of Claro, who have been tipped as McLaren’s new title sponsor.

And finally, there is orange, which is a McLaren colour – but it keeps the orange to a minimum, preventing it from clashing with sponsor colours.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@Prisoner-Monkeys

A few people have experimented with what the McLaren-Honda car will look like (without orange): http://25.media.tumblr.com/6ddafc852e4ebdae4f54705ed926c2bd/tumblr_mjj637IvIF1rct6yjo1_1280.jpg

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’d like to imagine that McLaren will do more than simply change the silver to white. That’s just lazy.

Nick
    Participant

I wouldn’t be so quick to throw the chrome overboard. They make that paint with help of Akzo Nobel, which wouldn’t be happy to see such an eye catching chrome go from their products.

If anything, we might get a white chrome style colour. I’d prefer something Prisoner Monkeys is talking about, though. I think those tumblr mock ups are pretty old, going by the Vodafone sponsorship…

Calum
    Participant

I’m sure the new title sponsor will want a say in any new colour scheme.

You need to get Mclaren, Honda and “Title sponsor” all in agreement over the livery. Will Honda want a very corporate mainly red and white, (similar to BMW’s blue/white with Sauber, or will they be happy to let the title sponsor go crazy with their colours? Who knows.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Honda won’t get much say unless they’re funding the team. Even then, they have no ownership of McLaren, so they won’t really have any influence.

Asanator
    Participant
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

More of a whimper than a bang – your prediction was out by an entire year.

BasCB
    Participant

I think that Honda will get significant room on the livery in return to supplying the engines free of charge. One I liked – a telmex/honda in cigarette livery mix up effort – http://wtf1.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/McLaren-2015.jpg, altough personally I am not really in favour of all the “retro-look” liveries and would prefer something new.
    Having a bit of orange in it would certainly spice it up. Maybe having a opalescent white to replace the chrome to satisfied Akzo (see what @calum mentions about that one) would be a nice tough, and it would look really sharp especially in all the dusk/night races we have now!

Asanator
    Participant

True enough however it was long before anyone was discussing it and my last statement was ‘if not 2014, soon after!’

Scott O'Dell

Baring in mind the last time Honda left, they had basically built a championship winning car, I’m well up for them returning. Lucas, that mockup looks awesome, although a McLaren car without silver would be weird.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.