F1

How could F1 improve?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Rozi2002
    Participant

Anyone got ideas during this crisis?

PorscheF1
    Participant

Getting rid of Bernie could be step one.

Lower cost fees for the tracks should be step two.

Make sure every major country with a decent amount of fans has several ways of watching the races is then step three.

Create a new model of distributing the money from 2016 onward is step four.

Allowing new teams to enter without entry fees for the first two seasons is step five.

Djangles LeVaughn
    Participant

Those five steps cover what I was going to suggest. But realistically for any of that to happen would be if one person or a group of wealthy people were to buy F1 off CVC. It would be hefty purchase granted, but if the new owners weren’t as money hungry as CVC then perhaps maybe the billions of dollars this business generates could be used more wisely.

Mackeine Loveine
    Participant

1 – Reduce costs and introduce things that are not that expensive to sustain F1. An example is bringing back those V10 engines.
    2 – Getting rid of Bernie (as said above) and put people that are responsable and make up good decisions for the love of the sport. And that they work well on money.
    3 – Introduce V10 engines
    4 – Vanish suscriptions and lower ticket prices
    5 – Open F1 to the social media.
    6 – Attract important slonsors that could also promote the sport hugely.
    7 – Ditch DRS, and make tyres more durable (No medium compound, just SSoft, Soft and Hard)
    8- Allow teams to do creative designs within some specific results- like in the early days.
    9- Just make it closer to the fans.

MazdaChris
    Participant

In the V10 days, teams were spending more on engines than they are now.

Rozi2002
    Participant

I think the f1 you tube channel should include full races and full quali and practice sessions

I’m thinking break-away series….but seeing that NASCAR is more popular than the IRL (That’s not what it’s called nowadays but really is what it happens to be) means that I’ve got to be more careful with what I wish for than that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@xtwl has got it right.

There is actually nothing wrong with the racing. In the 2000s (and even in the 1990s to a degree) we were crying out for more overtaking. Now we have it, and still people aren’t happy.

It’s the cost of running teams that are the problem. And as a cash-rich formula, it has a duty to make sure those who are busting a gut to put on the show are remunerated properly.

And Bernie’s condescending attitude to everyone in the audience is now a liability and an embarrassment.

Nick
    Participant

Right now, I’d say downsizing.

Ultimately, we wants the circuit fees and the cost of running a team to go down. This cannot happen without also losing some income (from the circuits) and without sacrifice. You can’t however just cut on two or three places and keep running a company like nothing happened. I think it will boil down to taking less crew to races, having less crew, less windtunnel time, etc. This will also limit development, jobs, etc, but frankly that’s the only way I can see costs being cut without some unmanageable cost cap or giving the FOM less money (and in turn, them giving the teams less money) while expecting the teams to maintain their current budgets. A downsize like this is still largely unmanageable in a sport with this many constructors and other stakeholders, though.

The only way I see F1 moving towards a more ‘grounded’ financial and commercial stance is to go NASCAR/Indycar and become a stand-alone series which manages its own rules, commercial rights and races. The thing is, the teams will never pry F1 from the FOM or FIA, not to mention there will always be teams who will want to continue with F1. So, frankly, F1 needs to fall entirely before it can walk, in my eyes.

Mathers
    Participant

Quite honestly, I think we need F1 to collapse before anything major will be done. It needs to go back under the full control of the FIA. Reduce costs through a modest but manageable budget cap, and open up the grid. Get more independent teams racing, the manufacturers are important, but when they inevitably leave, we need a solid base of dedicated teams that can keep the show going.

I’d like unification of the open wheel championships throughout the world anyway, with a clear ladder. It’s never going to happen but I can dream.

First step out of karting would be national F4 championships, much like the set up they are workin towards now. The different chassis and engines that are being used would however be balanced, allowing for a world final of the most successful drivers from each series.

Next up would be Formula Three. This would be more regional, with the European F3 as the model. Add in support for an Asia-Pacific, North American and South American championship and all of the major land masses would be represented. The chassis rules would be much as they are now, and the idea of a world final in Macau would be maintained.

Formula Two would be much like GP2 now, but with open chassis and engine competition, run to a balance of performance regulations. The chassis can be bought from a supplier or built by the team. There would be a European based International series, and it would run as the main championship on the bill, visiting the world class circuits F1 currently misses. Keeping the costs low with a cap in this would enable this series to be a viable option for career drivers rather than only being a stepping stone for F1. There would be Asia-Pacific and Pan-American Championships as well, perhaps attempting to unify Super Formula and IndyCar as the basis for these championships.

Finally would be F1. It would be where the manufacturers play, but the regulations would be close enough to F2 that any team that builds their own F2 car could relatively easily make the jump up to F1 with some upgrades and a new engine, while the manufacturers would be restricted to the same cost restrictions.

It might not be a good idea in the end, but I would love to see a single seater ladder where there is a viable career below the top level (I know there is now in Indycar, but the cars are different enough to restrict their opportunities for getting a drive in Formula One) and where teams are able to pick talent ahead of money due to far more reasonable costs.

Steve Lloyd
    Participant

Had a think about this last night. It seems to me that the problem we have at the moment is that having pre-race qualifying that determines your initial track position has the significant downside that the best driver/car combination (Hamilton+Mercedes, Vettel+Farrari) starts at the front and 3 timers out of 4 leads a procession to the finish. The result is that the reward for being the best driver in the world is that everyone finds you rather boring – they’d much rather watch Crashtor crash out (again) or the rookies fight it out for 12th place.

How’s about the following proposed solution to the problem

• Scrap quali (and replace with another day of free practice)
    • Keep the final position-based points scheme as at present (25, 18, 15, 12 etc) but give drivers a bonus, based on the number of net places they’ve made during the race. As a straw man, the bonus could be the difference in the normal position points, so, for instance, a driver that starts P5 but finishes P2 gets 18 points (for finishing P2) plus 8 points (the difference between the P2 points – 18 – and the p5 points – 10) for a total of 26 points, one more than the number of points that someone starting P1 and finishing P1 would have scored.
    • Starting grid position works as follows: After final free practise, each side of each garage secretly chooses the position they would like their driver to start at (it’ll be somewhere between P1 and P11, since the above scheme gives no incentive to anyone to start P12 or below). Race control collect everyone’s bids, work out the relative positions of each car (choosing the order of drivers who’ve chosen the same initial position randomly) and announce the result. Thats the order for the race the following day.

I suggest that will give us a much more interesting race than we have at present. Lower order teams will want to start near the front to maximise their chances of scoring points at all (hoping to keep the field behind them for as much of the race as possible and pick up top 10 final position points), whereas higher order teams will typically want to be further back so that they can collect significant bonus points for moving up the field. The result will be that we’ll have the fastest drivers at the back executing as many overtakes for race position as possible and much more driver interaction. Its a win-win for sponsors too. I can’t imagine that Mercedes sponsors are that happy to have minimal coverage of their cars tediously disappearing up the road while all the action takes place in midfield – think how much more value for money they’d be getting if they saw Lewis and Nico carving their way through the field in every race.

There’s also a nice poker/gaming angle to this. Does Lewis aim for a low starting position and risk Nico starting and finishing at the front while he struggles in the midfield, unable to overtake one of the Williams’ say? Lots of material for F1 pundits to play with.

Worth pitching to Bernie?

Steve Lloyd
    Participant

A follow up to my post above. I think this would have to mean a scoring system that gives points for all positions in the top ten (or at least a bonus scheme that rewards drivers starting arbitrarily far back). As I’ve pitched it above, a driver starting 11th and finishing first gets the same number of bonus points as a driver starting at the back and finishing first (which would mean that the secret ballot above would result in everyone asking for one of the top 11 places and, in practise, anyone that asked for 11th is likely to end up at the back). As long as theres always a bonus for climbing one place, whereever you start on the grid, there will always be a demand for places at the back.

Strontium
    Participant

More Kimi Raikkonens would be nice. Straightforward, no stupid interviews.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not in favour of any more changes to the points. Already too many are handed out too freely. Back in the late 80s/early 90s there were 39 cars entered, 30 would go to quali, 26 would start and only 6 would score. Now we have 20 cars for 10 point scoring places. Before points were something to be prized, a reward for a finish.

It’s time to stop chopping and changing rules and allow some stability. All that is needed is a fairer distribution of the huge amounts of money washing around F1. There is nothing wrong with the racing.

Michal
    Participant

1. Get rid of Bernie to begin with.
    2. Replace current DRS rules with push-to-pass like system or a certain number of uses per race.
    3. Put the gravel/grass at Rivage, Parabolica, Interlagos T1.
    4. More free-TV and lower ticket princes. Less money for FOM and more equal distribution.
    5. Start to use VSC system.
    6. More European races, less in Abu Dhabi, Russia, India, Korea.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.