Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 10 minutes ago

F1 discussion

How do the new engines sound at the track?

This topic contains 32 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Michael Moran Michael Moran 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Robert Raponi
    Participant

We were at the Canadian GP, at the entrance tot he hair pin. As my brother has attended every race held there since 1997, we have first row seats, literally no more than 2 m from the edge of the track. The sound of the new engines is disappointing. The new engines and energy recovery systems take the rawness out of the experience; it is too sterile. The old V-8′s were not just loud (painful in these seats without hearing protection) but you could feel the sound in your body and you could smell the exhaust and the brakes. I did not use any hearing protection this year which would not have been possible with the V-8 engines. We have attended the ALMS events at Mosport since 2008. The HPD cars running the Honda turbocharged engines sounded much better than the current F1 engines. I was expecting this type of sound but was disappointed. The Mercedes engine was the best of them. I am sure if they actually revved up to 15 000 rpm, the sound would be much better.

My brother and his friends who have been attending since 1997 are considering not coming back next year although there main beef I believe is the lack of competitiveness from Ferrari. There is a much different buzz in the crowd when Ferrari is winning. I will be back for at least one more year.

Ibrahim
    Participant

Was at Sepang for my first race in person. Been following since mid 80′s. I am not at a F1 race to hear tires squeal, I can do that in a honda civic. I am at a F1 race to get that raw emotional gut feeling. Since it was my first race in person, I loved every minute of it, but wish I could have experienced it prior. If you want to hear the trackside PA system, buy a cheap radio with headphones, voila. I also don’t go to F1 to have lengthy conversations with people sitting next to me. If I hear one more delusional parent on here praising the new F1 “for the childrens ears sake” LOL, you could have brought them prior and got them some ear muffs yes? So for my experience, the cars sound OK, but not great was my feeling. I have a friend who had a 07 Audi RS4 with Magnaflow catback exhaust, and I got more of a raw feeling hearing that thing. Yes, if you compare these v-6 to the ear shattering drone of the v-8′s, these may be better, but better than what we have had in the past? There are some pretty comical arguments on here praising the benefits of this new f1. Yes, the world will eventually run out of petrol, and when will that be exactly? 100 years from now? More? So F1 is THAT ahead of the game, hahaha. F1, 100 years before the rest of the world! Yes, there was fuel saving techniques in days gone by, but coasting through corners lap after lap like I saw Hamilton doing in Malaysia at the final turn? I don’t think so. I would still be willing to guess that if F1F did another survey and based it on age and years following F1, the majority of the yah yah love the new F1 would be youngsters. Nothing wrong with that of course, but if the numbers are to be believed, F1 is in decline, so just how is this new F1 working out for you??

Michael Moran
    Participant

I was in Canada also. While it was nice to not have to wear earplugs and I enjoyed what sound there was, it was still missing something. I guess the easiest comparison would be the difference you experience driving your car to get the best fuel economy & when your accelerating to pass someone. In person, just when the revs are starting to get to the point where the sound is getting exciting, they shift. It is very frustrating to know what the engines are capable of & have them restricted due to fuel flow limits.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.