F1

How has F1 affected your life?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Girts
    Participant

So F1 is our passion. We watch every race, cheer for our favourite drivers, read F1 news every day, form opinions and discuss the sport with our friends and online. However, it’s probably even more than that. Can you think of how being an F1 fan has affected your life?

Here are some examples of how my love for the sport has changed my life:

1) I have significantly improved my foreign language skills by watching and discussing F1 in German and English.
    2) I have made new friends on F1 Fanatic.
    3) Occasionally I use F1 for analogies in talks.
    4) F1 has sometimes been kind of a ‘shelter’, a place to hide from the trouble in my life.

duncanmonza
    Participant

My interest in F1 has distracted me from doing many things, such as studying. I would currently be a rich Lawyer by now had I been less distracted by F1 during school.
    Jokes aside, sometimes when I am stuck in an essay and cant think of things to write, I write about the most relevant F1 situation I can think of for the topic, always fetches me a few extra hundred words.

Slr
    Participant

Last year during the Canadian Grand Prix, I planned that after the program, I would revise for an exam the following morning. However the race went on two and half hours longer than expected and I barely did any revision in the end. I did okay in the end, but it could have been better. It didn’t matter that much anyway, because I was going to drop the subject afterwards anyway. Sometimes I find it hard to prioritise anything over F1.

It meant that I got to meet @ned-flanders <3

matt90
    Participant

It would be one less form of procrastination and I would be heading into my final year of uni with a strong 1st.

Fer no.65
    Participant

1) I’ve improved my english by a long way!. I started reading news in english because the best articles about F1 come from the UK, so I was virtually forced to improve my english. After a while, I barely studied, I just went to the exams and passed easily. I got an A in the First Certificate too!

2) I usually get seriously pissed off with all the lies and mistakes in local newspaper news. It’s horrible to read that Nico Rosberg races for McLaren or that Michael Schumacher scored pole last saturday. I even discussed it with a journalist and HE insulted me because I was correcting him. Man, I’m just a fan and I know it’s not pole position… Same with the latin coverage: they talk rubbish.

3) Sacrifices. Staying up till 4 am to watch the race live isn’t really that cool… specially if you have to do it in two consecutive weekends, like this year with the Australian and Malaysian GPs.

4) F1Fanatic. I’ve found my place on earth with this site…

th13teen

Where my F1 love, has turned into obsession, there is no two ways about it…I am very unsocial especially over a raceweekend…and even more so when Mclaren and Lewis don’t do well.
    My life now evolves around F1, its one of my only topics of conversation that I can actually start!
    However I would not change it for the world!…there is something about a community involved with F1, that I feel you don’t get from other sports!

MuzzleFlash
    Participant

Adrian Newey is my childhood hero, so I’m now two years deep into an Aerospace Engineering degree.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

I get nagged more by my parents, because I’m always watching, looking something up about, or talking about F1…

Girts
    Participant

@fer-no65 All of your 4 points are very relevant to my experience, too.

By the way, I still regularly learn new English words and expressions when reading F1 news, analysis and discussions. Seriously, I didn’t know what ‘platypus’ and ‘fugly’ are before fellow F1 fanatics started discussing the 2012 cars.

Guilherme
    Participant

1) I really hope it changes everything in my life, as my ultimate dream is to work in an F1 team and I’m studying and working towards that right now.

2) I made some true friends here on F1 Fanatic, and for that I must be always grateful to @keithcollantine, for that would never happen if this site didn’t exist.

3) My English improved a lot too (although much of my basic learning came from videogames when I was 10 or 12 years old, specially from Final Fantasy VIII :P), and I learned a lot of new words from F1, specially technical terms.

4) And I got into more than 10 arguments with my girlfriend because of it, specially when she wants to go out during the Canadian or Brazilian Grands Prix (as those are the only ones that are aired at noon here) and I refuse :P

raymondu999
    Participant

Am I the only one here whose life didn’t change, other than when I’m watching F1? :s

Kingshark
    Participant

I slipstream on the highway when I have to pass someone on the road.
    I always defend the inside line when someone tries to pass me on the highway.
    In the morning when I first get my car out of the garage, I weave to get heat into the tyres.
    When I see my fuel-tank is low, I need to save fuel!
    I take a bit of the side-curb when making a turn on the road.
    I use the racing line when running a distance race.
    When it starts raining, I feel like driving back in my garage and changing to Intermediate tyres.
    Every wet road seems dry after Japan 2007.
    I am dissapointed when I take two-tenths longer to do my homework than the day before.

Whenever I’m either driving on the road, doing my homework, or running a race – I always have an awkward feeling that Fernando is faster than me.

damonsmedley
    Participant

@slr The Canadian Grand Prix was so painful to watch — but completely worth it! It started at 3 AM and I should have slept beforehand, but I decided to stay up instead. That proved a particularly unwise choice when there was still 20 laps to go and the sun was rising! I think I went to bed at about 9 AM. That had quite an effect on my day! :-D

Guilherme
    Participant

@damonsmedley But sleeping to wake up at 3AM is not a wise choice either! Usually at that time we are sleeping so deep that we would have a hard time waking up. I missed last year’s Malaysian GP because I decided to sleep, but was so tired that the alarm clock didn’t wake me up! Usually when the races are at 4AM or 5AM I prefer to sleep early and then wake up, but if it is at 3AM then I stay awake.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.