F1

How to watch F1 in your region

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 166 total)
  • Author

As I see a lot of comments asking how to watch different racing series in different countries, I thought it would be useful to start a series of threads where people can share the relevant information. I’m trying this out with four series to start with.

Wherever you are in the world, it would be helpful if you could spare a minute to offer the following information for each channel that broadcasts Formula One live in your area:

1. What country are you in (and state, if applicable)
    2. Which channels broadcast F1 near you?
    3. Do they show all the races live or only a limited number (if so, how many?)
    4. Do they also show qualifying live?
    5. Do they also show practice sessions live?
    6. If they are a subscription channel, what does a full year’s subscription cost (excluding limited time offers)?
    7. Do they broadcast coverage online? If so please post link/s
    8. Please supply any other relevant information such as alternative viewing options

Here’s an example for the UK:

1. UK
    2. BBC
    3. 9 out of 19 races live in 2014
    4. Yes, for the same races
    5. Yes, for the same races
    6. n/a
    7. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/
    8. A TV licence is required to view live all television programming in the UK: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/

1. UK
    2. Sky Sports F1
    3. All
    4. All
    5. All
    6. £522 (Sky and Sky Sports subscription, minimum contract 12 months)
    7. http://go.sky.com/vod/page/default/home.do http://www1.skysports.com/formula1/racecontrol/
    8. 24-hour channel access can be bought for £9.99 from Now TV: http://www.nowtv.com/sports

InSilico_
    Participant

Ireland.
    RTL.
    All the races are live.
    Yes.
    Only highlights of FP3.
    6. If they are a subscription channel, what does a full year’s subscription cost (excluding limited time offers)?
    It is a free to air channel.
    I think so but it might only be for people who live in Germany.
    8. Please supply any other relevant information such as alternative viewing options
    It’s a German channel. All you need to do is get a satellite and point it at astra 19.2 east and you receive RTL. It’s also worth noting that you also will pick up a channel called Sport 1. Last year Sport 1 showed FP1 and FP2 live but they only showed FP2 live for Australia two weeks ago so it might only be FP2 they show this year. You can watch this with radio commentary from BBC radio 5 live. There are adverts, but listening to the radio when the ad’s are on keeps you up to date.

@insilico Is there no way of watching F1 in Ireland besides picking up a German satellite channel?

InSilico_
    Participant

@keithcollantine Of course we can get Sky F1 and BBC aswell. The method I’ve posted above is just a brilliant way for people in the UK to watch F1 live for free, and I wanted to share it because it could be very helpful for a number of people who can’t afford Sky.

Steven
    Participant

In Canada, your only choice is TSN, otherwise, there may be the odd race where it may only be broadcast on NBC Sports (I’ve seen this with the Canadian and US Grands Prix).

If you prefer a French broadcast (French-Canadian, not France), RDS is the best bet, and they typically do shortened-length re-runs of races after the live broadcast.

Generally, TSN/RDS are your only bet (apart from the odd NBC broadcast) and they will only broadcast qualifying and the race, nothing else. While RDS does have their own French commentary, the TSN broadcast is just the BBC live feed (I don’t recall if they use the Sky feed, but they must since some races are broadcast live by Sky and some by the BBC).

Motorsports broadcasts are scarce in Canada, and SPEED used to be decent for other series (V8SC, DTM, ALMS/WEC) between their NASCAR programming.

What’s good is that TSN/RDS are typically part of lower cable packages, whereas SPEED will likely require an add-on package. Unfortunately, I don’t know of any live web streams, but I believe SPEED does air practice sessions and such which would normally not be aired on TV anyway.

The best way to watch motorsports programming in Canada is to turn to online sources (their legality can be questionable). Live streams are usually of very poor quality (and being GMT -5 most live Grands Prix occur while I’m asleep) so I’ll typically resort to bittorrent. I won’t go any further than this or post any links.

the_sigman
    Participant

1. What country are you in (and state, if applicable): Greece

2. Which channels broadcast F1 near you? OTE TV
    3. Do they show all the races live or only a limited number (if so, how many?) ALL
    4. Do they also show qualifying live? YES
    5. Do they also show practice sessions live? YES
    6. If they are a subscription channel, what does a full year’s subscription cost (excluding limited time offers)? They are, I think around 20 euros
    7. Do they broadcast coverage online? No
    ———————————————
    2. Which channels broadcast F1 near you? Alpha TV
    3. Do they show all the races live or only a limited number (if so, how many?) Every race, some delayed
    4. Do they also show qualifying live? No
    5. Do they also show practice sessions live? No
    6. If they are a subscription channel, what does a full year’s subscription cost (excluding limited time offers)? Free TV
    7. Do they broadcast coverage online? If so please post link/s No

:)

@sigman1998 €20 for a full year? Jealous…

hunocsi
    Participant

Hungary
    M1 (national television)
    All live.
    All live.
    All FPs of Hungarian GP (as it’s the only race where the whole crew travels to, maybe Austria will join this year too), for the rest of the year they only show the FP2’s replay on Friday night.
    Free. (I don’t think you even need any sort of subscription for some of the basic channels, including this one)
    I’m not sure, if yes then they probably put a link for it here: http://www.telesport.hu/
    But based on the Winter Olympics and football matches, the picture might be very low quality.
    They do a BBC F1 Forum-like aftershow online where they mostly answer viewers’ questions.
    For alternate options, we used to have ORF1 (Austrian TV) but I’m not sure since geographical blocking became popular.

The experience isn’t great, they can’t afford to go to the races, but it’s really not too bad, the lead commentator only started last year (he was a race reporter for years before that) so he’s still on a learning curve (the previous one was a nightmare, I sometimes read criticism of Crofty, but he’s better than perfect compared to that guy), we have a very good pundit next to him (Gábor Wéber – Seat Leon Eurocup champion, also had a few WTCC races). The commentator is also the presenter, there’s a few more racing driver pundits (Norbert Michelisz – WTCC Yokohama Trophy and race winner, Seat Leon Eurocup champion; Tamás Pál Kiss – GP3 race winner, Auto GP racer; Norbert Kiss – touring car driver, currently in European Truck Racing Championship), so the crew is pretty good, the problem is mainly the lack of funds, only one guy goes to all GPs, and we pretty much only see recorded interviews (although they might have started to share in-race comments from drivers who didn’t get through in qualifying or retired in the race). The best feature is probably F1 fizika (F1 physics), where a physics professor explains some stuff – last year they pretty much covered the basics (drag, DRS, ideal lines etc.), I’m curious how much they will cover this year’s new technologies.

Did I say too much?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Italy
    Sky F1, RAI (1 or 2)
    Sky show all races live, RAI show half of the races live and half delayed*
    Sky show all qualifying sessions live, RAI show half of the qualifying sessions live and half delayed*
    Sky shows all practice sessions live, RAI does not show them either live or delayed
    Sky costs
    7. Do they broadcast coverage online? If so please post link/s.
    Sky has an application to view channels from PC/tablet/phone, don’t know if/how much of the functions are limited; RAI broadcast live here

*Live (on RAI) Grands Prix:
    Bahrain, China, Canada, Austria, Hungary, Italy, Singapore, USA, Abu Dhabi

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@keithcollantine – I was going to say that. Unfortunately we’re not on Sky, and are on Virgin Media instead, and I’m paying £30 per MONTH for the F1 channel. Granted it is actually for the entire Sky Sports package though, despite the fact I only want the F1 channel. I think it’s stupid though that they won’t just do me the F1 channel, they’d still be making money.

RetardedF1sh
    Participant

1. What country are you in? – Finland
    2. Which channels broadcast F1 near you? – Full races on MTV Max (nothing to do with Music Television) and highlights on Sub
    3. Do they show all the races live or only a limited number? – All races
    4. Do they also show qualifying live? – Yes
    5. Do they also show practice sessions live? – Yes
    6. If they are a subscription channel, what does a full year’s subscription cost? – Last year 5€/month, this year 20€/month (so 180€ for march-november)
    7. Do they broadcast coverage online? – Yes, but not for free ( a bit cheaper 90€)
    8. Please supply any other relevant information such as alternative viewing options – They have a lot of extra coverage both before amd after the races and qualifyings

Mitch
    Participant

1. What country are you in? – Australia
    2. Which channels broadcast F1 near you? – Qualifying on One, full race on Ten
    3. Do they show all the races live or only a limited number? – All races live
    5. Do they also show practice sessions live? – No
    6. If they are a subscription channel, what does a full year’s subscription cost? – Ten and One are free to air channels
    7. Do they broadcast coverage online? – Yes, http://tenplay.com.au/sport/formula-1
    8. Please supply any relevant information such as alternative viewing options – Qualifying is shown live on One, which is an HD sports/entertainment channel owned by Network Ten. Races are shown on the network’s main channel, Ten, in Standard Definition only. The coverage uses the Sky F1 commentary and feeds, with ad breaks a plenty. There is typically half an hour of discussion by the Australian team before and after each session.

mantresx
    Participant

Mexico

Fox Sports Latin America
    3. Do they show all the races live or only a limited number (if so, how many?) – All live and also delayed.
    5. Do they also show practice sessions live? – Yes, since 2012.
    6. If they are a subscription channel, what does a full year’s subscription cost (excluding limited time offers)? – Available in basic cable, some start at €10 a month.
    7. Do they broadcast coverage online? If so please post link/s – No.
    8. Please supply any other relevant information such as alternative viewing options – Available in HD 720p60. Production based in Argentina so there’s always satellite delay with the Mexican commentator (very annoying), also the occasional Argentinian tv advert.

Foro TV (Televisa)
    3. Do they show all the races live or only a limited number (if so, how many?) – All, delayed only.
    4. Do they also show qualifying live? – No.
    5. Do they also show practice sessions live? – No.
    6. If they are a subscription channel, what does a full year’s subscription cost (excluding limited time offers)? – Free to air in some regions, basic cable in others.
    7. Do they broadcast coverage online? If so please post link/s – No.
    8. Please supply any other relevant information such as alternative viewing options – Production based in Mexico, horrible football style commentators, no coverage other than the race itself, the worst broadcast I’ve ever seen, but hey it’s free.

TELMEX website.
    3. Do they show all the races live or only a limited number (if so, how many?) – All.
    4. Do they also show qualifying live? – Yes.
    5. Do they also show practice sessions live? – Yes.
    6. If they are a subscription channel, what does a full year’s subscription cost (excluding limited time offers)? – Completely free! Just go to the site and start watching.
    7. Do they broadcast coverage online? If so please post link/s – Yes, it’s online only: escuderiatelmex.com/transmision/
    8. Please supply any other relevant information such as alternative viewing options – It’s a simulcast of the Fox Sports channel, so same commentators and tv commercials. Maximum resolution is about 360p, occasional drop in connection when viewing in a mobile device.

jsw11984
    Participant

New Zealand
    Sky Sport
    Yes, ironically enough using the BBC commentary not Sky!, also coverage only starts when cars are on the grid, but before the parade lap
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes, they are a subscription channel, think its about $1000-1200/year, but not 100% sure as I can’t remember all the different package prices
    Yes, but you have to have a Sky NZ account
    They also have a mobile app, but as above you need a Sky NZ account to access it, also AD free

Lord Stig
    Participant

United States
    NBC Sports Network
    All
    Yes
    Only FP2
    Depends on provider. (Example: $60/month “Digital Starter” from Comcast)
    Yes. Included with TV subscription. Not available as a internet only subscription.
    None

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 166 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.