F1

How will KERS work in 2014?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tom_ec1
    Participant

From today’s Autosport website, on 2014 engines compared to current spec:

“The current KERS currently produces 80hp for 6.7 seconds per lap, while the new ERS will deliver 161 hp for 33.3 seconds per lap.”

I know the 2014 sporting regulations haven’t been published, but has there been any indication about whether either ERS system (either kinetic or thermal) will be available to the driver at the push of a button (but for only a short amount per lap) as it is now.

Would be a shame to lose this feature as it can be quite interesting strategically in a race situation.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I believe KERS is going to be full-integrated into the engine. The driver will no longer have any direct control over it, because it will always be operating. Instead, KERS as we know it will be replaced by TERS, a thermal energy recovery system, which gathers energy that would otherwise be lost as heat.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

if kers was to be no operated by the driver this would be stupid. and if it was to be allways on, then there’s no benefit!

KERS isn’t intended to work the same way as it does now. It will become a part of the overall engine package, and will always be working. Instead, TERS will perform the function that KERS currently does, with the driver pressing a button to utilise the energy harvested.

rob lomas
    Participant

Back in the 80s overboost was how far could you turn the screwdriver and how brave the driver was :D

crr917
    Participant

TERS can not perform the function of KERS as electric power can be converted to torque only by KERS unit (MGUK). TERS(MGUH) should work only as electric generator. Setup with extra boost on demand works but I don’t that we can talk separately about them as the system is one – ERS, and its parts are not interchangable.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.