• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 36 minutes ago

F1 discussion

How will the 2014 cars look

This topic contains 72 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of spoutnik spoutnik 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of andae23
    andae23
    Participant

@infinitygc Uhm… no comment? :P

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I suspect some of this is alarmism from teams, exaggerating the appearance of the car, then asking for it to be repealed on aesthetic grounds so that they can enjoy the performance benefits.

Heaven forbid that they should have to come up with some clever designs. Especially when it’s easier to cry wolf over the appearance.

Profile photo of toiago
    toiago
    Participant

As long as I don’t have to see such horrendous designs, even if they gain or lose performance.

Profile photo of Roald
    Roald
    Participant

It’s a shame FIA doesn’t understand fans want cars that look good. It’s not the most important thing in the world, but for a federation so obsessed with “improving the show” they quite succesfully come up with rules that make the cars as ugly as possible. Just looking at a car from the early 2000’s makes me sad, they looked fantastic.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Actually, there is both a valid reason for this rule, and a valid solution to the problem.

The rule is born out of concerns that high noses could penetrate cockpits in the event of a collision. It’s not without precedent, either; in 2011, Michael Schumacher spun on the opening lap of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, and Tonio Liuzzi crashed into him in such a way that the Force India mounted the Mercedes. It was a frightening accident as Schumacher nearly received a face full of speeding Formula 1 car.

The solution is simple because it already exists: McLaren did it last year with a nose that gradually sloped down from the cockpit to the front wing. Admittedly, the 2014 rules call for a much greater slope, but the problem is that the teams are unwilling to sacrifice the aerodynamic benefits of a high monocoque, and so slap on the easiest solution because moving to a low monocoque means changing everything about the front end – which McLaren did this year and seriously screwed up with.

There is a myth among fans that the sport’s administration is self-serving, out of touch and generally evil, and that the teams are a downtrodden force for good. But this is untrue – as teams have demonstrated before, they will happily flaunt the rules, double cross each other and manipulate the media if they think it will get them an advantage. This is no different: they don’t want to risk losing the aerodynamic benefits of a high monocoque, so they complain that it will look ugly to stir up dissent among the fans.

The reason why the drawing published by Autosport is so ugly is because the way the narrow tip of the nose extends beyond the front wing uprights. There is no reason why thus assembly cannot be one – except to get maximum revulsion from the fans. They’re manipulating you to get what they want because it’s quicker and easier than making the effort to do it properly.

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

A nice theory PM, except that the step noses turned out just as ugly as sketches suggested. So I don’t see why this will be any different.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Because the teams are stubborn. There is more of an advantage in a high monocoque than a low one, so the big teams won’t do it. And the small teams have to do it because they won’t want to risk their current positions.

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

I still don’t see why that means the noses won’t actually look like that.

Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

I quite like the Lotus E21, I think the nose fits the straight lines on the car pretty well actually. RB also have a stepped nose that fits in, as it did when it had ridges as well.

If the teams complain about the nose, they should just force through changes that really improve the show, such as un-repealing the GE increase, to go with a better looking nose. If there is to be another rule change (probably to increase performance as noted by @prisoner-monkeys above), then we the fans should get some benefit from it in increased overtaking. I say that because GE/more overtaking changes were taken out on cost grounds – now they want to redo the noses again, after a change from last year already. They should have just ruled for McLaren 2012 noses, but maybe that would be giving them the advantage… (They still look like the McLaren anteater noses anyway)

“and it looks like the Virgin’s tip got into the Force India there…” :/

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@fastiesty – The 2012 McLaren noses are what the FIA wanted. Or at least something similar to it. But the teams have obviously refused to give up on the high monocoque because of the aerodynamic benefits, and so they built cars around the high monocoque and did whatever needed to be done to make the noses comply with the rules, and then complained that the noses are ugly as if they were forced into designing them that way.

@matt90 – Of course the noses will look like that. The teams won’t give up on aerodynamic benefits where they are available. It’s just a slap in the face when they try and manipulate the fans or the media into an uproar over something they created themselves, blame it on the FIA (or Pirelli, as the case may be), and then claim they are doing it for the good of the sport when they are just trying to get the outcome that is best for them.

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

My mistake, I thought you were suggesting that the complaints were an exaggeration to try and get the fans on-side.

Profile photo of GeeMac
    GeeMac
    Participant

2014 – The year of the turbo phallus.

I’ve spent some time going through the F1 technical forums and a couple of the early renders their users came up with actually predicted the sort of design Craig Scarborough came up with. @prisoner-monkeys is right, the mock ups we are seeing are the result of the teams refusing to give up their high monocoque because of the aero benefits they get from them.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@matt90 – In a way, they are an exaggeration to get the fans on-side. The teams have done their best to keep the high-monocoque concept and the advantages that come with it. However, there had been done degree of compromise, so they release these images to trigger a backlash from the fans in the hopes that the fans will put pressure on the FIA to return to a prettier design – and one which conveniently restores all of the aerodynamic benefits they have been forced to give up. Which has been their intention all along. They couldn’t care less about pretty cars unless pretty cars are faster cars; they will happily build an eyesore if they think it will go faster. But they know the fans want pretty cars, so they use that to get what they want.

Profile photo of Zantkiller
    Zantkiller
    Participant

@jaapgrolleman
    That doesn’t look that bad I guess.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.