F1

HRT sue Chandhok, Driver Contracts.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    TrueF1Grit

I’m surprised this isn’t already being discussed on here;

Team principal Colin Kolles told India’s Deccan Chronicle that contrary to media reports, Chandhok was “suspended” after the British GP.

“When he signed an agreement with us for the 2010 season, Karun made a lot of promises on paper,” Kolles said. “But, he failed to fulfil his obligations. We waited for some time, but we didn’t have any other choice than suspending him at the German GP. We, however, did everything diplomatically. We didn’t make it public. Since then, Karun was never in the team’s radar.”

Its a shame, but I wonder what the conditions were? I mean his finishing positions / speed was impressive?

Maybe the court case will provide an interesting insight into driver’s contracts, I always wonder what Barrichello’s 2003 contract conditions were, especially after Austria 2002.

Icthyes
    Participant

I think it’s total BS, in the words of Bulldog. If he was suspended, we would have known this long ago. They would have no reason to bring Chandhok along with them to races in team gear and play the act; it’s not like Indian merchandise sales were that great.

I think the obligations were simply supplying sponsorship money. HRT are turning out to be a right sleazy bunch, but what did we expect with Kolles at the helm?

US_Peter
    Participant

I don’t think HRT were a sleazy bunch until Kolles arrived on the scene.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I suspect it’s jsut Kolles reationalising the choice of Karthikeyan over Chandhok. Karun wasn’t the fastest driver, but he was certainly popular with the fans, especially after his stints in the commentary box. A lot of people were asking funny questions when Karthikeyan was chosen – he had never been mentioned as a possible candidate for the drive until he announced he had signed on – so I suspect Kolles is trying to explain it away.

Its a shame, but I wonder what the conditions were? I mean his finishing positions / speed was impressive?

He was apparently supposed to pay them $8 million, but the team only ever saw $2 million from him.

Icthyes
    Participant

Kolles is HRT. Before him it was Campos.

Funkyf1
    Participant

I said this somewhere in another post. It’s a double edged sword. HRT want money, sponsors want results, it’s practically impossible to achieve both without huge financial backing. Karun might of had those sponsors and that commitment from them, but the way HRT performed and handled itself in the first half on the season, it would be of no financial gain to have your company associated with his car or team. If Kolles had brought this to the attention of the media earlier in the season, HRT could have been in danger of losing more money, still if he chooses to sue Chandok, Karun might as well counter sue him for killing his career.

TrueF1Grit

Well a driver contract is a legal document, if it required him to show 8 million and he only brought 2, thats quite a lot of money lets not forget. But they shouldn’t be publically realising this so late, if it was that much of an issue it SHOULD have been brought up back in Britain. What are they expecting to get out of sueing Chanhok? If he didn’t bring 8 million, I doubt he has it. Its a shame, dropping him should have been enough, or they shouldn’t have left it so late.

sw6569
    Participant

I also read somewhere that Chandhok deliberately withheld payments as he realised the team were going nowhere and it was just damaging his career. Might not be true, but I think I read that – can’t find a source though

sw6569
    Participant
    Anonymous
    Inactive

@sw6569

*sigh* Poor Chandhok, he deserves it!! He will be there some day, I know it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oops, double post.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.