• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 5 hours, 26 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Hulkenberg ‘too heavy for McLaren’

This topic contains 30 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Loup Garou Loup Garou 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of wsrgo
    wsrgo
    Participant

Thanks, @aish

Profile photo of Aish Heydrich
    Aish Heydrich
    Participant

@wsrgo: You can find Total’s Annual Report, which is a public document available in their portal, and in their Geographical Segment Report they’ve mentioned high value investments in South East Asia and India, so you may find some outlets where you can buy their products. Not too sure about Calcutta but North India defo.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I have been up close to Webber & Hulkenburg and they are the same height – Webber maybe a bit higher- 6ft, The hulk maybe a tad wider and Mark leaner (a tad) but really pretty similar- both are not too heavy for F1 but maybe too heavy against a team-mate!!

Why wouldnt the FIA go a maximum car weight and if the driver is heavier, like above so be it??

Profile photo of wsrgo
    wsrgo
    Participant

@aish Okay, I’ll be sure to check it out.

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

@Garns: The thing is Webber, Button, Hulk, Sutil, Lewis and Kimi are decently built to be called athletes but as you mentioned Webber and Hulk are taller when compared to Kimi, Lewis. Sutil and Di Resta are also not too short either. So the thing is – cut down weight by taking on short drivers but they must be strong enough to handle 5 G’s. And that’s asking a lot from drivers. This is the reason why drivers like Wurz, Kubica, Montoya etc are going to be less competitive even if they’re technically more sound.

Profile photo of Enigma
    Enigma
    Participant

Being the devil’s advocate just for the sake of argument -

why should the FIA (or anyone) worry about this? Physical attributes are important in all sports. The best basketball players are all pretty tall, that’s just how it is. Ski jumpers need to be light and tall football players are usually not too successful. If you’re a capable driver that’s also small and light than you’re better off than someone as capable but taller/heavier. It’s just how it is, life isn’t fair.

Profile photo of Max Jacobson
    Max Jacobson
    Participant

@enigma my problem with that argument though is that in F1 it’s totally unnecessary: height is still a slight disadvantage, granted, but weight shouldn’t be an issue: you could just have a car weight limit at say 600kg and a driver one at 80kg (for the new regulations), so anything under that (say one driver weighs 60kg) has to be added as ballast to the seat, so as not to have it in the usual “preferable” positions.

Height will always be an issue I imagine, but there’s no need for weight to be one.

Profile photo of bananarama
    bananarama
    Participant

I don’t see why this should be so difficult for the self proclaimed most technically advanced sport in the world. Raising the minimum weight of the car in general isn’t very useful as a 10kg lighter driver will still have 10kg more weight to shuffle around inside the car.
    What I think is more sensible: Driver plus seat must weight no less than 85kg (or whatever people think is best). The weight of the seat must be evenly distributed, same density to the material across its entirety (or if there are concerns thats to heavy for safely extracting the driver in case of an accident, make the seat two layered with the inner layer as it is and the outer “weight-layer” removable).

It is true, in most sports it is important to physically be a good fit to the requirements of the sport, but for example in football there are many different kinds of players that can be world class (sometimes because they are different), in ski jumping rules have been amended to better reflect the diversity of the field and in F1 it could be rather simple to make it a bit more fair, then why not?

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

@enigma
    tall football players are usually not too successful.-
    Ever heard of Ibrahimovic? Pretty tall, super successful. Also, Manuel Neuer.. i can go on if you want.

Profile photo of Enigma
    Enigma
    Participant

@aish I know, that’s why I said usually. And I think only a few good footballers have been over 2 metres (Koller springs to mind). But anyway, I’m not too knowledgable about football so feel free to ignore that part of my post and just look at basketball and ski jumping.

@vettel1 You’re right on that, regarding weight it can be solved pretty easily. But if a driver is very tall, that’s just how it is.

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

I think @bananarama has got the right solution and it’s not very complicated either. I’ll endorse that idea.

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

Now that Whitmarsh has officially put the word out that they’re not talking to Nico, I wonder what’s in store for him, especially after his immense drive today in Korea. Life is unfair in the short run, but does pay up in the long run, happens to everybody.

Profile photo of Jarred Walmsley
    Jarred Walmsley
    Participant

I would hope that given his performance today that Nico could be in the running for the 2nd Lotus seat, has there been any word on who is favourite to fill that spot?

Profile photo of Enigma
    Enigma
    Participant

@jarred-walmsley According to Ted Kravitz, it’s between Massa and Hulkenberg, with Hulkenberg being the favourite. He deserves the seat, no doubt.

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

Nobody can fill in Kimi’s shoes other than Hulkenberg. He should be the one. If Lotus can get him then they would have got a perfect hedge for the loss of Raikkonen.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.