F1

Ideal F1 team

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Theo Parkinson
    Participant

If you were a team boss what drivers would you pick? It’s not just a case of the two best drivers, they would have to work together well and not fall out, push each other hard, have similar driving styles to develop the car easier, and ideally you’d want drivers in or about to go into their prime. I’d go with Hamilton and Hulkenberg.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Seconded.. perhaps only wanting to put Vettel in there. Imagine a Ham/Vet team mate combination. From the pace side it would be interesting to see. I’d have Vandoorne as reserve, just so I can race him on the simulator!

InSilico_
    Participant

Well if Haas do make it to the grid in the next few years, I’d absolutely love to see an all American pairing – Danica Patrick and Alexander Rossi.

Theo Parkinson
    Participant

The sponsorship would be amazing!

Bradley Downton
    Participant

From this year’s driver’s I think I’d have to go with Hamilton and Hulkenberg as well.
    Although I’d also take Sergio Perez or Fernando Alonso as back-ups.

However, if I could pick driver’s from recent times, but not necessarily in this years’ Championship, I’d go with Hamilton and Anthony Davidson.

Davidson – in my opinion – was the most wasted F1 talent for a while. He showed he was immensely quick over one lap, going faster than Michael Schumacher in a Ferrari on a number of occasions in a BAR!

I’d also consider Bruno Senna, Sam Bird, and James Calado, and probably more that won’t come to me just at this moment!

Mathers
    Participant

I’d have Alonso and Vettel without a doubt from this years grid, but I’d love to see Tom Kristensen and as Bradley says Anthony Davidson, that would be a pairing!

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Agreed @bradley13. He was unlucky in that he was behind Button in the British pecking order.. a bit like Jamie Green with Lewis Hamilton. Di Resta was too but he managed to break through eventually via Mercedes. Now, we have Calado and Bird behind Chilton bizarrely (mainly due to money). Dan Wheldon saw this coming and moved to America, winning Indycar and the Indy 500 multiple times. Sauber wanted Wheldon in 2006 (probably to replace Villeneuve) but he wouldn’t commit to a test driver role while still winning in the USA, so that place went to Kubica eventually.

Imagine a Button/Davidson lineup at BAR/Honda, when in 2004 Sato only managed one podium at Indy. Talking of unluckiness, what about the 2007 Canadian GP – ahead of Sato and deep in the points, he lost his front wing to a beaver crossing the road, and then Sato took the plaudits (and points) for overtaking Alonso later in the race.

Davidson has also had a hand in the development of illustrious cars like the 2004 BAR and the 2009 Brawn GP challenger, which was originally the 2009 Super Aguri, while Honda pulled the plug on them in 2008 after they thrashed Honda, led by Button in 2007, without the input of Davidson. If Super Aguri made the grid in 2009, he would have scored quite a few podiums, Senna or Sato too. He’s still the development driver for Mercedes after ten years at BAR/Honda/Mercedes, helping to develop the current dominant car in the sim, and with his size is an ideal fit for the current formula – he’d look beastly in an overweight Toro Rosso, Sauber or Caterham. I wonder if Mercedes would call up di Resta or Davidson in the event of Lewis or Nico missing a race….

Here’s a theory – perhaps Davidson developed the cars for Button to do so well in. Now he’s alone at McLaren, Jenson is struggling, and he was always the junior driver before Davidson arrived at BAR with him in 2002/3.

Hamilfan
    Participant

I would also pick Lewis Hamilton and Nico Hulkenberg . I am immensely looking forward to Hulk in a competitive car just to see what he can do . That would be enough incentive for me to sign him up ( assuming I have enough $$ )

Another good enough combo would be Alonso and Lewis . I know their past , but somehow I feel they can be in the same team someday .

If I were to pick upcoming talents, I’d pick Danil Kvyat and Magnussen . They both look pretty hungry and super quick .

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@fastiesty – I think this calls for a separate topic, as I reckon a number of people will have an opinion on this!

ForzaAlanRabbit
    Participant

I’d pick Hulkenberg and Bianchi.

Theo Parkinson
    Participant

Amazed no one has said Kimi.

spoutnik
    Participant

I’d go with Alonso and Vettel :)

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@theo-hrp – Really? I’m not. From the impression he gives I’d imagine he is REALLY difficult to work with, and he’s not exactly a stand-out talent that would over-ride that fact.

Steven
    Participant

That’s hard to say, I think I’d go for a Hamilton/Vettel mix (just to see the team implode), Hamilton/Alonso (well, they’ve imploded once, and I think both have matured a lot since 2007), or a Hamilton/Ricciardo (not sure how this one would go).

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@bradley13 True! I only just thought of it while writing that post..

@hamilfan
    They are definitely the first two of the ‘next generation’ to follow, or those born closer to 1995 than 1990. The next youngsters to join should also probably be put in this category, e.g. Nasr, Frijns, Vandoorne, Sainz Jr, even if they are older, as it’s Magnussen and Kvyat they will now be compared with (experience-wise).

@theo-hrp
    If it was still 2013, I would be happy to have anyone from the top 5 – namely HAM, VET, ALO, RAI, HUL (can’t remember the exact order, but I’m pretty sure that was Keith’s top 5 for the year). Out of those 5, Hulkenberg is the youngest, while Hamilton currently looks on better form than Vettel or Raikkonen. Alonso also looks strong as ever. HAM and ALO possibly being the best two so far this year just undermines how strong a combination it was in the 2007 McLaren, if they can still be the best two drivers 7 years later.

Does anyone else also notice how Vettel/Raikkonen seem to be on form at one point, while Hamilton and Alonso are on form at the opposite time? I’m sure it comes down to driving styles vs. subtle tyre changes etc. Kimi said his style might not be suited at the same time as Vettel is being outdriven by Ricciardo (more aggressive driver?). Kimi is a master of weight transfer, and always needs a strong front end.. Button as well. Aggressive guys like Lewis will oversteer the heck out of everything and thus can drive a bucking bronco rear end (thus why Lewis was perfectly suited to 2007-8).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.