F1

If you could give two drivers an F1 drive, who would it be?

• This topic has 10 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    InSilico_
    Participant

I’m thinking this could be an interesting thing to discuss. Imagine that a new team joins F1 for 2015 and they are immediately on the pace – almost like a resurrection of Brawn. This team is similar to the performance of Mercedes/Ferrari/Red Bull i.e near the front of the grid. You have the power to choose which two drivers to put into this team – who would you choose and why?

Maybe let’s have two aspects of this question. Firstly, you can put any person in any form of motorsport in this team. So WEC, IndyCar, GP2, GP3, Nascar.. let’s even say MotoGP, Rallying etc. Just as long as they are active in whatever motorsport category, then you can choose them.

Secondly, and completely different to the above, you have the power to choose two drivers who are either retired from motorsport or have passed away. You have magical powers to bring back two drivers to an age where they were at the peak of their career. Again these drivers can be from any form of motorsport – two wheels or four wheels.

Just thinking about the vast array of driver combinations you can choose from is really interesting.

We’ve got a poll along similar lines going at the moment here:

Who would you replace this year’s drivers with?

Anonymous
    Inactive

The two drivers I’d give drives to are: Jolyon Palmer and Alexander Rossi. The GP2 champ should get a seat in F1 the next year – he’s earned it. Rossi because he seems very intelligent and articulate, with a great judgement on car set-up.

Two I’d bring back: Marc Surer and Stefan Bellof. Neither had a chance to show what they were really capable of – for very different reasons.

hunocsi
    Participant

One of my choices for the first category isn’t included in the vote, that is Robert Wickens – I think he’s been always a great performer (GP3, FR3.5, F2) in any category he’s been in, he got to Mercedes in DTM during a weak period for them but still got two victories in the last two years and deserved one or more two as well. The other one would be certainly an LMP1 driver, I can’t really decide between Andre Lotterer, Neel Jani and Anthony Davidson – probably Jani because he was unbelievably good in his first year with Porsche. A reserve pick would be Jann Mardenborough – had he come through the ranks in the usual way I’m sure he’d be an F1 star by now, but his missing years mean he’s missing just a bit.

I’d be having a bit more difficult time choosing the other two, because I don’t really like to rate drivers who drove before I started watching motor racing or before I even was born, and most of the drivers in the last decade and a half either haven’t completely retired from motorsport after leaving F1 or I didn’t like them too much. So one of them would be probably Jean Alesi or Mika Hakkinen (I have a bit of a soft spot for French drivers so more likely Alesi), and if we have magic power the other would be certainly Jules Bianchi.

So in short:
    1) Wickens – Jani
    2) Alesi – Bianchi

Kingshark
    Participant

Robin Frijns by far.

second would be Robert Wickens.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Dean Stoneman and Andre Lotterer.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

“Magic power” instantly makes me think of Wimille-Fangio or Senna-Schumacher in equal equipment! The two legendary driver battles that were never fully realised!

Public opinion from Keith’s poll has Magnussen-Vergne as the prominent line up for a ‘resurrected Caterham’.

Pre-season testing drivers indicate it might be Wehrlein and Palmer, especially if it was powered by a Mercedes engine and backed by MSV ;).

If we are rescuing promising careers that would otherwise disappear, it would have to be Frijns and someone like Ocon, Kirchhoefer etc. with two/three seasons to get into the groove, like at Toro Rosso.

Rescuing recent lost drivers, Kubica-Bianchi would be a stellar line up for a ‘second Ferrari’ team, maybe called Alfa Romeo or something like that..

Adding in two wheels would need a valid four wheel comparison as well.. for this I’d go with Surtees-Rossi. Kubica-Loeb could be another for rallying.

Davidson-Lotterer would be an interesting F1 “what could have been” comparison at their peaks vs. their peers at their peaks, namely Alonso, Raikkonen, Button, Massa, Webber.

To compete against drivers currently at their peaks, Kobayashi-Di Resta would fit in well with a second Ferrari squad to go up against Grosjean, Hulkenberg etc.

GeeMac
    Participant

1) Best of what is out there: Anthony Davidson and Simon Pagenaud.

I have always felt that Ant never got a fair crack at F1 and that he is hugely talented. His WEC title proves this and he would be an asset to any team on the F1 grid. In all the racing I have watched outside of F1 over the last few years it has been Pagenaud who has really stood out, he has a wicked turn of pace and turned into a genuine contender last season. He was brilliant. I wouldn’t be surprised if I made a genuine push for the title next season with Penske.

2) Resurrecting/un-retiring driver line up: I would form a Scottish superteam and have Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart.

Christopher Rehn
    Participant

1. Robin Frijns and Felix Rosenqvist
    2. Ronnie Peterson and Michael Schumacher

Anonymous
    Inactive

Daniel Abt and Marvin Kirchhoefer – I have a soft spot for these Germans since they debuted in GP3, and while the latter is still on track to become a future champion, things have gone badly for Abt in GP2 and are continuing that way in FE.
    My ideal driver combination: Rudolf Caracciola and Niki Lauda
    The what-ifs: Stefan Bellof and Alessandro Nannini

Nick
    Participant

Out of the other categories I’d pick Sam Bird and Mitch Evans. Both drivers have made a very solid impression on me in GP2 and I personally feel Bird could have been a solid driver for a team like Sauber or Force India already.

With the magic powers I’d go for Jacky Ickx and Stefan Bellof. Perhaps a somewhat morbid combination (regarding Bellof’s accident) I feel that Bellof could have very well been the first German race winner after Jochen Mass. Ickx came very close to winning a championship, but ended up in a lot of unfortunate circumstances as far as cars/teams are concerned. I’d love to see what Jackie could do in a very competitive F1 car.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.