F1

Indy car from 2012 onward – inspiration for F1 car design?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BasCB
    Participant

I am interested in he IndyCar proposals from differing teams for a 2012 and onwards package (information about the options here: http://machinedesign.com/article/choosing-indycar-s-2012-chassis-design-0520 ).

I would love FIA, FOTA and FOM to do some work on agreeing what they want from their cars as well, although not as a spec. car, but as a guideline enabling teams to bring a car forward and stating what basics it should have.

I think the team at BAT engineering has some thoughts that would be a real good inspiration for F1 as well (link http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns /theway/2010/the_way_it_is_no233.html ).

I like the thoughts on:

1. engines / drive trains (but F1 should have some more innovation here) going with V6 turbos doing 500 – 750 HP depending on the track, instead of embracing the FIA world engine 1,5 litre.

2. where to get the downforce from (underbody, wings mostly for trimming)

3. The driver seating position (sitting more upright, not lying. This makes for better vision and better safety).

4. the cars being constructed to be able to take some damage without breaking down.

Some of the thinking here can be very much applied to F1 as well, opening up the way to better racing.

On a last note, which of those designs do i like?

The Delta Wing is a very extreme concept, too much for my liking. The Swift car looks more like a open wheel racer only in name and not sure about the futuristic looks. Dallara is a pretty conservative looking car, Lola and BAT have a modern looking car but not too futuristic, so those are probably my favourite designs.

Please join the discussion with your views on F1 desing and lessons learned from Indy (and other formula)

Nutritional
    Participant

Call me conservative, but I like the design from Lola that still looks like and open-wheeled race car. I think F1 rules definitely have to be more innovative in the engine/mechanical department in order to attract major automobile companies into the sport

dsob
    Participant

The spec for the 2012 IRL cars will be out about the time the 2011 season opens, or before(I’ve forgotten the exact date now). And full marks to IRL for planning well ahead and being so organized. Personally, I rather like the BAT design.

F1 needs to take the lead from IRL on timing. F1, if it follows it’s usual path, will finalize the tech regs for the 2011 season in January 2011. No wonder F1 seasons start slow, with even the major teams sometimes looking like amateurs.

BasCB
    Participant

Nice to see some action on this subject still. I completely agree with you on the IRL planning ahead.

I think the changes being made to F1 now for next season make it hardly possible for a new team to have any chance of succes and it will be a pretty tough one for the smaller teams as well.

And the BAT design appeals to me as well, i like their design philosophy and the car is still looking like a racing car.

dsob
    Participant

“I think the changes being made to F1 now for next season make it hardly possible for a new team to have any chance of succes and it will be a pretty tough one for the smaller teams as well.”

Same thing they did with the 2010 season. FiA apparently never learns.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.