F1

Inherited victories

This topic contains 20 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Simon 2 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Girts
    Participant

To be honest, I do not think that victories are ever “inherited”. Even if you call them like that, inherited victories are no less worthy than the ones where the winner leads every lap or overtakes the whole grid on his way to the first place. F1 is a combination of a lot of things so if your rival breaks down (Hungary 2008), crashes (Canada 2005) or simply has the wrong tyres (Indianapolis 2005), then you still fully deserve to win because you have built the more reliable car, your driver has been more consistent (maybe also a bit slower but it does not matter) and you have done a deal with the better supplier.

@girts But I never said they are less worthy. You have to admit some of them have occurred just for plain luck, though. I know it’s hard sometimes to climb to second, but sometimes a crash takes the two leaders out, as hulk and hamilton in Brazil 2012 or the two red bulls in Turkey 2010.

Girts
    Participant

@omarr-pepper Don’t get me wrong, I like this topic and it was interesting to read all the examples, it’s just how I see it: A win is a win and sometimes F1 is really about winning as slowly as possible, as Fangio once said.

Anonymous

There are some wins that came as a result of disqualifications, does that count in this assessment? Like Nannini’s only win at Suzuka 1989 when Senna was disqualified in front of him, and De Angelis at San Marino 1985 when Prost disqualified in front of him.

Jonathan
    Participant

Good point about the wins gained by disqualifications – I’ll add that Prost is in the strange position of having lost on an on track win after he was disqualified from the 1985 San Marino race, but he also gained a victory at the 1982 Brazilian GP having only finished third but Piquet (1st) and Rosberg (2nd) were both disqualified for the water-cooled brakes.

Damon Hill gained a win in the 1994 Belgian GP after Schumacher’s disqualification for skid plank wear, although when Schumacher was disqualified from the same year’s British GP Hill had won the race on track so that one doesn’t count.

Simon
    Participant

@rodney @Jonathan How about wins gained by disqualifications and then lost after appeal! Gerhard Berger declared winner of Brazil 1995 due to fuel irregularities in Schumacher and Coulthards cars only for Schumacher and Coulthard to be reinstated after appeal.

Not related to disqualifications but also thought of Brazil 2003 when Fisichella was declared the winner after lap count back.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.