F1

Interesting F1 insight from a sports lawyer

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    pH
    Participant

In a Czech weakly I read there was an interview this week with a lawyer called Stovicek. Never heard of him, but I gave it a try. I learned that he specializes on sports law, working for big (Czech) stars, even making it into international sporting associations, especially FIA. Here’s a quick translation of a bit that I think might be of interest.

Q: Did anything ever surprise you in a courtroom?

A: (thinks for a while) Well, perhaps in Formula 1, it takes time to realize what kind of money moves about. The first time I judged a driver, I think it was Button for some infraction, the four-man senate decided on a fine. They asked me how much. I had no idea, so I tried 10,000 dollars and they all started to laugh. I apologized for exaggerating and suggested $5,000. They explained to me that there is no point trying anything under $100,000 as they would not notice.

Q: In 2007 you were actually deciding at the International Court of Appeal whether Raikkonen wins the championship.

A: It was tough, funny and bizarre. We were supposed to do it in Paris, but there was a strike, so we moved to London. I happened to become the chair of the tribunal, which felt funny, as I had distinguished 70 years old lawyers, advisers to presidents, under me, which I found hilarious, but I was also scared. We reached a decision, but if we published it in London, under the British law, it would be vulnerable to attack. So we moved our proceedings by train back to Paris, where the strike just ended, and concluded our deliberations there. It was thrilling.

Q: Do you know some F1 drivers in person?

A: Yes. I’ve met some of the younger ones on circuits (Stovicek in an amateur circuit racer). I root for young drivers, and I am not very fond of the old dinosaurs that are sitting there for so long, I think they should vacate their spots. I think Magnussen or Bottas have a big future in front of them, if they get the chance.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@ph Well, that’s probably why Button could accept a base rate pay cut from 12 million to 2.5 million!

Red Bull are clearly thinking along those lines too – the average age of their 4 drivers being under 21 next year?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.