F1

Interlagos track modifications

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    magon4
    Participant

Have there been any comments or maybe an article by @keithcollantine about the “new” Interlagos project? Would love to know more about it.

Cucamest
    Participant

It was mentioned in the Round-up about a week ago. The link to the original article should be there and if you scroll down in the comments I posted a gmaps pedometer link to how the track would look with the planned modifications. Hope this helps!

Kingshark
    Participant

Apparently they are planning some major changes to the track by 2015.

The start/finish line and pits will be moved to the Reta Oposta straight, so Curva Lago will become the first corner on the track and Curva Sol the last. I have mixed feelings about the idea, the cars at the start of the Brazilian GP entering the Senna S is one of the most iconic images in modern day Formula 1, but at the same time, moving the finish line to the back straight will allow more last-sector banzai overtaking opportunities, and the Senna S corner complex is still there (though no longer at the start). Likewise, they can finally fix the ridiculously long pitlane, which took up almost half the circuit.

They are also planning to upgrade the facilities and paddock, similar to the changes Silverstone underwent in 2010, though I don’t think anything about layout itself.

Cucamest
    Participant

@kingshark

This is what is written in the article:
    “…the construction of a new three-storey pit building on the current back straight. This will needed to be widened and further track work will be needed at the bottom of the straight, as this will now go around the lake before rejoining the existing track behind the new paddock area.”

So they are planning on making the circuit go around the lake before making it come back on the current track.

Here is how to might look:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6001154

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think realistically there is not enough run off area where the track goes round the lake so they will probably fill part of the lake in and have the corner earlier and if they are filling part of it in then they can make it so they don’t have a chicane.

So more like this:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com?r=6011447

Anonymous
    Inactive

An upgrade to Interlagos to give it a face lift would be great and a bit of an extension also good as it is a very short lap time wise.
    The current paddock/team garage facility is apparently a bit old and an upgrade would bring it back to something world class.

The classic Senna S Chicane will remain so thats the main thing :) I think it is very important that some of these “older” circuits get some money spent on them and remain in F1- I have watched F1 since 1986 and Brazil has always been on the schedule.

BE seems to think Asia is the future- a Thailand GP may come at the cost of Brazil being forgoed??

Abu Dhabi is the new version on Monte Carlo- its looks great, it is great………….. but we should race F1 cars elsewhere. If we get one more Abu like circuit (and some others) and I am out for F1!! Is there anything wrong with Spa or Suzuka!!??

I really hope the track owners in Brazil do some work hey!! :)

matt90
    Participant

“An upgrade to Interlagos to give it a face lift would be great and a bit of an extension also good as it is a very short lap time wise.”
    I don’t see that as a bad thing at all.

Kingshark
    Participant

@garns

An upgrade to Interlagos to give it a face lift would be great and a bit of an extension also good as it is a very short lap time wise.

A track extension? How would that be good in any way?

It’s an interesting note that the two circuits with the shortest lap time (Interlagos and Montreal) are the two circuits which generally deliver the best racing. ;-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

@kingshark
    We will have to wait and see if the track extension will rubbish the racing but it is great for the organisers as they have more space to put grandstands.

Also if Interlagos was not the last race of the season then I feel it wouldn’t be held as high as it is.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@kingshark Also, Monaco.

the_sigman
    Participant

And Hungary. These two circuits @kingshark mentioned, have good overtaking opportunities which are being passed through most times (~70 laps instead of ~55)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d never thought of that, but four of my favourite tracks (Monaco, Hungary, Interlagos, and Montreal) have the shortest lap times in F1. :P

Kingshark
    Participant

Actually, Hungary is much longer than Montreal and Interlagos lap-time wise, despite being shorter, and even Monaco is longer than Montreal/Interlagos in lap time, even though it is much shorter. That’s because Interlagos and Montreal are much faster circuits by nature than the other two.

You know, for the same reason that despite Spa being by far the longest circuit, a lap around Singapore takes just as long because of its slow nature.

Justin
    Participant

I don’t care if they move the pit lane, but the track is classic and dare I say “perfect” (at least nearly so) the way it is, don’t change the configuration. Pit lane location is inconsequential to the flow and such, though I suppose going way on the inside of Arquibancadas wouldn’t be quite as dangerous if the pit lane were in the proposed location.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

There was some talk of lengthening Reta Oposta, moving Subdia do Lago to the far side of the lake. It would essentially be the same corner, just with a longer straight leading into and out of it. This would add a few hundred extra metres to the circuit and give the field a chance to thin itself out a bit (traffic can be a real problem in the middle sector), but the space available for run-off would make things difficult.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.