The Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile is the governing body for world motor sport and the federation of the world’s leading motoring organisations. It is a non?profit making association and brings together 228 national motoring and sporting organisations from 132 countries on five continents. Its member clubs represent millions of motorists and their families. In the context of an increasing environmental pressure on human activities, motorsport occupies a particular position of responsibility and has a long tradition of pioneering technological progress. The FIA holds a unique position to offer a perfect showcase for the development and the promotion of innovative solutions to ensure that mobility remains environmentally friendly.
One of the federation’s main objectives is to work on the creation of a new high profile championship, designed to be the flagship of the FIA’s sustainable strategy: the FIA Formula E Championship (“Championship”).
The FIA has set itself the target to launch this Championship in 2013. As such the federation calls for expressions of interest to identify a candidate interested in acting as the official and exclusive agent of the FIA for the organisation and promotion of the Championship under the Key Parameters defined in Appendix A, with a view to concluding a three year contract (2013, 2014 and 2015).
The selection process is open to all candidates capable of conducting such a role for the organisation and the promotion of this Championship.
“- The FIA is currently calling for expression of interest from automakers and racing organizations.
- Teams have until October 14th to respond and will be required to sign a three-year contract.
- The racing series, if launched, will be called Formula E.
- Formula E’s inaugural race is tentatively scheduled for sometime in 2013.
- Formula E racers will likely battle for electric supremacy in major cities around the world.
- Vehicles are to be of the open-wheel design and must be 100-percent electric.
- Minimum vehicle weight will be 780 kilograms (1,720 pounds), driver included.”
Anyone else find this pretty exciting? I’m fascinated by electric motoring and technology. I’m very interested to see how this series impacts on the rest of the motorsport world.