F1

Is 60 years of proud F1 tradition about to end?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Chippie
    Participant

I always have had a grand image of the moment F1 was born; I imagine there was a smoke filled room of aristocracy and playboys who probably met and set down some basic guidelines and then pilled their cash on a table. They were confident they were going to have a thumping good time. Then, while having some brandy in the drawing room afterwards, someone said: “I wonder whether any team that’s not British, Italian, French or German will ever win?”. Then the Brits, the Germans, the Italians and the French all exchanged looks – and laughed their heads off. Impossible, after all, the ‘Grand-Quartet’ were the only countries that even had racetracks!!! The thought that a Spanish team, an Irish team, and Austrian team would ever win the World Drivers championship or the World Constructors championship was sensationalist, ridiculous.

It was in this moment that the precedent for F1 was set: Only the British and Italian teams would be allowed to win either championship, and occasionally the French and the Germans would be allowed to join in. A ‘Grand-Quartet’ was set up, dominating the sport and keeping the racing pedigree true and pure. This is in my opinion the greatest of F1 traditions, and last year when all of my mates were confidently predicting Red Bull (an Austrian team) to take both championships I rolled on the floor, cracking up, explaining that the Red Bull’s were doomed to failure because this was THE rule of F1, a rule that will never, ever be broken as long as F1 continues. The rule saw of the Honda’s in the 60’s, the Wolf’s in the 70’s, the Jordan’s in the 90’s the Toyota’s in the 00’s.

However, ladies and gentlemen, we are now facing a dire situation. Never before in the history of F1 has the ‘Grand-Quartet’ been under such pressure, Red Bull are now storming to victory in both championships, we have just three races left, and I am no longer laughing.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the time has come to take action. Join me in officially condemning Red Bull and supporting their rivals in the championships. We hope that Alonso takes the drivers championship, but we really have to throw our support behind McLaren, for only they have the power to take the constructors championship from under the noses of these Austrians.

Do not let 60 proud years of F1 tradition end, fight them in Korea, fight them in Brazil, fight them in Abu Dhabi, and fight them tooth and nail for every last point!

The purity and honour of Formula 1 hangs in the balance, we pray to God it can be saved.

:)

Hare
    Participant

Red Bull… based in Milton Keynes of course, which is just near Austria, hang a right off the A8 Autobahnen.

Fer no.65
    Participant

Red Bull isn’t Austrian. And that’s very much the end of it.

It’s like asking Colin Chapman in the 60’s: “Hey… what about Team Lotus racing with Malaysian flag?”

he’d shoot you in the head instantly…

MrTJ
    Participant

Red Bull is an Austrian beverage company. Red Bull Racing F1 team is owned by Red Bull and is based in Milton Keynes, UK. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull_Racing#cite_ref-lic_0-0

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

However, ladies and gentlemen, we are now facing a dire situation. Never before in the history of F1 has the ‘Grand-Quartet’ been under such pressure, Red Bull are now storming to victory in both championships, we have just three races left, and I am no longer laughing.

Get off the internet. Red Bull have worked hard, and deserve their success. Certainly moreso than Ferrari, who have shown a willingness to cheat to win championships and abuse other teams for simply existing. You can’t kick Red Bull out of the championship simply because they are beating other teams. If you did, what point is there to racing at all?

You’re a disgrace.

Macca
    Participant

Why isn’t Sir Jack Brabham’s 1966 championship classed as an Australian title. After all, he won in a car designed partly by him with an engine built by the Australian manufacturer Repco. It doesn’t get much more Australian than that and yet the championship is credited to the British. I don’t understand.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Also, Chippie, I noticed you weren’t complaining when Brawn won last year despite the fact that they’re not one of the “Big Four”.

Julian
    Participant

Red Bull races under an Austrian license thingamajig and is based in Milton Keynes. Austrian license means Austrian team, unless im mistaken. At least it would explain why Mateschitz allegedly went apeshit at Eccelstone when the English anthem was played instead of the Austrian anthem when RedBull won back in China 09 or whenever it was.

Hairs
    Participant

Errrrr…. PM? I think the OP was a tongue in cheek moment.

Red Andy
    Participant

I call Poe!

Chippie
    Participant

Intelligent point there Andy, I had hoped that the smiley face after the post would show that I’m not actually serious, but perhaps I was a bit naive to assume people would take the hint, and not tell me to “get off the internet”, calling me a “disgrace” in the process.

Prisoner Monkeys… Wow, you deserve a trophy for that post, I’m thinking: ‘Drama queen of the year’

rampante
    Participant

When I lived in the UK many years ago their was a woman called Mary Whitehouse who spent her time watching TV and reading newspapers looking to be offended. Sadly too many F1 fans are doing the same thing. Has tounge in cheek become against the law now?

Prisoner, medication exists for anger management.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Stay cool guys :P

Given how close knit this community feels it’s still easy to forget it is the internet and how easy it is for readers to interpret comments and their tone differently. Plenty of times I’ve made jokes (usually terrible in my case as Mag will agree) and people have taken me seriously or vice versa. It is difficult over the internet.

It’s a good laugh on here and I’ve enjoyed this thread but if PM did think you were serious then I can’t say I’m surprised at his reaction as he’s very passionate that if people work hard they deserve their success and very against arrogance of the old order (esp Ferrari) at least that’s how I interpret his comments but again it’s easy to be wrong when it’s over the ‘net.

Anyway, for the sake of the sport RBR should just hand Ferrari the trophy ;P

Hare
    Participant

Poes law indeed! Bragging rights to you Red Andy!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I had hoped that the smiley face after the post would show that I’m not actually serious, but perhaps I was a bit naive to assume people would take the hint

Your entire post hinges on the tone of your language. And since the discussion forum is a text-based medium, there is no way to work tone into it. If you had said this in a normal conversation, it would have become immediately apparent. But you aren’t in a conversation, so you just come off as being a jerk.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.