F1

Is it good for F1? lets all have some silverware!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    George
    Participant

just throwing it out there!
    Does anyone see it as a bit of a lottery? Does it not make a mockery of the brilliance of some of the top teams and engineers who probably do have the best cars, but cannot make them work on certain tracks with certain tyres at certain temperatures?
    Sorry, I don’t see it as necessarily good for the sport to have as some keep banging on about (6 winners in 6 races)
    Don’t get me wrong, was an entertaining race, all the more so with a 12-1 bet on Pasta.
    But lets throw it out there, someone mentioned earlier 12 winners in 12 races, how would this be a good thing?
    I hope we do start to see representative races where the strongest car/team/driver do start to emerge as this is what F1 is about. not every driver getting some silverware to take home.
    As I said just throwing it out there for you sharks to rip me apart over! :-P
    Begin!

magon4
    Participant

In F1, the attempt to make it more about the driver and less about the car is, in general, a good one. And the tyres have been an equalizer, no doubt about it. The second questions is, how can you achieve that without having drivers not max out their cars?
    Fact is, they never have. You always had to look out for the tyres, fuel and lots of other stuff. Drivers and teams can and will adapt, and the best will win.
    I like it the way it is. It presents drivers with a challenge. What I would do is increase the number of tyres per race, and/or have qualifying tyres not used for races as we’ve had already, so that each gets to use as many tyres as wanted and build their own strategy around that.

No, I’d prefer it if the team with the best car was virtually guaranteed to win every race. It’s only fair that way…

Having six winners with six different cars would be great, because it’s organic. Some cars naturally do better at some tracks, some teams just really get their car hooked up setup wise at other circuits. Sometimes you get crazy events that give you topsy-turvey races (Sepang) and you can’t forget that we’ve just had a big break and a test session – so of course some teams have genuinely improved performance wise from Bahrain to Barca (Williams). All of these factors add to the unpredictabilty of F1, not just the tyres. It is great to see everything so close.

George
    Participant

I agree with more tyres, would encourage all top 10 to actually leave the pits in Q3

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t see it as a lottery at all.

Look at Hamilton. He’s in what could be argued to be the fastest car at the moment. He worked at dialling it in, got it right and blitzed the field by half a second in qualifying. His team messes up and come race day he shows just how good a job he’s done getting the car set up correctly by still ending up 8th as the only driver able to make his tyres last for a two-stopper. On both compounds, both in the hot qualifying conditions and the colder race day. Button on the other hand in the same car..

Then consider Maldonado. His car has shown more than decent race pace in all the races so far, just having had to start from too far back. Same as Hamilton, he just got the tyres sussed out and his car worked as expected, on both compounds in both hot and not-so-hot conditions. Senna, in the same car on the other hand…

Then look at Alonso. Etc.

It’s not a bloody lottery. The engineers will figure it out, both Sam Michaels and Adrian Newey have been quoted as saying exactly that. It’s just taking them a bit longer than it did last year and some drivers will find it easier to do what’s necessary than others either because of innate ability (or lack thereof) and convergence with natural driving style, or a stubborn refusal to.

moshbeard

It’s definitely good for F1 to have some variety in the results. Not only does it keep it interesting but it shows to potential teams and investors that there’s a chance of success even if you’re not in the current big four.

Potential manufacturers will see that maybe they can have success unlike Toyota and Honda as it’s become more difficult for the established top teams to hold on to their superiority. I for one would certainly like to see someone like Audi take the place of a team like HRT.

The tyres don’t seem anywhere near as random as last year, there are no drivers suddenly sliding around like they’re on ice like in the first half of last season.

Kingshark
    Participant

Speaking from a political point of view – The racing certainly allows F1 to attract more fans; which is always good news. Higher ratings, more people buying their games and merchandise, higher television ratings. More F1 fans wordwide, equals to more money for Bernie, which would make him very happy.

George
    Participant
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, see, this word “lottery”. I think a couple of people should look up the definition of that word.

If Mateschitz seriously thinks it’s a lottery, he should fire his staff and get some engineers in that he does trust. Perhaps Pirelli would be a good place to start looking.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, if it was ‘random… if it was a ‘lottery’, then one of HRT, Caterham or Marussia would have had at least a podium by now, if not more.

After years of stale rules, F1 now seems incredibly quick to point fingers and blame at things that they consider wrong. There’s nothing wrong with this season so far, it’s been thoroughly brilliant. It just so happens that 5 different drivers from 5 different teams have each been the best on the first 5 different tracks. And well done to them all. I hope we see Team Enstone and Sauber win one each before they start repeating themselves.

I bet if one driver wins the remaining 15-or-however-many races are left, they won’t be saying the same thing.

katederby
    Participant

Maybe random is a better word than lottery but tyres are now, so it seems, the most important factor. For example not one of the 47 overtakes in the Spanish GP were made by a car with older tyres, so pit strategy becomes king, for me that’s not really racing.
    I’m not saying this year isn’t exciting but so far the car out in front has been unstoppable, as it’s the only one were tyres can be protected and still let the driver push on. Is that good for racing?
    I’d be happy to see less unpredictable results if it meant cars were running at 100% and challenging the drivers to the limit.
    It’ll be interesting to see which team, if any can make a breakthrough and string together a few good results.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.