F1

Is Kvyat holding back RB11 development?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Patrick
    Participant

“I would like to think it is not holding us back but it is hard to answer that.” – Ricciardo

http://en.f1i.com/news/11043-kvyat-feedback-may-hold-red-bull-back.html

What is your opinion on this? Is a driver who was in FR 2.0 3 years ago too younf for a top team? Do you think RB made an error by signing him over Vergne?

Sean
    Participant

I would say compared to seb yep big time he would be less effective.

But having said that seb left and they didnt give him the boot.

But they would have had the same problem with any driver coming into a new team. To differing levels, that is to say someone who has more experience or has better ability to communicate with their engineers and form working relationships faster would be better.

Is he to young?
    Nope

Is he better then Vergne?
    Nope

Was it an error to sign him?
    To soon to tell

What should they have done?
    In the following order :P
    Snagged alonso / button / hulk / Vergne / perez / kobayashi / Shane van Gisbergen / Casey Stoner / Me / My dog

Anonymous
    Inactive

I seriously doubt they can claim Kyvat is responsible for the car’s massive shortcomings … but I’m sure they’ll find a way to blame him anyway!

Nick
    Participant

I think Ricciardo is leaving himself out of the equation, which is fair, but he himself might have been in F1 for a longer time, he himself only has one year of experience as a top team driver as well. I can’t imagine the rate of development at Toro Rosso being anywhere near as fast as at Red Bull and they probably utilize different methods, tools and strategies.

I’d say the RB11’s development is not going as fast as it could because of the relative inexperience of the drivers, rather than ‘being held back’. In modern F1, the race drivers seem to have less influence on the development on the car too (as compared to cars being designed for drivers like Schumacher-Ferrari and others in the past), which I find some evidence in at McLaren this season.

MazdaChris
    Participant

I’d question how much influence the drivers really have these days anyway. Just about every facet of how a car performs is meticulously captured via data logging, and then fed back to engineers who know far more about the car than any driver could hope to be. I’m not sure how useful the driver feedback is other than as a means of corellating the data that they’re seeing on screen. if you think about how fuzzy the feedback is when we hear it – initial understeer on turn-in, rear end feels loose on the faster corners, etc etc. The drivers themselves are surely not being relied upon for choosing the development path. Perhaps tweaks to suit their own personal style, but generally speaking the car will be designed by the engineers and the drivers just need to get on with it.

PorscheF1
    Participant

It is fact they went from a team with over 300 GP under their belt to a team of two very young inexperienced drivers in only two years. Must have hurt them somewhere.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Well, it’s been said that Kvyat is developing into a bit of a ‘Kimi’, so take from that what you will. But I get the impression that they both give it everything, it’s more time/discipline.

It’s also been said that Verstappen and now Sainz are besting him in the simulator, so perhaps all of that added up is why Marko is giving him a prod, which he is returning about the car.

The rumour is that he could be replaced after Hungary, i.e. in the summer break, maybe swapping with a Toro Rosso driver? Putting Max in the big boy car.. talk about giving the finger to the FIA!

Craig Woollard
    Participant

I think that it’s being way too harsh on Kvyat. By no means is he the finished product yet, but we must remember that he is just 21. We must give him time and not write him off, especially as this is just his second season in Formula One, and his first in a top car. Whilst filling Sebastian Vettel’s shoes is somewhat impossible for a driver so young and inexperienced, I think that Kvyat isn’t doing too bad a job at the moment. We must also remember that both the engine and chassis are sub-par by Red Bull’s standards too this season.

PorscheF1
    Participant

I think both rather stay in the STR though. Low expectations they can more easily meet.

That being said it’s always hard to determine a drivers abilities in a mid-field car, especially if you’re used to seeing it at the front.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.