I don’t see anyone buying the team
It’s pros and cons here. @prisoner-monkeys is right. If someone wants a buy into Formula 1 and has about 100 mil. to spend, HRT is a great option. Buy the team, get the spot on the grid, get the cars, trucks and whatever logistic and technical equipment they have left, move it all somewhere in the UK, Germany or Italy, keep whoever’s worthy to keep of its personnel, scrap all the rest, bring new heads in, bring new drivers, bring new sponsors and start rebuilding with a purpose, while constantly investing more and more money into it in order to allow the team to progress.
But yeah, I don’t think we should ask ourselves WHY should someone buy HRT, it’s clearly a bargain! We should ask ourselves WHO will / WILL someone buy it? The state in which HRT’s been left by Thesan is apparently much worse than they fooled us to think. And if someone buys it and wants to actually take it somewhere in a couple of years time has to have nerves of steel, a great deal of know-how about motor racing, some passion and a couple hundred mil. to spend on the relocation, renovation, reorganization and participation (within 107% limits) in a full 2013 season. Who on earth is willing to do that in the current financial climate?
I say it’s a 0.1% chance it will end up in someone like Carlos Slim’s hands and a 99.9% chance it will end up with another investment firm like Thesan Capital (be it qatari or chinese or kazakhstani or whatever) or never get sold at all.
I’d love to read this headline though, unrealistic as it may seem: “Honda buys HRT, keeps it off the grid in 2013 in order to rebuild it properly, enters a works team starting 2014″. This would be a compromise I’d be happy with…