F1

Was Hamilton's move on Rosberg at the start fair?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Caroline Geddes
    Participant

What do people think about Hamilton’s pass in turn 2? Should he have left more room, or was he just being ‘firm but fair?’

Strontium
    Participant

He should’ve left more space. Hamilton often does this sort of thing, and is allowed to get away with it every time.

If I were Rosberg I wouldn’t have given him the space to drift out in such a rude manner, and basically any collision would have been completely Hamilton’s fault.

There was nothing fair about it, forcing a competitor off the track.

glynh
    Participant

I thought it was on the limit as there was no need to push him out but Hamilton should just have a warning and no further action as they were racing for the whole corner.

I was surprised that there wasn’t more said during the race but I suppose as rosberg got back on and they were teammates it wasn’t an issue.

Nice to see neither of them complaining after the race to.

PorscheF1
    Participant

Here we go with the Senna comparisons. This pass, and Spa, and Bahrein last year remind me of what Brundle said about Senna. He would put you in a position that it is up to the other driver whether they crash or Senna goes through. Seems Hamilton on occasion tries this too. With the entire debacle around Spa last year I think Lewis very much understood with what he can get away and will do so as long as Rosberg stays the soft racer he is. He should have stayed on track and let the wheel again veer into his front wing. Afterwards instead of all this nonsense we had at Spa he could then say ‘You always gotta leave da space’, Lauda and whoever could think what they want but Rosberg would be right.

…So VET got the complaints for Curva Grande…yet HAM gets the complaint for this? Errr….. (That said HAM’s move here wasn’t my favourite, but I don’t mind the lack of reprimand/penalties at all)

@lass321 Nothing wrong with it at all.

@strontium

Hamilton often does this sort of thing, and is allowed to get away with it every time.

So does anyone else who does the same thing. If someone’s alongside you on the outside but isn’t ahead, you’re allowed to run them off the road. It’s been like that for years. There’s no way you can claim Hamilton gets special treatment on this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Of course it was fair, even Rosberg said so. If you’re outside and level you go off, as everyone knows.

Sven
    Participant

Let´s say “firm but legal”, or maybe “firm but usual”. Fair is such a vague term. I do believe Rosberg would/should have done the same if he was on the inside. However, if it wasn´t about the driver´s title between these two while feeling quite secure about the constructor´s, but a pair of teammates without a shot at WDC while the team still fights for positions (and thus, money) in the constructors table, the same move would/should not have been done.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The thing is, regardless of the sportive morality, by letting Hamilton go, Rosberg legitimised the move. If someone plays the “let me past or we crash” game, you have almost a moral “duty” to run into them.

Nico is now completely in the number two mindset – even worse than that, because we have examples of other designated number two drivers not letting their team leaders do that – and so anything Hamilton does to him is legitimised by Nico’s inaction. Sports require ruthlessness, so unless you want to become an official doormat, you better show everyone to not mess with you like that.

Neil
    Participant

Didn’t look too different to Rosberg pushing Hamilton off the road at the start in Montreal last season…

That move was fine, as was what Hamilton did at Suzuka. These sort of moves happen all the time, but the guy on the outside usually backs out.

@klon I don’t think playing armchair psychologist is a good idea.

Though I rather agree with

If someone plays the “let me past or we crash” game, you have almost a moral “duty” to run into them.

Robbie
    Participant

Well…there was that rule instigated a few years ago and debated about here on this site et al, that a car width must be left. That said I think every incident continues to be looked at individually. I think what lessened this incident was that NR faltered a bit at the start and therefore admittedly owned a bit of the turn 2 ‘clash’. LH is also the sentimental favourite with having truly earned his way to where he is. Taking a cue from Wolff though who called it Nico being ‘forced off’ while Lewis was ‘understeery’, I do think the team should thank Nico, and probably have, for avoiding a collision, still coming in second for the team, and for being diplomatic about it in the end. Some say he should have held his ground, like a true champion, but a champion does not become thus by being hit off the track and his race and his teammate’s done. We all know what happened the last time Nico was stubborn that way. The team owes him for seeing through to them achieving a 1-2 after a terrible previous weekend. Standing his ground sounds good and Championy on paper, but how would everyone have truly reacted if both cars dnf’d? Not in NR’s favour I’m pretty sure.

Atticus
    Participant

Well, the onboard video of Hamilton we’ve all been anxiously waiting for is out on Formula1.com and it shows that while Hamilton may have understeered from about T2 apex on, he did not bother putting more steering lock on than on occasions when he tackled the corner by himself.

So basically he did run Rosberg off the road. If Rosberg have had the courage to stand his ground, any responsibility for a crash would have rested on Hamilton’s shoulders this time. (Rosberg was pretty far up alongside Hamilton until quite late in the corner, surprisingly.) Alas, he did not have the courage which, as @klon pointed out, pretty much ‘legitimise’ Hamilton’s move – no penalties are issued for such scenarios, they’re pretty commonplace.

Rosberg is going down, I would say, psychologically, again – not that I expected different in the light of last season. Even Webber, pounded thoroughly by Vettel, had the guts to speak up for himself in such situations. Miserable.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.