F1

Java and F1 live timing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    budchekov
    Participant

OK, admittedly I’m a bit of a web security Fanatic but this Java 11 vulnerability situation has come to a head with the recent Homeland Security warning. http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/homeland-security-still-says-no-java-1B8000547
    It’s still not secure and they have yet to fix another ‘hole’ which dates back to 7 Update 7 last August.
    Since then I’ve emailed f1.com’s site/contact several times asking them why they continue to use software that can host Malware infections on users computers, haven’t ever received a reply.
    History has shown Oracle don’t seem to have a clue how to fix Java so what if any steps have F1 taken to find an alternate before the new season starts.
    Perhaps they need a little ‘encouragement’, any ideas?

Journeyer
    Participant

Well, you can always use the Live Timing app by SoftPauer. But it ain’t cheap.

Otherwise, I don’t see F1 moving out of Java anytime soon. They already had a free iOS app, but took it off the App Store/Market in favor of the (not free) SoftPauer app.

I wouldn’t be surprised if their solution to this turns out to be getting rid of the live timing page on F1.com and forcing everyone to use a paid timing service. The death of FanVision F1 was probably a step in that direction.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I wouldn’t be surprised if their solution to this turns out to be getting rid of the live timing page on F1.com and forcing everyone to use a paid timing service.

Well, if we have to pay for it, maybe we’ll get something that actually works for once. I can’t get Live Timing to work in real time without switching off my firewall first, which I’m not going to do.

Journeyer
    Participant

@keithcollantine But Fanvision WAS a paid service, wasn’t it?

bag0
    Participant

Well, I dont know what kind of server sends the feed, but you get it with the online java app for free, it would not be hard to change it between seasons to anything else. But in my opinion java is the right choice now, we get it for free, and we can see the livetiming in the browser window, on any operating system without having to install a live timing client. Changing the software to another, written in a different language, we would either lose the platform independency, or we would have to download and install a client to get the feed. In both cases it is highly likely that you’ll have to pay, and none of them would be more secure.

The only way that now your computer could be affected in any way, if the attacker does something to the java applet on formula1.com. As long as the site is secure, there wont be any problem, but if the site is not secure, would it make a difference, if the attacker modified another program, not the java applet? Nope.

specialk69
    Participant

I personally use F1LT: http://code.google.com/p/f1lt/

(First post here, hope it’s a good one!)

Asanator
    Participant

Agreed Bag0

bag0
    Participant

@specialk69

Great app, thanks for sharing. I really wanted to write one like this for myself, but never had the time, now i wont have to do it :D

Russell Gould
    Participant

On the U.S. side, the Soft Pauer app works okay, but has some interesting characteristics. Since Speed channel was so dreadful, I used the app to watch most events live.

Looking forward to NBC coverage, which is supposed to provide some long-overdue online options. There’s nothing like the iPlayer here.

@Journeyer I meant FOM’s paid timing service.

sozavele
    Participant

I had an email from Norton this morning, so if you have Norton software you will be fine with the new java software!

budchekov
    Participant

Here’s to the the day that Flash and Java are no longer needed for anything.
    Until then use with caution, thanks for the input all..@ @specialk69 Cool, I’ll give it a whirl :)

budchekov
    Participant

Just to follow up, F1LT http://code.google.com/p/f1lt/ Live Timing works great, way more features than the F1 ‘official’ one, the weather tabs a little CPU intensive, other than that, excellent…….and NO Java; Thanks again @specialk69 :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Instead of stopping it they might as well tell users to use something other than Windows. The short-term solution might give them some time to take off the Java dependency. They’re probably not too keen on that, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.