F1

Jean-Éric Vergne

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Felipe Bomeny
    Participant

I think this guy is terribly underrated in comparison to Red Bull Junior teammate Ricciardo. But I honestly think he’s a genius; look at his racing record. He destroyed the competition in British F3 in his rookie year and took the title. Helmut Marko said that if he wins the 2011 Formula Renault 3.5 Series, he’ll land a drive for Toro Rosso in Formula 1 next year. With STR looking set to give him Friday practice sessions, if he wins the championship it would be tremendous for me to see him replace the mediocre duo at Toro Rosso. He’s only two points behind championship leader Wickens so we could all very well see the impressive Frenchman in F1 next year. Thoughts?

katederby
    Participant

Been following him for a couple of seasons and he’s a huge talent and I’m sure destined for F1 soon. Will he be at STR in 2012, not sure but for me he’s the biggest threat to their current line up. It’ll certainly be great to see a Frenchman back in F1 and with Grosjean, Pic and Bianchi maybe more than one.

Enigma
    Participant

I haven’t heard much of him before this year, but I’ve been watching WSR for a while now and he is indeed very talented. Red Bull now have a problem of having 6 drivers and 4 seats (plus HRT), so I guess Buemi will have to go. He’s had enough time and he hasn’t shown enough to convince me he’s championship material. Alguersuari’s improved recently and he needs to keep it up now or he’s gone as well.

I think the ideal solution for Red Bull, with Vettel and Webber already signed, would be to ditch Buemi, put Ricciardo in Toro Rosso and Vergne in Hispania.

I really hope Vergne gets some practice sessions this year, there’s only one race left in the Formula Renault 3.5 series on the Japanese GP weekend.

Zadak

I watched Jean Eric Vergne for a few races in British F3. He was in a different league to the rest of them.

Ricciardo + Vergne would be a killer pair at any team, and no doubt they are both better than the current Torro Rosso drivers.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

There’s just one big problem with Vergne – he’s in FR3.5, not GP2. This is why it’s a problem:

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2011/09/16/why-gp2-is-still-the-only-choice-for-f1-hopefuls/

Felipe Bomeny
    Participant

Good article PM; I’m surprised he didn’t mention Kubica. While I do agree GP2 is slightly above FR3.5, I do think that the latter has a better, more competitive grid this year. And I think every driver should get a year or two of GP2, but Dr. Marko thinks otherwise…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.