• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 16 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Kobayashi out of Sauber?

This topic contains 33 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Prisoner Monkeys Prisoner Monkeys 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

A Swiss publication reporting anonymous British sources on what’s going on within a Swiss team? Highly dubious, I’d say.

Kobayashi’s contract was only renewed four months ago. He bounced back – from what was admittedly a lacklustre second half the season – to score the points that kept Sauber ahead of Toro Rosso in the constructors’ championship.

Renault dropping Petrov with a year left on his contract is one thing, but it would be an astonishing volte-face if Sauber let Kobayashi go.

wasiF1
    Participant

Kobayasi had a good last half of the season,he scored more points then his team-mate Perez,yeah he couldn’t live up with the expectation we had from him but I don’t think the team have any GOOD reason to drop him for 2012.

Fixy
    Participant

On a side note, I knew @Magnificent-Geoffrey was going to be the first replier!
    Getting back to the thread, I doubt Kamui will not drive for Sauber next year. Their test driver Gutierrez has been confirmed at ART for GP2, so they would have probably to get Jules Bianchi (Ferrari-backed; Sauber use Ferrari engines) and have an all-young Ferrari development driver layout. Kamui has done enough to keep his seat IMO.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@keithcollantine

A Swiss publication reporting anonymous British sources on what’s going on within a Swiss team? Highly dubious, I’d say.

Blick is a tabloid, just as The Sun or The Daily Mail or News of the Screws are. “Dubious” is perhaps the politest term for them.

@fixy

Gutierrez has been confirmed at ART for GP2, so they would have probably to get Jules Bianchi (Ferrari-backed; Sauber use Ferrari engines) and have an all-young Ferrari development driver layout.

It has been confirmed that GP3 Series runner-up James Calado will race alongside Gutierrez in GP2 next year. If Bianchi is going to race in GP2, it won’t be with ART. I’d say he’ll angle for an Addax or DAMS drive.

Fixy
    Participant

@Prisoner-Monkeys yeah, I think ART thought Bianchi would have been in F1 in 2012, because they have had a long-term partnership with him and I doubt they’d want to let him go in his third season in the series, when he’d have more chances of winning the title. Also, his manager is Nicolas Todt, team principal of ART. I was just saying that their first choice to replace one of their drivers, Gutierrez, already has a contract for GP2, so unless they sign someone else Kamui will remain.

BasCB
    Participant

I think the only thing making this worth reacting on is the fact that it seems Peter Sauber actually writes a regular collumn for Blick. Might have started as an anecdote Sauber told them about reporters asking him, and ended up an article!

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Always keep in mind the performance of the car plays into results as well. Renault in 2011 is a perfect example of this. The fact that Perez also struggled tells me they hadn’t developed the car at the same pace as other teams, hence both he and Kobayashi slipping down the field later in the season.

I know I’m a bit biased being a Koby fan myself, but I’m with most others on this: they’d be stupid to drop him.

sbl on tour
    Participant

the best bit has to be “according to rumours on the island”, a classic or what

not really a koby fan, really just a journeyman if you please

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I think the only thing making this worth reacting on is the fact that it seems Peter Sauber actually writes a regular collumn for Blick.

Well, the Dutch guy who apparently published details of Grosjean and Lotus first seems to think that this rumour is potentially true (and by that I mean he thinks negotiations are happening, not that Kobayashi has already been replaced).

Lin1876
    Participant

I think Kobayashi is a driver who rises and falls based on how good the car is. He started the season brilliantly, when Sauber had a good car, and fell off when they fell behind. Remeber when the car ran well in the wet, he was 2nd in Canada, and fell back massively as it dried and the car stopped working properly.

I think he’s a bit like Jean Alesi. Generally popular, a great racer, very quick but not quite the complete package you need to win consistently. I can well see him wining if he gets a winning car, which is more than you can say about any other Japanese driver!

As such, Sauber, with few options anyway, would be mad to replace him. I don’t see any better drivers on the market, and even fewer who would take a Sauber drive. If they produce a brilliant car (and stranger things have happened), we’ll probably see a new, improved, Kobayashi.

Colossal Squid
    Participant

I don’t see it happening myself. Koba didn’t set the world on fire this year, true, but he’s a good driver who’s only really after his second season. Next season should be make or break up against Perez. I think Sauber would be making a mistake if they let him go.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@colossal-squid – A driver’s second season is widely considered to be the most important of his career. Any mistakes he makes his in first year of competition can generally be attributed to inexperience. But once he gets that first season out of the way, then there can be no more excuses: he has to perform.

Felipe Bomeny
    Participant

Let’s not forget about Santander’s interests in Mexico; installing Bianchi in Kobayashi’s place would assist Banco Santander expand its interests in the Latin American market. Having Bianchi next to Perez would create a chance for Ferrari to examine and directly compare their young drivers in the wake of Felipe Massa’s inevitable departure from Scuderia Ferrari.

Furthermore, Kobayashi brings little sponsorship. I myself am a Kobayashi fan, but I see the reasoning behind this rumour; Ferrari were first trying to install Bianchi as a Force India third driver and they also pushed for him to land a Williams seat. They want Bianchi in F1 as soon as possible, and the fact that James Calado took his GP2 seat is indicative of this.

Also, Kobayashi has recently been criticizing the FIA for their mid-season rule change; perhaps this is an effort by him to prove that he could have done better (and therefore deserves to be retained) in the rule-affected Sauber.

In the unfortunate event that Kobayashi is dropped by Sauber, I hope Tony Fernandes recognizes Kobayashi as “Asian talent” and snatches him up. This would force STR to drop the mediocre Buemi in favour of Ricciardo (Alguersuari will not dropped because of the Cepsa sponsorship).

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

If there is talk that Kobayashi’s contract can be bought out, there is evidently a provision for it somewhere in the contract. Given that Kobayashi’s contract is new, there may well be a provision that says he cannot leave the team until such time as another seat is found. If Santander is bankrolling Bianchi’s move into Formula 1 by buying out Kobayashi’s contract, they would potentially also be able to buy out Jarno Trulli’s. After all, a driver cannot be bought out of his contract without him agreeing to it first.

But if Bianchi does replace Kobayashi, then he’s likely to become the most unpopular person in Formula 1.

sbl on tour
    Participant

prisoner monkeys, no one will replace marko as the most unpopular person on f1

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.