We had a thread a while ago about the unluckiest and least remembered Ferrari drivers, which I was reminded of because I saw a picture of Stefan Johansson in a Ferrari and had forgotten again he drove for the Scuderia. Or for McLaren.
So, I was wondering if there are more cases of drivers not being remembered for driving for a certain team, despite a long career. Of course, this can be personal, due to the time you’ve been watching F1 or if you hadn’t been following a certain driver. Of course, you can also note cases where other people seemingly forget a driver drove for a team. Often this is also caused due to drivers only doing a single or a couple of races for a team.
Some other examples:
- I often forget Andrea de Cesaris drove for McLaren in 1981, although neither party would dare call it a successful year either!
- Thierry Boutsen for Jordan in 1993.
- Mika Salo doing a couple of races for BAR, before replacing Schumacher in 1999.
- Keke Rosberg for McLaren, partially because I only started watching in the late 90s, I think.
- Jacques Laffite for Williams in 1982 and 1983 – I always connect him to Ligier.
- Jacques Villeneuve for Renault in 2004 replacing Jarno Trulli for the final 3 races of the season.
- Antontio Pizzonia for Williams in 2004 filling in for the injured Ralf Schumacher for 4 races.
Interesting! Some recent ones, from the top of my head:
- Fisichella for Ferrari (2009)
- Bruno Senna for Renault (2011)
- Ricciardo for HRT (2011) still seems strange
- Heidfeld for Sauber (not BMW; 2010), not very memorable!
- Winkelhock for Spyker (2007)
- Klien for HRT (2010)
There were quite a few in 1994, including;
Larini for Ferrari (a very sad story, getting his one and only podium at Imola…)
Alliot for McLaren and Larrousse (one race each)
Suzuki and de Cesaris for Jordan (replacing Irvine for his ban)
Lagorce at Ligier (his only two F1 starts in the last two races of the year)
Sarrazin for Prost in 1999 (his one and only GP)
De La Rosa for Sauber in 2011
Davidson for Minardi in 2002 (and BAR in 2005)
Sospiri and Rosset in 1997 :P
S Modena, Tyrrell 1991
K Wendlinger, Leyton House 1991
G Morbidelli, Ferrari 1991
A Zanardi, Lotus 1993-94
P Alliot, McLaren 1994
J Magnussen, McLaren 1995
N Larini, Sauber 1997
A Davidson, Minardi 2002
A Wurz, McLaren 2005
M Webber, Williams 2005
N Heidfeld, Williams 2005
R Doornbos, Red Bull 2006