• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 1 hour, 29 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Magnussen in McLaren

This topic contains 60 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Bradley Downton Bradley Downton 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

If Perez is actually going, and if it’s true that the Hulk is looking to stay at Sauber or go back to Force India, I’d *love* to have him at Team Enstone. Great little racer. Harsh on him to be let go like that, but Mclaren’s loss could be Team Enstone’s gain.

JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

Why? Button has proven he is capable of winning a Championship, not to mention great performances in 2011.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I suspect this might have been one of the moves teams were waiting for. When someone delays a driver decision, it means that the money is slow to come, or they want to see how other parts of the market shake out. It wouldn’t surprise me if teams have been sitting and waiting to see if Perez becomes available.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

If Perez does get dropped, he’ll surely be picked back up by another team, Sauber return perhaps?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’m sure he will. He’s got speed – his podiums are a testament to that – and plenty of sponsorship. And McLaren generally don’t announce a driver’s departure until they know that driver’s future is secure.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys – Also, McLaren haven’t confirmed it. Autosport say they have ‘sources’ that have confirmed it. I know it’s rare for Autosport to be wrong, but ‘sources’ could be wrong.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

They could always be wrong, but they’re an established publication with a good reputation. If they say it’s true, then I would be more inclined to believe it than if, say, Andrew Benson and the BBC did. Even if they were ultimately proved wrong.

Deej92
    Participant

Sauber would be very suitable for both parties. If Sirotkin is to be ran then he has a team-mate with 3 years’ experience and one at a big team like McLaren. Also he would keep Slim’s sponsors at Sauber, without them having to run the inexperienced Gutierrez, who hasn’t impressed at all (one point-scoring race isn’t good enough to be kept). Sauber should be in good nick financially if they can run both Mexican and Russian sponsors.

Bosley
    Participant

@deej92 Thats if Sirotkin has got his super license yet. We saw how quickly kyvatt got his so I’m wondering why it hasn’t been announced for him too.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Because Kvyat ran at the YDTs. Sirotkin is limited to straight-line testing, and the team’s immediate priority has been fixing the problems with the car and placing as high as they can in the WCC. There is still plenty of time for Sirotkin to get his superlicence, so it hasn’t been an immediate concern – and unlike Kvyat, he’s not taking part in free practice this year.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

It still gives credence to the speculation that Russian money has been slow coming forwards, as the deal was announced before the YDT yet Sirotkin did not feature. There’s still the rumour Petrov has appeared with Gazprom. And now Russia suing Sauber, who maybe abandoned a contract after something was broken (maybe money and time periods). But it’s all speculation from the outside. Same as Sutil being seen visiting the Sauber factory. Sutil-Perez would be a good line up for Sauber in 2014.

McLaren would be wise to take Hulkenberg, if Magnussen was given development time at Force India, or keep Perez. But I think they are being aggressive and taking Kevin. If the data says he is the fastest, why not take him? Same with Kvyat and Felix da Costa at Toro Rosso. 2009 was just a hangover from going gung-ho to win the 2008 WDC. The redesigned B-spec car actually was up there with the RB in the second half of the season, which eventually led to title fights in 2010 and 2012. So Hamilton got his 1/2 a season in a ‘crap car’ to learn from in the end!

@freelittlebirds Of course, all the drivers are in the RB umbrella, and the simulator is probably part of Red Bull Technologies if there is any RRA implications/teams cannot share resources. If they couldn’t compare the drivers with Vettel and Webber, how would they know if they were getting someone genuinely fast or slow? Race results can be lucked into with retirements and many variables.

GeeMac
    Participant

I think it would be great to get all retro and get another Magnussen in a McLaren. Kevin seems to be a bit more likely to live up to his junior formulae hype than his father Jan did, so it would be interesting to see how he does. I can’t help thinking Perez is being hard done by however. He is quick, there is no doubt about that, his 2012 season was remarkable and he was quite rightly linked with Ferrari and then snapped up by McLaren. If he doesn’t end up with a seat next year it would be a grave injustice.

That said however, Perez has underperformed. His form took a dive almost immediately after he was announced as Hamilton’s replacement at McLaren. He is 9-8 down on Button in qualifying, Button is hardly the rapid qualifier he was back in 2004 anymore. By my count he is 12 – 5 down on Button in the races. Sure he has been handed a dog of a car by McLaren, but he has still hardly been stellar.

Here is some food for thought which causes some lingering doubt in my mind when it comes to Perez: Two of the key players in the 2013 silly season are Perez and Maldonado. One is generally seen as a real talent who is underperforming while the other is seen by many as a pay driver with little right to be in F1 (to be clear, I don’t hold that view). These two drivers have realistically only had the car under them to win in one race each, Malaysia 2012 for Perez and Spain 2012 for Maldonado, both incidentally in straight fights with Alonso. Only one of them managed to convert their chance and it wasn’t Perez, he made a crucial mistake under pressure which cost him the race, so what does that say about Perez’s ability to compete for race wins F1?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@fastiesty – The deal with the Russians was concluded too close to the YDT for Sirotkin to run. It seems that you don’t just show up at the YDT; the teams need to inform the FIA in advance of who will be testing and when.

Also, that’s the first I’ve heard if Russia sueing Sauber. I can’t find it in an unreliable source, much less a reliable one.

barkun
    Participant

Ideally (and I am a McLaren fan) they should keep the current lineup for next year and ‘park’ Magnussen in some decent team (like Sauber or Force India) then bring him back home in 2015

Nick
    Participant

Here’s a nice one for those of you feeling old; Kevin Magnussen was already born when father Jan debuted as a 22 year old. Jan became a father at 19 years old, strangely enough. Heck, Kevin probably has a feint memory of Jan driving for Stewart. Kevin would be 21 if he makes his debut next year, Jan 40. There’d be 18 years between their debuts, still.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.