F1

Mark Webber/ Others

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi. Thanks for this forum. Something that has been bugging me for a while. And I had to share it otherwise I was going to explode. I think Mark Webber is great/ amazing. He’s a true sporting gentleman (not many left) and an inspiration – he plays/ drives fair and plays within the rules (gives way where necessary/ not selfish). If you look at his career…he was basically getting older and not getting anywhere, then he decided to change his tactics and is now leading the championship. Truly remarkable. How did he do it…I’m sure there are a few factors…but my thoughts…He believed in himself and decided to stand up for himself (i.e not be bullied/ intimidated by those younger ####’s – some of the top 5 drivers – who I personally think are arrogant, precious, self-righteous punks). And this folks is why these drivers loathe/ hate Mark (they’d written him off)…if you see the post-race interviews its written all over their faces and in their body language. They have NO RESPECT AT ALL for Mark. All i can say to Mark is – F$CK THEM and F*CK them hard!(and to those in your team that want you to act as N0.2 – screw them also, but with a smile). As an Australian, it’s fantastic to see Mark do so well, because there aren’t many Australian champions in this sport. Anyway…I think i’ve made my point. Thanks again for providing the column, keep racing and here’s to Mark.

damonsmedley
    Participant

Hmmm… This is perhaps the finest example of patriotism on the internet.

nik

I actually think that Mark is one of the only drivers who gets along with most of the other drivers. There is a lot of respect there, and he is a great spokesperson for the drivers. This may have shifted a bit with Mark becoming a title contender, but I think a large part of the reason why Lewis’ response after the last race was so muted was because his incident involved Mark – if it had involved Sebastian or somebody else, I don’t doubt that there would have been a lot of criticism from Lewis and Maclaren directed at the other driver.

I have always liked Mark (not just because he is Australian) – and I really hope he takes the WDC this year because he deserves it. He has risen to the challenge this year against a much fancied team mate in Vettel, and has performed extremely well under pressure (a lot of last-lap Q3 qualifying runs) and been very consistant (only one DNF and always in the points this year).

For the first time since following Mark, I have upmost faith in his abilities which is re-assuring. Even when he started 5th in Singapore I knew he would make a race of it.

damonsmedley
    Participant

I thought that too. I get the feeling that Lewis and Mark get along very well. In fact, I think Mark gets along with almost everyone with the exception of Vettel. (Unfortunately)

Macca
    Participant

I don’t think it’s true that the other drivers don’t like Mark but having said that, I think it’s true that some don’t respect him. I know that he and Alonso are very good friends as are he and Barrichello. I guess it just shows that the old boys have to stick together. :)

Dan Thorn
    Participant

I really like Mark. He’s always been a very good driver but it’s only in the last couple of years he’s been able to show it. He is a brilliant asset to the sport and even speaking as an Alonso fan, I think I’d quite like it if Webber won it this year. Top bloke.

Icthyes
    Participant

I think it would be great for F1 if Mark became champion. It’s kind of like the concept of the American Dream, that anyone from anywhere can rise to the top. Mark is a very solid driver and at his best unbeatable in equal machinery, but if you were to name the fastest guy, or the driver with the best racecraft, etc. you probably wouldn’t pick Mark as top in any of those fields. Yet he has an excellent chance of being champion.

Eggry
    Participant

yeah, I agree with you Icthyes. if Webber became champion, it would be the American Dream-like story as you said. Webber is very solid and he suffered from poor car so many years. I think he deserves to be champion, though I wish Alonso would be. Anyway, if just Alonso or Mark, I will be satisfied this year.

I am going against the flow here by saying I feel he is a good driver, not a great. He is in a very good car and can produce performances in the best car out there. He was outperformed by Heidfeld in 05, Coulthard in 07, Vettel in 09, two of these are good, not good. He outperformed Klein (great?, no) in 04, a poor Pizzonia in 03, a running-out-of-steam Coulthard in 08. I’ll admit, his first season was great, and some performances this season have been good, but so has Vettel, unluckier with reliabilty. If he won this year, my congratulations would go to Newey, not Webber. Alonso has been great, as has Hamilton and Button to a lesser extent.

If Webber were to win this season, I wouldn’t record him as a true great.

nik

> “He was outperformed by Heidfeld in 05, Coulthard in 07, Vettel in 09, two of these are good, not good.”

I think he is a very different driver this year, and I hope he stays in the sport for at least two more years to back-up this years performance.

He has always been a good qualifier, and just never got it together during races.

US_Peter
    Participant

Nik, this is totally off topic, but whenever I see one of your comments on the site I crack up at your Busey avatar. Classic.

nik

@US_Peter lol, thanks

RIISE

I would just find it interesting of the season outcome if say Alonso or Hamilton was in the Red Bull, title over already? Mark is a good driver but that’s it, Vettel is superior for pure pace but of course is very wreckless. I won’t give him any respect if Mark wins the WDC, he’s not exactly against all odds is he? Raikkonen to replace him next year would be brilliant.

jihelle
    Participant

It’s interesting to see that Australian drivers have always been some kind of (down)underdogs with a late blossoming and a lot of resilience. Take Alan Jones, and Jack Brabham for example. Mark Webber is very much in this line but with a softer touch than his forebearers. He has a great sense of humour as well and I loved the way he referred to Alonso as “the guy between us” during the Singapore presser (He was also taller than him on the podium even as Felipe was standing on the winner rostrum). Mark is very much of a 1980’s driver in his personal style and reminds me of Gerhard Berger in his apparent laid back approach to racing but steely determination to overcome the odds. I hope he will wins the Championship. He deserves it.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

Didn’t Mark do something like 40 consecutive races before he was outqualified by a team mate? It may not be that high a number but I read it somewhere a few years ago and thought that was pretty impressive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.