F1

McLaren claim they had fastest car towards end of 2011

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    GeorgeDaviesF1
    Participant

Japan and Abu Dhabi, yes, Germany and Hungary, Monaco and possibly Spain

Jake
    Participant

Am i right in thinking the article that claimed this was taken down?

GeorgeDaviesF1
    Participant

Yes it was

I’m trying to come up with reasons to argue that Hamilton and Button are both better than Vettel.

I can’t think of any.

Here is the article in question before it was deleted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34829627@N03/6795314367/in/photostream

A few choice quotes from McLaren Applied Technologies managing director Geoff McGrath:

“We’ve started way behind [Red Bull] in the last couple of years — that’s the really disappointing thing. But when we’re behind, you can see that historically we always catch up faster than anyone else.”

“[Sebastian Vettel] must be a brilliant driver, because by the end of last season we definitely had the best car and he was still whupping us. We’re trying to figure out exactly what he’s doing that’s so good. How does he pull out that fast qualifying lap every time? We think it’s driver skill. There’s no trickery on the cars, he just gets more out of it than we do.”

“[Sebastian Vettel] must be a brilliant driver, because by the end of last season we definitely had the best car and he was still whupping us. We’re trying to figure out exactly what he’s doing that’s so good. How does he pull out that fast qualifying lap every time? We think it’s driver skill. There’s no trickery on the cars, he just gets more out of it than we do.”

Pretty much says it all.

Jake
    Participant

Pretty much says it all.

Says nothing, I’m sure the article was deleted for a reason

Anonymous
    Inactive

What’s brilliant is that if there’s any way to guarantee F1 fans will read an article it’s to quickly pull it. It’s been all over Twitter and people are more curious than ever. Is Vettel better than JB and Ham? Yeah, in my mind and I don’t even need to think twice about saying it.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

What Steph said.

Whatever the reasons for this article being pulled are, it’s generated a bit of publicity and interest in the team ahead of the launch tomorrow. Even I’m excited for it, and I really don’t like McLaren!

Pamphlet
    Participant

About that Seb comment – wow, people are not going to be pleased about that.

matt90
    Participant

Hardly shows faith in your own drivers if you make a quote like that.

Estesark
    Participant

@matt90

he just gets more out of it than we do.

Although the drivers are arguably the single most important component part of “getting the most out of” a car, I think he is referring to the McLaren team as a whole.

raymondu999
    Participant

@pamphlet depends on your viewpoint really. I’m sure Seb is happy :P
    @Magnificent-Geoffrey they have better accents. ;)
    @jleigh Maybe McLaren didn’t want people to know a McLaren man said that?

Here’s a full sized screen grab for easier reading btw:

matt90
    Participant

They haven’t suffered from being overly cautious. The last car had the opposite problem, with the octopus exhausts proving too complicated.

I am even more excited for this launch now though.

I always said McLaren’s proposed Sedative Dispensing System for Lewis’ car would never get by the FIA.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.