F1

McLaren ‘may not attend first test’

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Master firelee
    Participant
    toiago
    Participant

Ron won’t be happy.

Nick
    Participant

Let’s hope for less than the trouble they had with the MP4/18…

Diceman
    Participant

Given that hey are going to be the first team to reveal their car, it would be very strange. But anything is possible, especially in Formula 1.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Speculation is that this was one step too far for Ron and prompted his immediate return.

Max Jacobson
    Participant

Does anyone recall the “Sabertooth” noses discussed on F1Technical? Perhaps McLaren have fallen foul of it’s most obvious defect – reduced structural integrity.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Interesting.. now I’m really wondering what we may see when we get some reveals next week.. I was hoping for some Ferrari 2010 noses or a Walrus!

Master firelee
    Participant

If Lotus failed the nose test then Mclaren could have as well, so maybe they both got set back because of it but Mclaren’s launch is digital rather than real because they won’t quite have the redesigned parts yet?

toiago
    Participant

I actually quite liked the Walrus nose of the FW26 Williams. I think it looked especially good on the head-on shots. Too bad it proved so problematic to sort out.

greg

Is there anything to stop them attending the test with a hybrid car, eg last years front nose if that is what has failed ( i am assuming it has only failed one or two tests not all of them) to at least give them some running to aid reliability with all the new regs and especially the powerplants and their cooling have they got that right, some data on the new tyres, shakedown all the systems understand a little of new tyres etc

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Yes, the regulations. The 2014 nose must be considerably lower than the 2013 nose.

Max Jacobson
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys I don’t think that is what is being asked. As far as I am aware, you are technically allowed to run an entirely illegal car during a test session provided it meets the safety requirements. It is only during official championship sessions that the car has to comply with the regulations.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

But the regulations would make it impossible for a 2013 nose to fit on a 2014 car.

Max Jacobson
    Participant

Likely so, but I don’t think a dud nose would prohibit attendence at an entire test @prisoner-monkeys, but perhaps it might. After all, the front wing is a vital aerodynamic component.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Well, the 2013 noses had to be no more than 550mm above the ground. The 2014 noses must be no more than 185mm above the ground. Good luck trying to make a car that will take both.

And since front-end aero is so important, a 2013 front wing would likely compromise the aerodynamics of the car to the point where all McLaren would be able to do is drive around. The data they would collect would be so useless that they might as well not attend.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.