• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 43 minutes ago

F1 discussion

McLaren MP4-28 teaser video

This topic contains 24 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Giggsy11 Giggsy11 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Giggsy11
    Participant

I know its very tricky to judge but the way the nose curves I think they have retained the stepped nose, we will have to wait and see.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@giggsy11

I know its very tricky to judge but the way the nose curves I think they have retained the stepped nose

Very tricky indeed, considering that McLaren never had a stepped nose in 2012.

Giggsy11
    Participant

@Prisoner Monkeys

Step/Slope call it what you will, please contribute something relevant to the thread before you clutter it up, thank you.

JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

@Giggsy11 – He’s not really cluttering up the thread, he was correcting you, as a step and a slope are two completely different things.

It is quite clear that the nose is sloped, as it was last year, and I don’t see why they would go with the route of the stepped nose anyway. Many of their cars in the previous years have had lower noses than their rivals, and given that (arguably) they had the fastest car last season and they only need to evolve their previous iteration, it could be foolish to go down a different route, which would no doubt lead to having to change other parts of the aerodynamics.

Personally, I think the changes to the car will be very small, unless they have stumbled across something revolutionary. Probable incremental changes to the exhaust and diffuser areas, as well as front and rear wings (especially the latter due to the DRS being not as advantageous in qualifying this year).

Still, I think there is something to that airbox…though I don’t know how much that could really effect a team’s performance.

Giggsy11
    Participant

@JamieFranklinF1 You’d have to be brain dead to not understand what I meant by my comment, I’m pretty sure everyone on here can interpret what I wrote. I apologise for my errors.

But yes that air box and engine cover look intriguing.

sato113
    Participant

@giggsy11
    ‘I think they have retained the stepped nose’
    the stepped nose was something the mclaren never had during 2012. it’s why most people viewd the 2012 mcalren as the best looking car on the grid. the stepped nose was literally like a step on a stair case. ie. williams, sauber etc.

Giggsy11
    Participant

@sato113 Yes I have been through this, I categorised Step and Slope as the same thing. The Mclaren still had an unconventional nose, it started the year with a normal curve (Conventional), then raised the tip up higher causing a slope-like shape. I called it a step as I categorised the nose as a Step/Slope because they are practically the same thing in this instance. The only other teams not to have a step or slope were the Marussia and the HRT.

Bob
    Participant

@giggsy11

I categorised Step and Slope as the same thing

Apologies for being so pedantic, but technically speaking, the step and slope are not the same thing, and fundamentally differ in terms of car construction.

The “step nose” (as seen on the Ferrari and Force India cars) was designed to keep the nose as high as the rules would allow (550mm) ahead of the forward bulkhead, then make a sudden transition to the full regulation-mandated height (625mm) at said bulkhead. Whereas the “slope nose”, the late-2012 McLaren nose, was designed to improve airflow to the underside of the car, while also accommodating a lower forward bulkhead than on other teams’ cars (ScarbsF1 estimates 500mm). For the 2013 McLaren to have a full-fledged “step” in the nose would require a redesign of the entire front end, and a change in the team’s long-running philosophy of building low-slung cars.

Anyway, the nose does look noticeably narrower, maybe slightly higher than on the MP4-27. There also appears to be a vane or fin of some sort between the two front tyres – that bulge in the drapes is too tall, too far forward, and the wrong shape to be the opposite-side wing mirror.

Giggsy11
    Participant

@Bob i meant that in terms of aesthetics, the slope and the step of course change many physical aspects of the car. Red bull had a very different Step to everyone else’s (cooling vent in aid of driver) but is still known as a step as aesthetically it is still a step but physically it was designed for a different use to everyone else’s flat and perhaps more draggy step. (also I am well aware that this comparison has much less effect on the overall time achieved but I’m just trying to explain my point.)

Giggsy11
    Participant

Yes, it does have a stepped nose covered by modesty panel.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.