F1

McLaren’s 50 greatest drivers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    JT19
    Participant

On their website, McLaren have put together a countdown to who they think are their 50 greatest drivers. Try and guess who the top 5 may be. These are the rankings so far….

50. Philippe Alliot

49. Michael Andretti

48. Nigel Mansell

47. Andrea de Cesaris

robbiepblake
    Participant

I guess:

5. Hamilton

4. Fittipaldi

3. Hakkinen

2. Prost

1. Senna

JT19
    Participant

5. Hakkinen

4. McLaren – yes, Brucey

3. Lauda

2. Prost

1. Senna

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Mansell, Andretti and de Cesaris?! Wow, they’re really scraping the barrel there!

JT19
    Participant

it’s like they couldn’t think of 50 drivers LOL

robbiepblake
    Participant

Forgot about Lauda and the founder of the team! Here’s my revisions of how I believe THEIR top 10 will appear (not what I believe to be their best):

10. Alonso

9. Coulthard

8. Raikkonen

7. Hamilton

6. Fittipaldi

5. Lauda

4. McLaren

3. Hakkinen

2. Prost

1. Senna

jsw11984
    Participant

5. Raikkonen

4. Hamilton

3. Prost

2. McLaren

1. Senna

Todfod
    Participant

@driftin.I really doubt they will put Alonso on the list.

I’m pretty sure they will have Senna at #1 and Lewis at #2 just to make him happy. Hakinnen and Raikkonnen should make the top 10 as well.

jihelle
    Participant

They say on their site “no active drivers” so that takes Hamilton and Alonso out (and presumably Raikkonen as he still drives rally cars).

So if I follow their rules:

1. Prost (he brought the team back to the forefront after so many abysmal years)

2. Senna (he hung in Prost’s coattails and I am going to take a lot of flak for this…)

3. Hakkinen

4. Hunt

5. Lauda

sw6569
    Participant

…it takes Button out too!

There is no way they would rank Button or Hamilton – imagine how that would go down for team morale!

Scribe
    Participant

No jihelle, I totally agree, Senna could drive ridiculous fast, no one ever said he could develop a car or move a team forward. Personally I belive it was the dream team of Lauda and Prost, two incredibly technically gifted drivers that really got McLaren into it’s golden era.

Although, you’d have to say, a FAIR amount of credit has to go to Ron Dennis and Gordon Murray.

TommyB
    Participant

…it takes Button out too!

There is no way they would rank Button or Hamilton – imagine how that would go down for team morale!

It says on the website they don’t count current drivers. So no Alonso, Hamilton or Button. Makes sense, like you say it would make fans argue.

George
    Participant

5. Hakkinen

4. Fittipaldi

3. Lauda

2. Senna

1. Prost

Kind of confused if this is supposed to be driver ranking or usefulness to the team, obviously McLaren wouldn’t exist without Bruce. Prost pips Senna for reasons stated above.

robbiepblake
    Participant

They say on their site “no active drivers” so that takes Hamilton and Alonso out (and presumably Raikkonen as he still drives rally cars).

Ah okay. I still think Raikkonen will be on it though.

jihelle
    Participant

As much as I like Button (and I really do), it would take a lot more from him to rank amongst the best five drivers for the team. I hesitated between Fittipaldi and Hunt but Emmo really let them down in a bad way to go to Copersucar. Hunt brought them glamour and Hunt all in opposite lock in a Marlboro liveried M23 is the stuff of legend.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.