F1

Michelin may become next F1 tyre maker (BBC)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Lucas Wilson
    Participant

The BBC website has this interesting post: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/23824122

Talks about that Pirelli and Mitchellin could be f1 tyre makers next year.

Deej92
    Participant

The irony that a Michelin ad popped up when I went on this page. Two suppliers would be an unexpected development but an interesting one to the hugely different 2014 season. I see Pirelli staying either way.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

It may sound far-fetched at the moment. But Michellin have done very well for themselves in Le Mans.

Guilherme
    Participant

Oh God please no, not a tyre war. If Michelin really comes, then we must say farewell to Pirelli. Tyre wars are a terrible terrible idea and we don’t need it at all.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@guilherme

I’m quite happy for Pirelli to go and michellin to come. At least Michellin stopped their cars from participating in a possibly dangerous race, Pirelli didn’t.

Nick
    Participant

From what I’ve gathered from some online/blogs people I trust:

– FOM, the teams and Pirelli have agreed on a deal, but the FIA is still talking to Michelin
    – Michelin would like to help the sport get a greener image by reducing the focus on pitstops; implying there will be less

From some less reliable corners of the internet:

– The reason the wheel size change for next year is off is Michelin being announced for 2015 with the new wheel sizes before the end of the current season.
    – The FIA will confirm Pirelli’s departure after 2014 at the same time they will announce their contract for 2014.

Is it just me, or is this getting way sillier than after Bridgestone announced their departure?

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@npf1

First two seem plausible.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What’s wrong with a tyre war?

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@bmwf1

Excatly, it would encourage both sides to push their boundries.

This rumour’s been around for quite a while.

@bmwf1 @full-throttle-f1

What’s wrong with a tyre war?

The huge expense and the safety implications of uncontrollable speed increases, for starters. On top of which Pirelli reckon that even when a tyre manufacturer helps win a race with a superior product, the credit goes to the driver or the team, so there’s nothing in it for them. And of course it puts the sport at risk of having a series of seasons dominated by a single driver/team who has access to tailor-made tyres, as happened at the beginning of the 2000s.

I haven’t missed the tyre war for a moment since it ended. Apart from in a knee-jerk rose-tinted specs sort of way, I don’t see why anyone would.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

I’d prefer it if Pirelli moved out and Michelin moved in.

Tyre wars are awful.

Tyre wars encourage manufacturers to work closely with the team that gives them the best chance of winning the title (Ferrari-Bridgestone), rather than give each team equal treatment.

You can also end up with seasons decided on how good the tyres are as opposed to how good the cars and drivers are (2003, 2005). That can make races pretty boring too.

The way things are now with a single manufacturer, with tyres designed to produce interesting racing, is fine.

EDIT: Looks like Keith beat me to it!

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

I’d still prefer it if Pirelli went. Yes, the problems are because of what they were asked to do, but they don’t seem that good at doing it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I watched most races of the 2001 season on YouTube and thoroughly enjoyed every second of it.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@bmwf1

That’s nostalgia. In a couple of years time we’ll all be saying “I wish this year was like 2013, they had good racing then”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.