Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 8 hours, 39 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Michelin may become next F1 tyre maker (BBC)

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of karter22 karter22 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BMWF1
    BMWF1
    Participant

Considering I didn’t start watching F1 until 2010, I don’t really consider that nostalgia.

I’d still prefer it if Pirelli went. Yes, the problems are because of what they were asked to do, but they don’t seem that good at doing it.

How? They’ve done what has been asked of them and made races far more exciting since they came into the sport in 2011. They’ve also had minimal actual track testing time aside from pre-season testing, so they’ve had to do a lot of guess work as to how to make the tyres do what the teams and the FIA want them to do.

Sure, they got things a bit wrong in Spain, but what happened at Silverstone was a result of a load of factors out of their control – things like the teams running extreme cambers and pressures outside of Pirelli’s own recommendations, putting tyres designed to go on the left side of the car on the right side and having their harder compounds that they asked the teams to allow them to introduce blocked by the teams after some of them vetoed it.

People who think Pirelli are somehow ‘failing’ at their job really are looking at this whole situation at face value and not considering the full picture at all.

Profile photo of JackySteeg
    JackySteeg
    Participant

I would be very sad to see Pirelli go. They’ve entered the sport with the intent of making it more interesting for us at the risk of ruining their own reputation as a tyre company. Whether or not they’ve made the racing more interesting is a matter of opinion, but I can think of few other major corporations which have entered F1 willing to make things better for the fans. And in a sport which so frequently leaves its fans out in the cold, I think that’s worth a lot.

Profile photo of Aish Heydrich
    Aish Heydrich
    Participant

Waiting for Bild to confirm it. :P

Profile photo of karter22
    karter22
    Participant

Oh man!!!! Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes again!!!! ;) hahahhahahhaa ALO had his way when paired with Michellins!!!!! This is awesome news!!! Way to go Jean Todt!!!
    It was about time we had another Tyre war! It will finally make the suppliers actually make good tyres!

Edit: Duplicate thread closed by moderator

F1 Fanatic round-up: More rumours of Michelin F1 return in 2014

For more information see the forum rules

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.