• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 2 hours, 38 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Mika Häkkinen vs Kimi Räikkönen

This topic contains 31 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of M Dickens M Dickens 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Ed Marques
    Participant

Great interview! I miss Mika’s personality in F1.

Angelia
    Participant

Both are good drivers but they drove in very different times. The grid has been much more competitive then when Mika won his titles. Mika only had Schumacher to compete against, and the car advantages where much bigger in those days. The grid is much closer and more competitive nowadays. Mika was somewhat in an advantageous position 1999.
    It is true that Mika didn’t always drive for the best teams. But even though Kimi drove for the best teams he often just didn’t have good cars. Especially in 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006 & 2009. Kimi has never had the out and out best car like Mika had, except for 2005 perhaps, but then he had a lot of reliability issues.
    In 2003 and 2012 Kimi never had the best car but he did well. The Ferrari was a great car in 2007 but it was pretty equal to Mclaren, and they would have won the WCC. Kimi’s only real WCC winning car was in 2008, when he himself under performed.
    People claim Kimi lacked motivation in 2008 & 2009, but the same could be said of Mika in 2000 & 2001.
    Mika was better a qualifier there is no doubt about that (although even the qualifying format has changed a lot), but I think Kimi is a better overall package. Through the years Kimi has proven himself of being able to get good results in fast and slow cars. His race craft is what sets him a part. It always seemed like Kimi has a sharper edge to him, more of a killer instinct mentality. But at the same time this also perhaps makes Mika more likable to the general public.

If Kimi didn’t return to F1 then, then I would definitively have said that Mika was better. But the fact that Kimi has return after 2 years to a smaller team, and have done so well have given him the edge. It just shows that Kimi has been able to prove himself in a variety of different situations.

Kingshark
    Participant

People claim Kimi lacked motivation in 2008 & 2009, but the same could be said of Mika in 2000 & 2001.

I can give you 2001, but in 2000 Mika did just a fine job, and if there was a lack of motivation, I didn’t see it.

Todfod
    Participant

I supported Hakkinnen 98 to 2001 with a lot of zeal, but I always thought he was slightly over rated. It took him a vastly superior car in 1998 and Schumacher’s accident in 1999 to win those world titles. To be honest, if Mika and Schumi had the same machinery, I would expect Schumi to come out on top by a decent margin
    Kimi on the other hand, I thought was a much more fierce competitor regardless of how strong the machinery was. If Kimi and Schumacher were in the same machinery, it would be really close, in fact I would go as far as saying that Kimi would beat Schumi

So I think Kimi was better.. by quite a bit too.

Kingshark
    Participant

@Todfod

To be honest, if Mika and Schumi had the same machinery, I would expect Schumi to come out on top by a decent margin

I agree. That’s exactly what we saw in 2000. When McLaren and Ferrari were about equal, Schumacher scored 108 points compared to 89 points for Mika, and wrapped up the championship with a race to spare.

If Kimi and Schumacher were in the same machinery, it would be really close, in fact I would go as far as saying that Kimi would beat Schumi

Michael Schumacher in his prime, from 1996-1998? I highly, highly doubt that. Schumi was an absolute beast in the late-90′s, especially considering that the Ferrari’s he drove were inferior at the time.

Dan
    Participant

I can give you 2001, but in 2000 Mika did just a fine job, and if there was a lack of motivation, I didn’t see it.

After a good start to 2000, Mika definitely had a little lull before the middle of the season, where Coulthard was outqualifying and outracing him and even overhauled him in the championship. If I remember correctly from about Austria onwards the old Mika was back to his best. I think that ’99 season took a lot out of him mentally. After Schumacher’s accident he was probably expecting an easy ride but errors, accidents and mechanical problems made it a slog all the way to the final round, which it should never have been.

I find it difficult to compare Hakkinen and Raikkonen, there’s no way to say for sure that one is better than the other. I will say that even though I was a fanatical Schumacher/Ferrari fan, I would put these two as my next favourite drivers, and in my view they are among the best f1 drivers ever.

As young Schuey fan in the late 90′s, Hakkinen gave me some brilliant sporting memories. I always loved when Schumacher beat Hakkinen in a tight race, because I knew Michael really had to earn that one. I sometimes find myself watching old qualifying battles between the two from that era (Imola and Suzuka ’00 are personal favourites – it’s like yesterday for me). Thinking back now, F1 was my life back then!

To get back on topic, we should be glad we can watch somebody of Kimi’s calibre race in F1 today, and if Ferrari can’t do it this year, I’d love to see Kimi get the title…to do it with Lotus would leave no doubt about whether he is really as good as his fans say he is.

Delta Golf Sierra
    Participant

Having watched both, I’d give the edge to Kimi. His ability to manage his car and consistently finish in the points is impressive, especially in an era of closer competition than during Mika’s time. Kimi has had a top 3 finish in the WDC in 5 out of his 10 years in F1, while Mika had 3 in 11 years. While Mika was undoubtedly the better qualifier, the finish is what counts, and Kimi is one of the best in his time at race management.

craig-o
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcPwvt45dDw Kimi could bring out a decent lap when he wanted to though, this one wasn’t too bad!

Nathan
    Participant

I read that people here think that Raikkonen isn’t quick in qualifying as the other two young champions of recent times – ie Vettel and Hamilton..

Something that I find strange, remember guys, back in the McLaren days Raikkonen often was extremely fast on saturdays. Just look at this clip from Q1 in Monaco 2005, both Raikkonen and Alonso were fast, but Raikkonen beat ALonso by almost a half second on that short track.>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMc8qy6U1o0

Kingshark
    Participant

@il-ferrarista
    People often tend to make that assumption because Kimi has more wins than poles, same with Alonso, whereas Vettel and Hamilton have more poles than wins.

However, you can just as easily flip that around. A driver who has more poles than wins has thrown opportunities away, and is incapable of capitalizing. Whereas a driver who has more wins than poles, doesn’t need pole to win.

It all depends on how you look at it.

Matthijs
    Participant

@Todfod, @esquilax I suggest you watch the documentary I posted a page back. There Hakkinen reveals that indeed he suffered from stress (‘mental exhaustion’?) in 1999 (and perhaps 2000 too), that have contibuted to his mid-season dip.
    I doubt Iceman Kimi will have that… ;)

Asanator
    Participant

I’d give it to Kimi, he is a truly great racing driver, I don’t mean just in F1, he is a racing driver in the more traditional sense of the word, fast in anything and willing to give anything a go. Mika was undoubtedly fast however he had the benefit of car advantage in his latter McLaren years and nearly got beaten by Irvine in 1999 for Christs sake!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Hakkinen wins for me. He is, after all, the only man whose presence Michael Schumacher ever admitted to being intimidated by when they were racing.

George
    Participant

@kingshark
    Well I think Mercedes’ situation this year shows that it’s as much down to the car as the driver. In all likelyhood his McLaren cars were designed for ultimate speed rather than consistent race pace (they were Newey cars after all), unlike his current Lotus which looks after its tyres much better than it’s competitors.

Jon Sandor

It has to be Kimi, right? I mean, Hakkinen won his WDC’s in Adrian Newey cars, which I understand makes those titles worth very little. Or something like that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.