F1

Monacan F1 drivers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    jsw11984
    Participant

I was thinking when I was watching the grand prix this morning has there ever been a F1 driver actually from Monaco, (not lives there as most of the grid seems to) but was actually born in Monaco and has Monacan citizenship?

It seems odd that Monaco is so deeply entrenched in F1’s history yet I don’t believe theres been a natural born Monacan F1 driver

Bleu
    Participant

There has been two IIRC: Louis Chiron in 1950s and Olivier Beretta in 1994. Chiron is also the oldest driver to have started Grand Prix at the age of 55.

In GP2 Series there’s Stefano Coletti and he’s done quite well this year, even winning one race although it was sprint race with reversed top 8 grid. Clivio Piccione also drove in the series some years ago.

James_mc
    Participant

I believe the term is Monegasque! I think that Rosberg might have been born in Monaco, and I’m sure that some sons of F1 drivers must have been born in the Princess Grace hospital. But then again the “racing licence” you can more or less pick and choose where you’re from!

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Nico Rosberg would’ve been well within his rights to choose a Monegasque racing licence. In fact I’m a bit surprised he didn’t, most people seem to identify as being a national of the place they grew up rather than the place they happened to be born.

But then again, I suppose the most important factor in such decisions is money- look at Ho Pin Tung, for example, the Dutch born and raised driver who races under a Chinese licence- and I’m sure being classed as German would’ve opened more doors for Rosberg than being Monegasque ever could

Red Andy
    Participant

Just to correct everyone, the actual term for a resident of Monaco is “septuagenarian”… ;)

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Just googled that… haha

GeeMac
    Participant

Olivier Beretta (who finished 8th in the 1994 Monaco GP for Larrousse) was Monaco born but raced under the French flag if I remember right.

Anonymous
    Inactive

In GP2 there have been two Monegasques: Clivio Piccione (2005-2006) and Stefano Coletti (2009-present). None of them has made it to F1 (or not yet).

MattHT
    Participant

I Like the look of Coletti though, he has a chance if things go well. Also, there’s a Monegasque bloke called Stephane Richelmi in the Formula Renault 3.5 this year, but he isn’t up to much.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Richelmi tested for Ferrari and should be of its Driver Academy, so he must have some potential.

MattHT
    Participant

Clearly he’s decent, just meant he wasn’t up to much this season so far. I did remember something about a Ferrari test but couldn’t remember the details. Having looked it up, he won a test for finishing in the top 3(2nd) in the Italian Formula 3 series last year, but was slower than the other two guys in the test. Wait and see I guess.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.