F1

Monaco's time is up?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Ell
    Participant

Well, a Monaco Grand Prix that ended up with DRS being banned in the tunnel, two drivers end up in hospital after big crashes and a red flag. Is the time right to get rid of Monaco for safety?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nah, Monaco is the place everyone looks foward to on the calender

David-A
    Participant

No.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

It’s a perfectly reasonable question. I don’t for a second think it will lose its place on the calendar, and I suppose I wouldn’t really want it to either, but it’s hard to deny that it’s completely unsuitable for modern F1.

I’m surprised it didn’t lose its place on the calendar following Imola 1994, when so many dangerous corners were neutered with chicanes. I wasn’t old enough to follow F1 back then, but can anyone who watched F1 back in the mid 90’s remember if there was any talk about Monaco being axed after Senna and Ratzenberger’s deaths?

Anonymous
    Inactive

In the 1994 Monaco Grand Prix Karl Wendlinger crashed his Sauber at Nouvelle Chicane like Perez did, hitting his head on a water-filled barrier and ending in coma for weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yUxMLIbtIk

f199player
    Participant

Monaco is dangerous but thats what makes it a great tack there is no room for error and the driver just have to cope

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Ultimately a track is only as dangerous as the drivers racing it. If the drivers feel it is unsafe it’s up to them to do something about it. They have the power to do so.

Personally, I don’t think it should go, we should keep it.

George
    Participant

Well Petrov’s accident wasn’t serious at all, that could happen at any street circuit (or any circuit with walls near the track). There are really two dangerous places at Monaco, the first corner and the exit of the tunnel, since they’re the only places the cars get near to maximum speed. Perhaps the bump on the exit of the tunnel should be looked at, certainly not worth scrapping the track for though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nah, Monaco is the place everyone looks foward to on the calender

Not me. It was a lot better this year than it has been the past couple of years, but if there is one race in the year I don’t mind missing, it’s Monaco.

The only valid reason to keep going to Monaco, is because the drivers like the challenge. In every other aspect, it’s long outlasted its welcome. People whine about poor tracks designed by Tilke that don’t allow overtaking and conveniently forget that overtaking in Monaco is nigh on impossible. People complain about poor track safety and completely ignore that the margin for error is the lowest by far of any of the tracks in use. If the road surface condition was anything like at Monaco anywhere else, the drivers would complain until they saw blue in the face and yet in Monaco it’s “part of the challenge”. As Martin Brundle said in commentary today: “nowhere else do you actually have to mount the pavement to extract the best laptime”.

But I guess Bernie gets his money on time every time, so there won’t be any serious consideration to taking it off the calendar as long as he’s in charge.

Icthyes
    Participant

I’m in the minority, but I don’t think Monaco is that great. Sure, it’s a challenge, but I have to keep telling myself that down the years after watching procession after procession. And then intermittently we get big, serious crashes. Until they sort that spear-barrier I’ll never be happy with going to Monaco again.

Zadak

They will make Monaco work better for the future

I don’t remember watching that many boring races at Monaco, ok so it’s near impossible to pass, but that quality is now becoming pretty difficult to find on modern F1 tracks. And that has prooved to make some interesting situations this year, after we’ve got so used to drivers just slipping past each other on tyre difference.

If you want loads of overtaking then watch some NASCAR

Monaco has class that no other F1 race has.

Look at what happened to WRC when they lost Monte Carlo

Scribe
    Participant

The elephant in the room is the racing at Monaco has been processional for years, the fastest cars usually end up at the front, the whole event is at it’s best during the build up, qualifying and the rush to the first corner. However this year the racing was fantastic at long last, for the first time in years rain didn’t need to save us from another year of denial.

Personally I think it should stay, but they need to sort out the exit from the tunnel soonish, possibly move the whole thing an actually make it an overtaking spot.

Icthyes
    Participant

WRC went downhill because the quality of competition seriously declined.

We have seen a better Monaco this year but the safety is poor for a modern F1 circuit. Interlagos saw many deaths before they moved that wall, are we going to have to have the same to change Monaco?

wasiF1
    Participant

They won’t get rid of it that easily but yeah they need to work a lot on safety.

australian
    Participant

It was a good race

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.