F1

My idea for DRS

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I had a thought whilst reading some of the comment on the ‘Turkey Rate the Race’ page about the DRS zone.

It might be an awful idea but bear with me.

Keep the DRS zone as it is, keeping it at the same kind of length as it is now. So if a driver is within a second they can deploy it, which helps the driver get close to the driver in front. However when the driver is within say 0.5 seconds, you could disable the DRS, making it not too easy to overtake.

So this would make the DRS a good tool to get close to the driver in front but not making it so easy that the driver just breezes past.

I just felt that this could be a better option that reducing the DRS zone. I’m sure the FIA and F1 know what they are doing and will sort out the DRS to make it not so easy, I just thought this was a good idea.

Let me know your thoughts.

Icthyes
    Participant

Not a bad idea. Personally I’d prefer:

– Delaying the use of DRS for two laps after you’re within 1 second. You have to be within 2 seconds for the next two laps as well.

-Moving the zones to non-traditional overtaking points, smaller straights, or coming out of aero-dependant corners.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry I don’t think I understand your first point. So you get within 1 second, and you can use it for that lap. Next 2 laps you cant use it. Then you can use it within 2 seconds on the lap after that?

Moving it to other zones could work. Such as smaller straights, meaning you could have more than one zone.

Todfod
    Participant

The really ‘artificial’ or easy overtakes are the ones which use DRS and KERS at the same time to breeze by the car in front. If the car behind can use either DRS or KERS, but not both at the same time, then we should get some more interesting battles. The car in front will use KERS to defend in the DRS zone, and the chasing car can use KERS during the rest of the lap to try an overtake some place else.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s an interesting point. DRS vs KERS is much fairer than, DRS + KERS vs KERS. That would require some crazy computational skills to work out that though

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Let me know your thoughts.

The DRS rules are already complex enough as is. Your idea only makes them even more complex. If the DRS was a problem in Turkey, it was down to the placement of the activation zone. The top of the hill would have been a better place; the physics of a racing car mean that it actually gets lighter going uphill, and because it is lighter, it can go faster. Compounded with the DRS, that means drivers have more speed.

DavidS
    Participant

@PM

How does a racing car get lighter going uphill?

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Smifaye- in theory it does make sense, but I think it would probably overcomplicate something that is already pretty complicated!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Fair enough, it does make it quite complicated, but it just struck me as a good idea.

Icthyes
    Participant

My idea was this:

Lap 13 – Rosberg is within 1 second of Webber, so it’s established he’s quicker, but he just can’t get alongside into the corner

Lap 14 – Rosberg is affected by the dirty air but it still only 1.2s behind

Lap 15 – Rosberg is 1.3s behind and can now use his DRS

Why? To differentiate between when a driver is genuinely being held up by the wake instead of giving them an easy pass first time around.

Of course, it’s an inferior idea to re-placing the zone and too complicated. I hope the FIA don’t just make the zones 400m in length in reaction, because most of the time the zones have been about right in length (Australia it was in the wrong place, I feel), plus they will be reducing them to lengths smaller than other straights on the circuit (I suggested DRS be on the pit straight or out of Turn 8 in Turkey).

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

How does a racing car get lighter going uphill?

The physics of it. I believe there is less downforce when the car travels uphill. Therefore, there is less weight pushing down on the car.

Leftie
    Participant

I think Martin Brundle in his latest column offered an absolutely wonderful idea – limit the amount of times driver can deploy DRS during a race.

SouthAussie94
    Participant

@PM I think you’ve got your physics wrong..

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t the car get ‘heavier’ going up the hill and ‘lighter’ coming down? As it goes up, the air around the wings would be pushing downwards onto them, creating more downforce, and as the car goes down, air would be trapped under the wings, creating more lift, and therefore less weight.

It would be a absolute minuscule amount though and would barely effect total speed.

I still believe, like Leftie said, that both KERS and DRS should be allowed to be used a set number of times each race. Say DRS can be used 20 times in a race and each driver can use a maximum of 3minutes worth of KERS. That would encourage more strategy as the drivers would have to decide when its worthwhile using both the KERS and DRS.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.