F1

National anthem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    MarcusAurelius
    Participant

Everytime at the end of the German national anthem for Vettel I’m humming the start of the Italian national anthem…

I guess I’ve seen so many Schumacher & Ferrari wins the Italian anthem seems glued to the end of the German one….

George
    Participant

If only. The Austrian anthem is the worst one I’ve ever heard

Cristian
    Participant

We did once when he won for Toro Rosso !

Icthyes
    Participant

I remember Allen saying how it was ominous that it was the same sequence as we got used to with Schumacher. Guess he was right!

Strontium
    Participant

What was everyone’s opinion on that ‘British’ national anthem, ‘Gad Save our Queen’, today?

Personally I thought it was a disgrace.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

@strontium – Oh, Alesha Dixon completely ruined it, and I didn’t think it was possible to ruin something that sounds so dull! We need a more chirpy upbeat anthem I think.

Strontium
    Participant

Not only that, but surely the entire solo singing before a sporting event an American tradition? That isn’t wanted in Britain.

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

@strontium it happens here in Australia too, and personally I think it’s better that way. However I think it depends on the country. The Australian, American and Canadian anthems are all songs that are very specifically about the country. I mean, any monarchy could have God Save the Queen/King as the anthem, it’s not very specific to the country. But if any country other than Australia, America or Canada had “Advance Australia Fair”, “O Canada” or “The Star Spangled Banner” as anthems it would obviously be silly (although in the latter, the USA is never actually specifically mentioned).

Basically what I’m trying to say is that, in my mind, the lyrics in the above anthems are much more significant and specific to the country than in the British anthem.

I really don’t see why Brits seem to noy like their Anthem.

Maybe there should be a referendum to replace it with Dancing with the Moonlit Knight though :p

PorscheF1
    Participant

Well, all those Brits complaining about the ridiculous levels of nationalism is last years Russian GP sure need to take a look at how they act themselves.

Strontium
    Participant

Would just like to say as a disclaimer, I wasn’t one of those! (Or I hope not at least.) And I personally don’t mind God Save the Queen, I think it is quite a tune!

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

True @xtwl. National anthem before a race is a bit of an anachronism, but seeing as a lot of the countries are subsidising the races, it’s a concession from Bernie. If only they could play the Sex Pistols version instead..

On Americanisation, as the dominant English culture in a globalised world, it’s noticeable that British culture is adopting more and more facets of it as time goes on.

JackySteeg
    Participant

I was surprised that they had the Royal Marines Band (I think that’s what they’re called?) doing their usual business at the front of the grid, but got someone else to sing the anthem acapella. I thought they always did the rendition of the athem…

@davidnotcoulthard
    might be a tad too long for the podium ceremonies. Mind you, it’s shorter than the Austrian one!

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

God Save the Queen is terrible at the best of times, but Alesha Dixon’s version was pretty cringeworthy.

Forgetting the lyrics of the anthem for one moment (which I don’t like) but the tune of God Save the Queen is just so borig. “God Save our gracious Queen, long live our noble queen…” Eurgh. At least with Fratelli D’Italia or La Marseillaise they have a good tune to them, and before a sporting occasion they would get you pumped up to represent your country (although when you look into the lyrics a bit further they are surprisingly violent.)

I live in hope that one day a British race winner will launch into a lusty rendition of the following:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.