F1

New 2015 FOM graphics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Strontium
    Participant

New for this year are completely new graphics displayed on television, for the first time since 2010. The graphics are made up of bigger fonts, rectangles, and the lap counter is in the top-left corner.

What does everybody think?

PhilEReid
    Participant

I love them for the most part, I think it’s a really nice and sleek design. My only issue is that the running order displayed on the left seems to take up much more of the screen now. It doesn’t seem as far left as it could be which I think could be an issue. Otherwise, I like the change.

Great.

Very 2003-esque but great. (shows how strange people are though – striving to get enough computing power for complex shiny textures only to the go back to flat things, albeit with thin fonts and animations and all that)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Metro style has grown on me, and while these graphics look nice on the F1 site or on the F1 App (if they are used), I think the previous graphics were prettier for large TV screens. The rectangles themselves seem to be my issue: they seem too… static, and big.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Someone in live chat mentioned that the move was probably made for HD viewers, which makes sense seeing the move to 16:9 default layout (this must finally be a majority, like the move to widescreen in 2007?).

Agreed that the rectangles are too static and big. Some of them are filling space on screen for no reason. But it makes sense that they are pivoting to mobile at last.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Pleased they’ve moved the lap counter/clock away from the centre of the screen – that always got in the way of onboard shots.

Pitstop times were good. At last, they show the “3.1” stationary time as the car pulls away, but also have the total pit-lane time that’s useful for comparison.

Didn’t like the way they keep showing the number of places gained off the grid by each driver – confusing and unnecessary.

Strontium
    Participant

Personally the lap counter being in the middle is the thing I miss the most.

I do prefer the old graphics more. They were unique and just seemed right for F1. But this isn’t too bad.

Alianora La Canta
    Participant

I hate the change as it means I now have to squint to see the timing and scoring information. Given that I watch with people who have even more trouble reading the screens than I do, it makes it difficult to follow the races (my family has long since given up on the commentators keeping up with what’s going on). If it’s a ploy to get me to pay for the app, it’s a rubbish one because the same unreadable-to-me font is used for the data there too.

Did anyone else notice the total absence of the “fuel used” metric – something that was rather important to understanding pacing?

paulgilb
    Participant

Another thing that was lacking in the new graphics was the indication as to which drivers had crossed the start/finish line after the end of each part of qualifying – previously there would be a chequered-flag icon by the driver’s name.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Much prefer the new style – the font and size of lettering much easier to read. Also pleased they’ve ditched the slanted sides they used before.

Strontium
    Participant

I loved the slanted sides, they looked slick as it gets :D

KaIIe
    Participant

The graphics are definitely missing some features (like the previously mentioned chequered flag), but after one weekend, I do prefer their style over the previous one. Maybe my eyesight is bad (it is!), but I really like the clear and large font. However, I still do not like displaying the running order during the race only on the bottom of the screen. Every time I glance at it, the gap I wanted to see has usually just been displayed, and I have to wait further 30-odd seconds for it to come up again.

PhilEReid
    Participant

After watching the race itself I agree that there are some problems that I didn’t see before. One is that the purple colouring of the fastest lap on the already dark background actually made it quite difficult to see what time it was sometimes. Another is that I do miss having the running order on the left. I think they could still do it they just need to shrink the new graphics down a touch to make it happen. Other than a few missing features, I do really like the new style. Just needs refining.

Atticus
    Participant

I don’t like they ditched the slanted sides – they used to form quite a synergy with the F1 logo and give the viewer a sense of movement overall, which is never a bad thing in the fastest single-seater motorsport category. Now it’s too static. Even slightly rounded edges would be better.

I also don’t like how it’s now the font that gets green or orange as per it’s an advantage or deficit the driver has – I think the older style, when it was the background getting the distinctive look, was much easier to spot. The background revealed if it’s an advantage or a deficit and then the font conveyed the amount of that advantage/deficit. Now it’s the font that carries all the information and it’s a bit overwhelmed, I think.

Finally, I also don’t like that everything is in a different place now. Not just the lap/session counter, but even the name/flag/time/gap rectangle is just way differently arranged and it’s that much harder to catch the thing you need the most quickly. You just need that split-second of time which could be best described as ‘oh, you’re not here, where are you then?’.

At least the constantly present standings column on the left and the rolling standings on the bottom made a return by quali after missing FP1 and FP2…

My biggest issue with the new style is, however, exactly that – that it’s just a new style and with no improvement in or addition to the data displayed. Overall, I’m disappointed.

John H
    Participant

They look good. Clean and tasteful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.