F1

New F1 podium design

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    fishfingers
    Participant

Not sure if this has been posted but I was browsing through the gallery of Silverstone Wednesday images on the Sky Sports website and noticed this:

http://i50.tinypic.com/15fuxh.jpg

Looks like the podium has been redesigned.

@fishfingers No, that’s where it was last year when they built the new pits. The plan is to build large new grandstands opposite so lots of fans have a good view of it.

fishfingers
    Participant

I mean the actual platform they stand on, it’s all curved and has this shiny metal around it. Last year it was the usual cardboard/wood background (Santander) that we are used to.

Look at the picture – there is a free standing part with some sort of roof that was definitely not there last year.

Last year reference photo:
    Podium of Fernando Alonso, Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber at the 2011 FORMULA 1 SANTANDER BRITISH GRAND PRIX

Slr
    Participant

The new podium looks okay, though I wait to see the actual podium ceremony to see if it better. The positioning of it is stupid.

By the way, I never realised on the royal family members was there last year. I’m not sure of his name however as I’m not really interested in the royal family.

fishfingers
    Participant
    fishfingers
    Participant

Here is the best picture yet:

https://p.twimg.com/AxC7jZGCIAIO0h3.jpg:large

Looks like a new podium design for all races going forward.

the_sigman
    Participant

Fantastic podium.

robk23
    Participant

There appears the the podium ceremony has been changed as well. For the GP2 Feature Race there was music played as the drivers came onto the podium (which I found a bit cheap) and the audio by Bob Constanduros was part of the official TV feed (Will Buxton and Jerome d’Ambrosio went quiet for a good few minutes as a result). I would prefer to hear the commentators and the interviews on the podium were not something I would want to see again (that didn’t feature in the GP3 race).

katederby
    Participant

I missed the real flags… nothing like seeing your nation’s colours being raised.

robk23
    Participant

@katederby Agreed, a picture of a flag on a screen has no soul.

matt90
    Participant

Agreed

Lin1876
    Participant

I’m not a fan of the new podium. I find the current arrangements to be a bit bland, and having the flags on screens makes the situation worse, not better. Still, it makes the podium at Monaco more special, so I guess we can’t complain.

damonsmedley
    Participant

I think FOM are trying a few new things. They did that seemingly impromptu interview with Charlie Whiting yesterday which I have never seen before in my years of watching Formula 1, now they’re possibly adding a small bit of commentary to the world feed for the podium ceremony… Will they one day have world feed commentary? Will FOM have its own premium channel at a cost with its own commentators and unrivalled access and coverage? Am I reading too much into this?

By the way, does anyone have a video of this ceremony?

xjr15jaaag
    Participant

I think thet it’d be nice should the podium be placed on top of the silverstone wing

pwaa
    Participant

Apart from the lack of actual flags, and the guy that doesn’t know when to stop saying Champagne, it looks good. Going by the GP2/3 races, anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.