Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 51 minutes ago

F1 discussion

New F1 podium design

Tagged: 

This topic contains 47 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Magnificent Geoffrey Magnificent Geoffrey 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

But “champagne” is a fun word to say.

Profile photo of mattshaw85
    mattshaw85
    Participant

Didn’t like the podium design, it’s a little garish! And preferred the real flags too, but liked the interview on the podium, and the way they’ve set it up so more of the fans can see the podium a lot better.

Profile photo of damonsmedley
    damonsmedley
    Participant

Ditch the generic music (not Overture, though!) and replace the digital flags with real ones and I think they’re onto a winner. Was there no press conference after the race today? I don’t seem to remember one, so has that little session of #qanda taken over?

Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

@damonsmedley What generic music? The winning national anthems?

Profile photo of David-A
    David-A
    Participant

@damonsmedley – I think the interviews on the podium replaced the conference. I quite like the change, having the drivers speak to the interviewer and fans while on the podium.

Profile photo of damonsmedley
    damonsmedley
    Participant

@raymondu999 You didn’t hear it? Just before and after the national anthems.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I know there were some problems with the world feed, so that might explain why raymondu didn’t see it. I know that Australia cut back to the local studio once the results were put up, even though they usually show the podium.

Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

I don’t remember whether or not I heard it. It’s possible – I was running off Star Sports coverage.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

As I’ve said elsewhere, I really liked the new podium and I especially liked having a legend of the sport interview the top three in front of the spectators. Definitely a change for the better.

Profile photo of Slr
    Slr
    Participant

I believe they should do the interview after the champagne, it just seems to be the better thing to do.

Profile photo of Chalky
    Chalky
    Participant

The new podium looked quite nice. I like the detail of the past champions around the outside.
    Not quite sure about the revolving flags. You know one day they will get stuck.
    But who told Kenneth Clarke to stand right in front of Webber? He should be kept well out of the way and the full view should be of the top 3 drivers. Even the TV camera guys were all trying their best to get just Webber in shot by zooming right in on his face. I hope that this was a mistake just for this day and not the way forward for future podium ceremonies. Podiums are for the drivers. Keep the politicians out of it until they have to present the trophies.
    Full marks also to the 3 drivers for soaking the Santander girls with champagne too. :D

…and I didn’t have time to stay for Jackie’s questions afterwards, so I can’t comment on that. I’ll have to check out the recording later. However, it may not be as fun for these questions outside if it was chucking it down with rain.

Profile photo of the_sigman
    the_sigman
    Participant

But who told Kenneth Clarke to stand right in front of Webber? He should be kept well out of the way and the full view should be of the top 3 drivers. Even the TV camera guys were all trying their best to get just Webber in shot by zooming right in on his face. I hope that this was a mistake just for this day and not the way forward for future podium ceremonies. Podiums are for the drivers. Keep the politicians out of it until they have to present the trophies.

On the GP2 race a politician was also were Kenneth Clarke was, but I can’t remember he was the same person. It was also funny when Vettel put his Pirelli cap on Clarke’s head!

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

It seems the people who present the trophies now stand with their driver, I think that was how the GP2 podium was done as well. I can’t say I like that and I hope it’s a one off. The interviews on the podium worked better than in GP2, I’m more interested in what Mark Webber has to say after a race than a GP2 driver. I still don’t like the music as the drivers walk onto the podium and then as the trophies are presented.

Profile photo of Bullfrog
    Bullfrog
    Participant

Champagne is the best way of moving politicians out of the way…so I agree with Slr – presentations, then champagne, then interviews would be better.

I liked the interviews – the drivers looked happier up there addressing the crowd than they often do in the press room, and it was a good start to have Mark Webber, who’s always worth listening to, and Jackie Stewart. It’ll be interesting when the title battle gets tense, or there are bad losers and victims of team orders up there!

It was the longest ever line of girls on the way up to the podium. I wish they’d update that by getting rid of it (at risk of re-opening a can of recent worms), it’s not 1972. The drivers don’t help by walking past them as if they’re not there.

Profile photo of bcfc2
    bcfc2
    Participant

Shame the paddock club people couldnt see it (not) bet its moved next year after they all complain to berni

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.