Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 1 minute ago

F1 discussion

New F1 teams

Tagged: 

This topic contains 33 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Merck Merck 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@mojopixel – They went quiet after HRT’s assets were sold.

Merck
    Participant

Who ever they are, it has to be a 1st class, high tech and competitive team or teams; no one misses HRT and there is no excitement, at least yet, on Caterham or Marussia. VW Group (Porsche/Audi/Lamborghini ) would be very welcome, as well as Honda

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

VW Group (Porsche/Audi/Lamborghini ) would be very welcome

And they have repeatedly said that they’re not interested, even when the original 2014 engine regualtions – which called for inline-fours instead of V6s – were specifically designed to try and get them into the sport; they were even a key player in the early negotiations before losing interest (which is why we got the V6s instead).

as well as Honda

It’s funny you should say that there is “no excitement over Marussia or Caterham” with one breath, and the say Honda would be welcome with the next, considering the last time Honda entered the sport as a manufacturer. Popular belief has them supplying engines to McLaren from 2015, which would probably be the extent of their involvement.

Force Maikel
    Participant

Discusing new teams is nice but is the FIA even looking for teams for 2014? I don’t think they have but they should definitely do so for 2015.

DavidS
    Participant

What about Hyundai?
    They are doing quite well at the moment, and entering F1 may help them shake the perception of being cheap, boring cars.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

They’re concentrating on the i20 WRC at the moment.

Ash

BMW, VW, Porsche, Chevrolet, Toyota, Citroen, Peugeot, Subaru, Nissan

Nick
    Participant

@DavidS Don’t take this personally, but Hyundai have been rumored to enter F1 since 2002 at least. Google’s first page shows me sources going back to 2006 and I remember Jos Verstappen’s website reporting about Hyundai having an engine running back in 2003 or so.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/23/hyundai-to-enter-f1-in-2010/

Michael
    Participant

OK all, good points, but this doesn’t have to be realistic. What teams would you like to see enter, not necessarily could or should or even want to enter, but what would you like to see on the grid.

For example, I’m an American, I would love to see a revived Eagle, Shadow, or Ford/GM/Chrysler team, but I think it would be hilarious to see what a team backed entirely by private investors (Bill Gates, Donald Trump, etc.) would do. Please, take the idea and run with it.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

If it’s semi-realistic new teams that we’re after, then perhaps GP2 team RUSSIAN TIME could enter Formula 1. They’ve got enough funding for two very talented drivers in Sam Bird and Tom Dillmann without the need for additional sponsorship, and they’ve made it known that they want to expand out to other categories. Although it’s probably more likely that they would buy into Marussia than establish their own team.

Merck
    Participant

Agree with Prisoner Monkeys regarding latest Honda F1 performance, but as Michael says, this is more like what I would like to see rather than what will happen…anyway Honda has the potential and tech resources, much more than the current small teams.
    Most part of their ex-F1 team, including the plant site itself, is now working only on development of future electric cars. Maybe we will see only some nice V6 turbos, not the cars, reminding the 1988 (?) 1,5 L qualifying version with 1000 + HP….

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I think the best way forward for Honda is to build a relationship with a team the way Mercedes did with McLaren prior to 2010. When Honda were a fully-fledged team, their problem was that the kept trying to run things from a boardroom in Tokyo, and there was no real relationship between that board and the team – the board would make a decision and the team would be lucky to be consulted about it. As a perfect example of this, Honda removed Geof Wills from his position in favour of Shuhei Nakamoto, because they wanted a Japanese national designing their cars, even though Wills was infinitely more talented.

But if they supply the engines and pour some money into the team whilst letting the team run themselves and make their own decisions, everyone is happy. Honda get all of the benefits in Formula 1, but with none of the risk of trying to run the team themselves. The team get funding and engines, and the ability to make decisions that are best for them.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@Prisoner Monkeys

I agree with that.

Fer no.65
    Participant
    Merck
    Participant

@Prisoner Monkeys
    Also agree, good point….
    If they ever decide to comeback, which teams would be the candidates for Honda engines? McLaren itself? Maybe Lotus? Would Honda want to go only with the “back of the grid” teams?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.