F1

New F1 website

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all.

I would like to share a website with you, that I and my friend made about F1 and just recently is put online. It’s basically a news aggregator website that shows the external articles in a smart way. We’re hoping to replace your daily F1 news fix by just one website.

Check it out: Link deleted

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Um, if I may … I wouldn’t go copy-pasting articles and images like that. Not without proper referencing at the least, and certainly not unless you’re paying publications to reproduce these articles (or at least have permission to do so). Putting “from Autosport.com” in the heading does not consitute referencing, and adding referencing is not a replacement for having permission.

I don’t mean to put a damper on your efforts here, but you can be held legally accountable for this – and Keith may be in trouble if you’re advertising on the site.

Icthyes
    Participant

PM is right, you might want to settle for links instead of having the stuff on your site. Otherwise, it’s a good idea and well done for making the effort.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@PM

First of all there is no copying involved… :) …secondly there is a link to the external article (that will lead to exiting the page) admittedly it involves a couple of steps( you need to maximize the article and then click close top bar, btw still on the same page ), it will be changed soon though , by adding the external link to the article info on the main list. Regarding your comment about images, its 100% legal to post thumbnails of the images…we have to thank mostly Google for that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Icthyes

Thanks for appreciating the effort :)

nik

@jaqb there is nothing wrong with building a media aggregator, for eg. techmeme.com does it for tech news. But copyright law dictates that you can only quote an article and its title, and general web etiquette is that you also link back to the source.

It is a good idea to have an F1 aggregator, but look at Techmeme and do it properly so that you don’t piss off content owners and authors. If you do it well, bloggers and journalists will work with you to promote your site since it is in their best interest.

I have experience in this area so if you would like a hand or anything, I can give you my email address.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

First of all there is no copying involved…

Then why is your article on Richard Branson reaffirming his commitment to Virgin Racing identical to Autosport’s?

Yours:

Richard Branson has confirmed that he will continue to support the Virgin Racing team in 2011 – and is ready to accept less branding on the car so the outfit can give more space to other sponsors.

The entrepreneur began his tie-up with the outfit from the start of this season, having entered Formula 1 as a sponsor of the title-winning Brawn GP team in 2009.

And although Branson has previously been reluctant to state that he will definitely remain a part of Virgin Racing in the future, especially during the team’s early season troubles, he has now made it clear that he is wholly committed for 2011.

“Yes, for sure,” he said when asked whether Virgin would continue its support of the team.

“It’s been a fun season and we’ve still got to beat Lotus, and have a few more races to do it. Nick Wirth [technical director] is back in the factory working on the car for next season, and I think we’ve made a good start anyway.”

Branson revealed that he would be happy for his Virgin companies to get less exposure on the car in 2011 if space was needed to attract other sponsors and partners.

“I suspect these guys seem to be doing quite well on sponsorship for next year and if they do that, then more space will be taken up by outside sponsors,” he said. “But that is a positive thing.

“We obviously hope to be able to keep Virgin on the back of the car but ultimately it is up to these guys how many sponsors they get.”

Although Virgin Racing is still behind Lotus in the battle of the new teams, Branson is happy with how the campaign has panned out.

“As I said at the beginning of the season, we knew we were going to be the underdogs again, and we went into it with our eyes open and it is fun building a new team from scratch,” he said.

“I think the team are delivering what they have promised on reliability and so on. The amount of money this team is spending is maybe £20 million less than Lotus. So to be almost matching them car for car is great, and our reliability has been better.”

And even though Virgin is not achieving the levels of success it enjoyed with Brawn GP last year, Branson still thinks he is getting good value exposure with his current venture

“We didn’t spend much money last year and we haven’t spent much money this year,” he said. “The Virgin brand is strong and it attracts other sponsors, so people want to be involved with the Virgin cars. It has worked well for us both years.

“Obviously the coverage was more when you are winning, but we were just ridiculously lucky last year and don’t get many of those in a lifetime.”

Autosport’s:

Richard Branson has confirmed that he will continue to support the Virgin Racing team in 2011 – and is ready to accept less branding on the car so the outfit can give more space to other sponsors.

The entrepreneur began his tie-up with the outfit from the start of this season, having entered Formula 1 as a sponsor of the title-winning Brawn GP team in 2009.

And although Branson has previously been reluctant to state that he will definitely remain a part of Virgin Racing in the future, especially during the team’s early season troubles, he has now made it clear that he is wholly committed for 2011.

“Yes, for sure,” he said when asked whether Virgin would continue its support of the team.

“It’s been a fun season and we’ve still got to beat Lotus, and have a few more races to do it. Nick Wirth [technical director] is back in the factory working on the car for next season, and I think we’ve made a good start anyway.”

Branson revealed that he would be happy for his Virgin companies to get less exposure on the car in 2011 if space was needed to attract other sponsors and partners.

“I suspect these guys seem to be doing quite well on sponsorship for next year and if they do that, then more space will be taken up by outside sponsors,” he said. “But that is a positive thing.

“We obviously hope to be able to keep Virgin on the back of the car but ultimately it is up to these guys how many sponsors they get.”

Although Virgin Racing is still behind Lotus in the battle of the new teams, Branson is happy with how the campaign has panned out.

“As I said at the beginning of the season, we knew we were going to be the underdogs again, and we went into it with our eyes open and it is fun building a new team from scratch,” he said.

“I think the team are delivering what they have promised on reliability and so on. The amount of money this team is spending is maybe £20 million less than Lotus. So to be almost matching them car for car is great, and our reliability has been better.”

And even though Virgin is not achieving the levels of success it enjoyed with Brawn GP last year, Branson still thinks he is getting good value exposure with his current venture

“We didn’t spend much money last year and we haven’t spent much money this year,” he said. “The Virgin brand is strong and it attracts other sponsors, so people want to be involved with the Virgin cars. It has worked well for us both years.

“Obviously the coverage was more when you are winning, but we were just ridiculously lucky last year and don’t get many of those in a lifetime.”

secondly there is a link to the external article (that will lead to exiting the page)

Not good enough. You need a full reference, plus permission to reproduce.

nik

Also get rid of that stupid ad block banner, people run ad block not to see stuff like that (I have already added the banner to my block list). It just makes the site look cheap.

This is the one I am talking about:

http://imgur.com/WepUn.png

Anonymous
    Inactive

I certainly don’t want to piss off the articles sites owners, but I think as long as we don’t copy text and paste it on our website we will be alright. I know tons of sites that use iframes for viewing the external websites and some are up and running for decades now…

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I think as long as we don’t copy text and paste it on our website we will be alright.

Um, again with the Virgin article. You might not have copied and pasted text, but they’re still identical. It doesn’t matter what you think, it’s what the owners of the article think, and I know Autosport don’t even like having their articles reproduced on their own forums. You’re opening yourself up to a serious copyright violation.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@nik. You can just click on the banner and it will not show up anymore.

@PM It’s because your are copying the same websites :) Its an iframe. IT IS actually autosport.com.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

You’ll still need permission to reproduce.

Anonymous
    Inactive

By opening iframe you are actually visiting autosport.com, you are opening their site, their content, their everything… you can click the maximize button to see what’s happening.

nik

@jaqb sorry but that isn’t good enough. You are cutting out the remainder of their sites including their advertising (which is how the sites pay for the writers who write the articles). You also do not link to the original article. I suggest you drop the IFRAME all together and just link to the original article, you can have it open in a new window by default.

Otherwise these sites are just going to block you, I know because I have spent a lot of time blocking sites just like this who republish our content (I am/was involved with a very large blog).

“I know tons of sites that use iframes for viewing the external websites”

Yes and those sites are spammers (splogs, more accurately). You can make a decision now to be on the good side of the content authors or on the bad side. If you pick the bad side you won’t get genuine visitors, but you can play SEO games with their content and run the risk of Google completely dropping your domain.

If one of my sites was featured on your site what I would be doing now is emailing you and giving you 24 hours or so to change your site and insert proper attribution and to conform with both copyright rules and the terms of our own sites’ conditions on quoting and republishing content. If you didn’t conform within 24 hours or get back to us in some way, I would immediately be blocking your site from indexing ours (easy to do) and then emailing Google to drop your domain all together – which places you into web purgatory.

With the way that the site is right now, I can tell you that the bigger media companies you are scraping (Autosport, ESPN etc.) will do exactly what I described. Some of the more agressive companies will even send you a C&D via their lawyers.

So please take our advice and adjust what you are doing. I can understand that it can be an honest mistake, but if you persist after you have been told what is right/wrong then you are asking to be blacklisted.

As I mentioned in my previous post, there is a way to legitimately do this, and it could prove popular with F1 enthusiasts. Please check out the site I linked earlier – http://www.techmeme.com – to see how it is done properly. That site quotes and links back, and is very successful with its own advertising (in the order of ~$100k a month). If you do this the legit way there is no reason why an F1 aggregator could not be just as successful.

Thread closed. No advertising allowed, especially not for content-scraping websites that infringe copyright and try to make quick money from other people’s hard work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.