• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 1 hour, 51 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Next new winner?

This topic contains 99 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Aditya F. Yahya Aditya F. Yahya 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

@Enigma good; but I still don’t think he’s anywhere near a champion in waiting. As Brundle and DC have said before he lacks that last tenth – that little spark that differentiates champions from race winners; and race winners from just “good” drivers.

Profile photo of Boyce
    Boyce
    Participant

People give Rosberg a hard time. I’m not sure how much better he could have done in the cars he’s driven. He was such a consistent points scorer at Williams and has carried that on at Mercedes. He’s looking at being 7th in the WDC for the third time in a row which is the best possible when you haven’t been in a McLaren/Ferrari/Red Bull/Brawn.

Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

I hear what you’re saying @Boyce but getting 7th, in the 4th best car; is quite a bit easier than getting 1st in the best car; weird as it may seem.

I remember being absolutely perplexed in Bahrain 2010 when he couldn’t make an impression on Vettel running on 7 cylinders

Profile photo of Boyce
    Boyce
    Participant

I’m not convinced the Williams was the fourth best car in 2009. It wasn’t as bad as Nakajima made it look though.

I do remember that race…I wondered if he was low on fuel but there was no mention of that afterwards. Rosberg put it down to the dirty air which does seem a crap excuse.

Profile photo of David-A
    David-A
    Participant

The Williams was probably the 5th or 6th best by the end of the year, behind Brawn, Red Bull, Mclaren and Ferrari, plus maybe Toyota.

I rate Rosberg as I do Kubica- very decent drivers in non-race winning machinery, that I can’t rate or compare to the big four (Vettel and Alonso, then Hamilton and Button) yet.

Profile photo of AndrewTanner
    AndrewTanner
    Participant

I’m going to go with the trend here and say Rosberg. I don’t think he’s a race winner in waiting necessarily but I do think he has the best chance at the moment.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I’m going to go on a limb and say Paul di Resta.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

It’s bleak but I don’t see any new people winning races this year or next. There’s too many very good drivers who have already won races for someone else to win. Unless Merc and Renault can bring a very much improved car for next season then expect the same 5 drivers winning next year. As for my prediction, the whole aim of the thread, I would probably say Rosberg if next years car is good enough. If not whenever a good driver can move to one of the bigger teams I.E Perez to Ferrari then don’t expect race winner #103 anytime soon

Profile photo of James_mc
    James_mc
    Participant

I think Rosberg or Di Resta. However, I can’t see Rosberg winning it until Mercedes produce a better machine, or there is a freak race (e.g. Monza 2008) and I can’t see Di Resta winning until he’s in something better such as a Mercedes (again previous circumstances apply).

Profile photo of Girts
    Girts
    Participant

And the correct answer is… ROSBERG!

Congratulations to all those who named him as the next new winner :) It’s interesting to reread our discussion now.

Profile photo of Fixy
    Fixy
    Participant

I think now the next new winner will be Vergne. I think he’s slightly better than Ricciardo, and if Webber was to quit he could have a seat in a Red Bull, which isn’t bad.
    It could be Ricciardo if he was promoted in Vergne’s place.
    It could be Perez if Massa was to be replaced for 2013, and if the team can build a faster car than the F2012.
    It could be either Hulkenberg or Di Resta if a seat was left vacant at Mercedes, but I don’t think it’ll happen too soon.

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

Should a new thread be opened, or just continue the discussion here? I’m guessing next might be Grosjean, but it is very difficult to judge. Or possibly Di Resta if he moves up to Mercedes next year. Although in that case it could equally be Perez in a Ferrari.

Profile photo of Slr
    Slr
    Participant

I’m thinking it will be either Grosjean, Kobayashi or Perez. If one of them win this year, I think it will be Grosjean.

Profile photo of Girts
    Girts
    Participant

@matt90 I think we can definitely continue the discussion here.

I believe that Perez is the most likely next new winner. I will be surprised if he doesn’t replace Massa at Ferrari in 2013 and it’s also just a matter of time when Ferrari will have a winning car again.

As for the Red Bull youngsters, it’s hard to say who and if any of both is going to be promoted to a Red Bull seat in 2013. But if either Vergne or Ricciardo gets there, then, of course, their chances of winning a race are high.

At the moment it looks like Schumacher is going to stay with Mercedes for at least one more year, I think he will want to taste the fruits of the last two years’ hard work himself. And I still don’t see Lotus as potential race winners.

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

My bet for the next new winner is Perez. If he doesn’t do it this year in the Sauber by some miracle then it would probably come next year when he inevitably ends up at Maranello.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.