F1

Next new winner?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Enigma
    Participant

3 years ago Heikki Kovalainen won the Hungarian GP, becoming the 100th GP winner in formula one’s history, at least championship history. We have 102 different winners now, and it’s been more than two years since
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh3_tXRRR8o

The question is, who will be 103rd?

The obvious choice is Rosberg, who is probably the best driver in the best car, if we exclude race winners. Plus, with Mercedes’s money and people they look likely to produce a race-winning car sooner or later. Rosberg is probably realisticaly the only new winner we can get next year. I’d also give a small chance to anyone driving in Renault, be it Petrov, Senna or Grosjean, if Renault somehow manages to make a fantastic car.

From 2013 there’s many more: Perez, if he goes to Ferrari, di Resta, if he goes to Mercedes, and Alguersuari, Ricciardo or Vergne, if any of them goes to Red Bull.

So, who do you think will be the next new winner in F1, the 103rd? And who after that?

Girts
    Participant

I think it basically depends on 2 factors: 1) The strength of Mercedes 2012 car 2) The 2013 driver market

If Mercedes manages to build a winning car for 2012 then Rosberg is very likely to become the 103rd GP winner. If not, then it might as well be Ricciardo / Vergne / Alguersuari in a Red Bull, Perez in a Ferrari or di Resta in a Mercedes.

My feeling is that Mercedes will not be quite there in 2012 yet so I’ll just say the lucky 103rd will be driving a Red Bull and it’s gonna happen in 2013.

GeeMac
    Participant

Narain Karthikeyan, he’ll win this weekend. :)

Girts
    Participant

@GeeMac Bet £100 on that, you’re gonna become a millionaire :)

Scribe
    Participant

No new winners this year obviously, but it depends, as usual on the cars. SO for next year, quite honestly, I don’t see any change, this generation should dominaite for a while yet.

George
    Participant

Really tough question, I think Sutil could nab a win with a lot of luck. Waiting for new drivers to get into top teams is boring :P.

raymondu999
    Participant

Never mind non race winners. The only race winners this year are world champions! Even non-champion previous grand prix winners like Mark/Massa aren’t getting a look in!

matt90
    Participant

If I’ve researched this correctly…

The last time only champions won every race in a season was 1993, but that included future champions Hill and Schumacher. There has never been a season where only existing champions won races. This year might be the first ever.

(that’s even if you discount the Indy 500 from the 50’s)

Enigma
    Participant
    matt90
    Participant

@enigma
    haha, and there was me thinking I was being original. What a waste of time trawling through every year to see if only champions had won every race before! If I didn’t say so before, congrats on working that out.

KeeleyObsessed
    Participant

Who’s to say Rosberg won’t win a race this year? Schumi’s been ‘best of the rest’ for a few races now (until his retirements in Singapore and Korea)

I also wouldn’t count out Sauber/Force India for a 2012 win, they are moving up the field and could cause a surprise next year. I’d love to see a ‘midfield’ team win a race..

But anyone who doesn’t say Rosberg must have a very good reason imo..

raymondu999
    Participant

@KeeleyObsessed for me not to say Rosberg is a simple reason. I know very few people share my sentiments but I think he’s overrated. I think an awful lot would have to go right for him to win a race; and at best, in my view – a Fisichella who would only win a few races even if he had the best car

KeeleyObsessed
    Participant

@raymondu999 I know how you feel about Rosberg, I think Webber is far too over-rated, I’ve waited for a season like this one to prove it..

Rosberg was (and still is) putting up a brave fight to Schumi in Mercedes, I think it’ll be a great shame if he doesn’t get a win…

Enigma
    Participant

@raymondu999 @keeleyobsessed

Schumacher is the most sucessful driver in F1’s history and one of the best ever. He says he’s slightly slower than he was but says that because of experience he’s better overall, as the complete package. He and Rosberg have similar number of points and are very similar in performance.

I think that proves that Rosberg is indeed a very good driver.

Enigma
    Participant

@matt90 Now I’m sorry I did it first :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 145 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.