• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 3 hours, 50 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Next new winner?

This topic contains 99 replies, has 47 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Aditya F. Yahya Aditya F. Yahya 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’m convinced the Monaco winner will be either Hamilton [...] or Raikkonen.
    Which would still make for six winners in six races.

Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys yes, but this thread is about new NEW winners, is it not? About first time GP winners, such as Maldonado and Rosberg this year.

Now that I think of it clearly – I don’t know if I should even write Hamilton there. He seems to have gone for a more consistent, focused approach that has seen far less mistakes from him, but I wonder if that’s taken the edge of speed off him – a loss that would compound itself somewhere like Monaco.

Profile photo of alexf1man
    alexf1man
    Participant

@Bradley13 well done for suggesting that Maldonado could be the next new winner.

Profile photo of magon4
    magon4
    Participant

Don’t forget Bruno. I believe that if Maldonado can do it, so can Bruno.
    Just want to be the first to have said it.

Profile photo of Todfod
    Todfod
    Participant

Gotta agree with PM. My gut says it’s either Kimi or Lewis winning the next race at Monaco.

I would put money on 8 different race winners this season.

What were the maximum number of different race winners we have had in any f1 season so far? I’m pretty sure this is going to be a record breaking year.

Profile photo of Andrew81
    Andrew81
    Participant

Given how the last three races have gone, it is likely that the pole sitter in Monaco will win. Given Hamilton’s strong qualifying form so far (top 2 in every race before penalties), he would be my tip for the win there. Having said that, Barcelona showed us that trying to predict anything this season is a dangerous game. As for a new winner, Grosjean is most likely but it could be either of the Saubers, Senna or even one of the Force Indias and it could come at any circuit (if Maldonado can win at Barcelona, anything can happen).

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@magon4

Don’t forget Bruno. I believe that if Maldonado can do it, so can Bruno.

I woudn’t be so quick to rush to a conclusion if I were you. Mika Salo reckons Bottas will race this year after talking to Frank Williams in Barcelona.

Even if Senna does manage to retain his seat, I think the odds are against him. Like I said, if the team want to win again this year, then they need to make sure they get everything perfect from the minute they arrive at the circuit. Based on what we’ve seen from him so far, I don’t think Bruno Senna can hold it together long enough. Especially since it would have to be at one of the four remaining races (he ran in Melbourne) where he will have the car in FP1 so that he has as much time in the car as possible.

Profile photo of magon4
    magon4
    Participant

I thought you would comment PM.
    We’ve seen Maldonado “not get it together” for a weekend quite a few times, too. All in all one must admit that if you can get into a position of starting high up on the grid, life does become easier. Maldonado was wonderful yesterday, but Senna has shown that he can match his pace (although he didn’t last weekend).
    So the main key for him would be start at least in the Top 6, and that is indeed a difficult call for him. But I wouldn’t say it’s impossible.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Sorry, but I’m not seeing it. Senna needs to address his racecraft before he can start thinking about winning.

Profile photo of magon4
    magon4
    Participant

Who would have though of Maldonado winning?
    Bruno can race, he needs to get a good Qualifying session.
    Let’s not forget he was second in GP2 2008, in front of Grosjean (4th), Maldonado (5th), Buemi (6th), Petrov (7th), team-mate Chandhok (10th) and Kamui Koba (16th).

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Who would have though of Maldonado winning?

You don’t become GP2 champion through sheer dumb luck.

If you look at Maldonado’s 2011 season, he was actually very close to Barrichello all season long, both in qualifying and the races. The impact of this feat was let down by a car that was lacklustre at best.

Now, it’s true, I didn’t expect Maldoando to win, or even challenge for a podium, and certainly not so soon after the disaster that was the FW33. But I never believed that he was out of his league, either. I think a lot of people would feel that way if they put aside their misgiving about him and the way he replaced Hulkenberg.

Bruno can race, he needs to get a good Qualifying session.

No, he needs an exceptional qualifying session, because with so many competitive teams and drivers this year, “good” simply isn’t good enough.

Let’s not forget he was second in GP2 2008

That’s the strongest argument you’ve got in favour of him? Results from four years ago in GP2?

Profile photo of Kingshark
    Kingshark
    Participant

I honestly think Bruno deserves a legit chance. Give him his FP1 and as much time in the car as possible.

Profile photo of magon4
    magon4
    Participant

Hey PM, calm down.
    I’m not a Bruno Senna fan at all, I just don’t think there is such a great difference between him and Maldonado. I think that is a pretty easy point to make.
    Maldonado is now out of that league because he has an impressive victory to his name. But up to this weekend, they were pretty much the same, with slight advantages for Maldonado.
    I still think what Pastor can do, Bruno can, too. But we’ll see, I might be wrong.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I still don’t think he’ll get that chance. Williams know they have pace, and they are clearly impressed with Bottas. I’m willing to bet that as soon as they can find a way to release Senna from his contract, they will. I think we could see him as early as Valencia (since Monaco is a very intimidating place to make a debut, and Bottas hasn’t driven Montreal).

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

He seems to have gone for a more consistent, focused approach that has seen far less mistakes from him, but I wonder if that’s taken the edge of speed off him – a loss that would compound itself somewhere like Monaco.

It certainly hasn’t taken away his speed in quali- he’s put himself on the front row at every race- and in Monaco that will matter a lot more than anywhere else.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.