F1

Only champions winning races

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Enigma
    Participant

I did a bit of research and realised something quite interesting: 2011 could be the first season in the history of formula one where only world champions won races. Vettel (8), Button (2), Hamilton (2) and Alonso (1) have won this year, and if they manage to win the remaining races (and Schumacher can as well) it will be the first time ever this has happened.

Something similar happened in 1963 and 1993, where the only drivers to win races were world champions, but there’s one difference – in 1963 Surtees won, but he wasn’t a world champion yet – same goes for Clark. In 1993 it’s the same for Schumacher and Hill.

1950 and 1953 were only won by world champions if you exclude the Indy 500, though again, Fangio and Hawthorn respectively were yet to win a title (and Farina in 1950).

Back to 2011, Webber is probably the only driver who can do something about that, perhaps Massa and Rosberg as well. If Vettel, Button, Hamilton and Alonso win the remaining races it’ll be pretty special. Even more so as it’s the longest season in the history.

And with the top 5 in the Italian GP being only champions (first time ever), it arguably shows what a quality grid we have.

raymondu999
    Participant

Do you mean only current and former champions, or do you mean out of any year of future/past champions winning? i.e. if for example Webber didn’t win races last year we’d get the same 4 people winning; except Vettel wouldn’t be world champion yet. Does that count?

Kingshark
    Participant

Do you mean only current and former champions, or do you mean out of any year of future/past champions winning? i.e. if for example Webber didn’t win races last year we’d get the same 4 people winning; except Vettel wouldn’t be world champion yet. Does that count?

I don’t think so because Vettel wasn’t champion yet.

raymondu999
    Participant

Yes but you could argue that if Webber didn’t win in 2010 it would only have ben champions or future champions winning races.

Enigma
    Participant

Do you mean only current and former champions, or do you mean out of any year of future/past champions winning?

As I said in my post, in 1963 and 1993 that happened, with Surtees and Hill respectively not having won titles yet. This year it’s only former. Last year Vettel wouldn’t count as champion as he wasn’t one yet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You really are Statman! :P

raymondu999
    Participant

Actually there is one guy who does keep a record of all these stats from the beginning of time. Well the beginning of F1 anyways. You could follow him at @virtualstatman on Twitter; Sean Kelly. Very friendly and does answer questions about statistics

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah I realised this the other week, didn’t think to research it or make a post for it though. Glad you did as it’s really interesting to see that its a very rare occasion. You can probably expect some dodgy F1 end of season review DVD title if it stays this way “2011 F1 Seasons – The season of champions”.

raymondu999
    Participant

I would think that FOM would make up a cornier name like Clash of the Titans or Battle of the Champions something

Ratboy
    Keymaster

But if Webber wins a race this year then WDC next year we could have 3 seasons where WDC would have won races only on the trot.

unless of course someone else wins next year

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Well sussed Enigma. I almost don’t want Webber, or anyone that’s not a WDC to win now!

mnmracer
    Participant

I would pay good money to see Schumacher win the last five races :D

Maybe see Hakkinen return to win a race for McLaren after… uhm… Hamilton decided to partake in the 2011-bumper car championship instead.

sbl on tour
    Participant

bet our fellow ulsterman, maurice hamilton knew that stat, and 1000 others besides!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ahah interesting stat! Maybe the fact we have a so huge number of WDC counts.. How many championships in the past could have 5 world champions on the grid?

Asanator
    Participant

I doubt he did SBL! He would probably have had to look it up in his ancient old notebook and then upon regurgitation slipped in some nonsense anti-Schumacher or Ferrari sentiment.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.